CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: breaking from deer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:25 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

guaranteed to work: get 12 gauge auto shotgun and fill full of shells. Beat him to the next crossing or where ever you see him in action, start firing away over his back. Give a good hands on talking to. No beating, no electricity, no rope, no barrels. Just one of these experiences may be enough. A dog just does not like sudden loud noises and never want to be around them again. Make him gun shy? No. Cause a 22 is all you shoot at coon and when he hears that pop, he starts looking for meat to fall.......Tried and proved.............Now I know what you are thinking. People hunt squirrels with dogs and big guns, but they are associated with loud noises. Most coon dogs are not.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've broken many dogs from deer without a collar. In fact I'm hunting a 15 month old blue right now that I used this trick on last week and broke the problem. Some dogs are easier than others. The particular dog I'm hunting right now is a fast learner. Only took one outing.

What you do is get into a creek somewhere, preferably during early morning daylight so you can see, and walk your dog in the creek on the leash. The point is that you can see the the track in the sand and know whether it's coon, deer, etc. As soon as the dog turns on a deer or other trash pop it one time with the leash. Don't beat the dog or you'll get it scared of you. Just jerk the dog away from the track and pop it one good time. When it picks up on a coon track pet him up real good and be prepared to follow him through whatever it takes to let him follow the track and keep praise him along the way. Do that for a few hours and he'll start ignoring deer tracks he crosses and openin up good on coon tracks. Once he gets the hang of it praise him, feed him, put him up and hunt him hard that night. I've got a 100% success rate with this method over the past 14 years, trained 8 dogs that way. Like I said, some dogs may take six or eight days of doing this to ever stick with it. Others, like the one I'm fortunate enough to be hunting now, pick it up in 4 hours and never trash again. Sorry for the short novel here but that's my two cents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:37 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Toe Cutter! tell em how you broke your good deer runner that would run em down in get them bayed. I believe it was one out of Big hill banjo. LMAO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just wondering if anyone has ever done it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

he is 15 months old and just found a new love for deer. shocker broke the first night he ran one, couldnt stop him.now working on breaking him off. turned him out on a doe a shocked the crap out of him the other night. the next night he ran another.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

LCK wrote:
coleman wrote:
PageHunter wrote:
have you actually tried the deer leg in a barrel thing, or is that just your opinion on it.

I HAVE seen it done once, and watched the owner pull his dead dog out of the barrel at the bottom of the hill.I know of 2 other people that tried it,one's dog didn't die, but was crippled from a broken back.The other had no obvious injuries,but associated the barrel with one thing- the jackass that stuffed him INTO the barrel and caused the dog to be so screwed up he could never again get his hands on him.There is no such thing as a quick or easy way of training a coon dog.The next time someone tells you about an "easy" or "quick" fix, ask them if they would do it to THEIR dog.As far as trying it out on a "worthless mutt",I don't know of any dog that ASKED to be born,and certainly doesn't deserve to be tortured because of your opinion of him.Saying stuff like that on an open forum certainly helps give all coonhunters a bad name.Take him to the pound- that "worthless mutt"may be the best Christmas present some little girl ever got.

Thanks Coleman.

The above deserves a review. It's pursuant to the moronic idea of placing a dog in a barrel with a deer leg then rolling it down a hill - to break it off deer. I grew up with a guy who claimed to be my dad who was full of fool-ass ideas like this which had been passed on to him by other fools. Say what you want about experience, but if you keep repeating the same stupidity, then your experience just hardens your head instead of enlightening you. A diligent, thoughtful reader will pass you up in no time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:43 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i have a deer tail and leg off one my uncle killed earlier today, is there anything i can do with this to break me dog?