CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Road runner
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok first of all I'm no dog trainer. Idk much about training a dog. But I have a 21 month old walker male that will tree by hiself or with other dogs. But here lately he has picked up a bad trait that I dont like. When I cut him loose he tears out through the woods like nothing else and hunts good for a little while but if he don't strike nothing he will come back right to the truck just outta reach and haul ##*%* down the road for a good ways and then hit the woods again. The last two times he's done he has went in and treed so he is still hunting I just don't like the thought of my dog running the road. Is there anything I should do. I don't know how to handle this?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Road runner
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:04 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

This is my thought .... leash him up walk him in the woods a long ways cut him loose see what he does!! But get him the hell away from the road!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well when we turn him loose its always a good ways from the road.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have BOTH volumes of walk with wick and from what He says hook the dog close to a road that gets some traffic hide in the woods so the dog cant see you but so you can make sure no one takes your dog and every time a car passes tickle him with a shock collar every time a car passes make sure it is not your car or any car the dog sees every day do it for about 30 minutes or so and repeat 5-7 days so he thinks the cars are reaching out and hurting him. DO NOT KNOW IF IT WORKS OR NOT haven't tried myself but I need to cause they will always hit a road every know and then. YOU REALLY SHOULD BUY THE BOOKS WALK WITH WICK They have alot of interesting things in them I bought mine from TRITRONICS. GOOD LUCK :mrgreen:

Post subject: Road runner
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Did that method the two days I had a collar. Worked great, had a dog next to the road, a car got in hearing distance and she took off from it. I don't think it helps you with running the roads though. As the dog isn't afraid of the road, just the cars coming.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This dog is young and he needs (road broke) really bad.Before he gets killed.. Chances are He will keep doing this..Try the Wick method it should work..I cant see it hurting him at all..I would still keep a lighted dog collar on him at all times.I know its saved my dogs lifes many many times when crossing roads.It also helps catching a dog when it gets close to or on the road..You need to work with how hes handling.(Thats you main problem).Once he gets close then runs off just wont work..The shocking collar can help..Use a long rope about 50 ft if you can..Call him and if he wont come pull on the rope.If he still dont come shock him on the lowest setting..If you have to keep going up in levels until hes coming to you when you call..It will take a while with some dogs. Just keep working with him until you think hes 100% broke.If you dont have a shocking collar you can try dog treats..((It really helps)) to walk or run the dog before trying to work with them..Try to get all there pinned up energy out first.Then they will be easyer to work with...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Last edited by Chet McCreary on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Has he ever been turned on coon that crossed the road ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

No he ain't never since I've had him. He's not even a year old and we put him with another dog that's just over a year old so I'm just wondering if their puppy in them was coming out

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Tyler40 wrote:
No he ain't never since I've had him. He's not even a year old and we put him with another dog that's just over a year old so I'm just wondering if their puppy in them was coming out

lol.. some people hunt more then one pup or young dog together, but i have learned long ago putting knuckle heads together is just asking for troubles.. i only put one pup or one young dog with one solid broke dog at a time. or the young dog or pup all alone. i'm real picky on what i will turn my pup or young dog loose with. its alot easier to get problems started then it is to stop them after they start.
i hunt them with a dog that goes into the woods like i want. once the pup learns the coon are in there,then they want to go to the woods when hunted alone too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well i mean he's always been a straight dog. No trash and a Hell of a tree dog. He's always pretty accurate. Not to many slick trees. He's not really a knucklehead he just got that bad habit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

no, i did'nt mean your dog was a knuckle head.
just my nick name for any young dog i am hunting. mine will answer to that and dummy pretty good.
i don't really have any advice to help you stop him from going back and running the road.
sure wish i could help.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

that training collar should do the trick. must have consistency. phase in the tone option along with a strong voice command. wait by the truck and have someone else cut him inside the woods.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yea hes got to where he will come to dumbass lol I love this dog he's by far one of the best dogs I've ever had. I just wish he would quit what he is doin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i don't understand how the dog is going to make the connection with coming out of the woods to the road as why its getting shocked.
i can see shocking the dog to make him come to me to keep him from running the road once he does come out..and i see the connection the dog made with the cars, doing it like wick did to teach the dog that the shock was connected to the cars on the road by shocking it when one passed.
being put back in the dog box and having to sit and listen to a dog in the woods trailing and treeing would get it through the pups head if he comes out he is put in the box and misses out.. which would maybe make him want to stay in the woods.
i don't often say another dog would help. but another dog that will go into the woods and stay hunting in the woods would be my best shot at getting the pup to stay in there and learn thats where he should be hunting.. i had one that had been turned on coon crossing the road and he would come out and hunt the road where he had found hot tracks before.when he came out to go to the road i just put him in the dog box and made him listen to another dog run and tree in the woods while he missed out.it did'nt take him very many times to relize he needed to keep his butt in the woods cause if he came back he was put back in the dog box..it was easy for him to make the connection with coming back and going in the box. but thats just me, i have to understand myself how the dog will make the connection with the action and the correction before i will try it on one of my dogs..
common sense is your best training tool. use your common sense when you decide what advice to follow. its your dog.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I did that the last time he came out and I caught him. Maybe he will catch on. I made a mistake in that one post. I said he wasn't even a year old I meant he wasn't even two yet