CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: timid dog need help!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a catahola give to me the other day he is 9 months old and verry shy. He got away from me about 4 days ago and he wont get within 20 ft of me. Any ideas on how to catch him. Bout ready to send him on and get my collar back. I thought about a bigger live trap or a dart gun.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:15 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

chiggerbawl wrote:
I got a catahola give to me the other day he is 9 months old and verry shy. He got away from me about 4 days ago and he wont get within 20 ft of me. Any ideas on how to catch him. Bout ready to send him on and get my collar back. I thought about a bigger live trap or a dart gun.

try coaxing him to you with another dog or bait him into the barn or garage where you can shut the door behind him. cook some hotdogs with bacon and leave him a trail in.
yrs ago i had a beagle on trial, i turned her loose in the yard and it took me 4 days to catch her. i had to leap dive her once i forced her into the thick brush.
very frustrating to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ive already tried the other dog he comes to check out what we are doing then halls off if i make a move. I spent a few hours today tryin to get him in to going into a pen that i had a rope tied around the top of the gate so i could pull it shut but he never would go in there and eat. I havnt let him eat since he been loose. When i feed i let the other dogs eat and what they dont finsh i pick back up so he cant slip over there and eat. I am just about ready to snipe him he bays my other dogs and they just sit there and face bark allnight long. Gonna try the wenier thing tomorrow then prolly get rid of him if it dont work.

Post subject: Black and tan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I adopted a black and tan that has been abused two days ago, she is very shy and I was wondering when would be an appropriate time to try her in the woods, if ever, she is about a year and half old, was found on a dirt road only skin, figuring someone didn't have patience and that's why she was abused any advice would he greatly appreciated

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re: Black and tan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Also her bark isn't very pronounced, I'm thinking dehydration???

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm having similar problems with a year old plott. I've had him a month or so and the previous owner said he was rough with him cause he barked all the time. This dog is very timid but will come to you and is playful. He hasn't been messed with before me and I have had him on caged coon and been hunting him with other dogs. So far he will get out with the other dogs and open up on track and tree sometimes but he wont jump on the coon when we shoot one out. The other dogs will jump on it but he just steps back and wants nothing to do with it. I think he still has a lot of pup in him since he has not been allowed to be a pup before me. Any tips or tricks for this type of dog or is patience my only answer? I keep hoping something will click in him to give him that drive but so far just small improvements.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

chiggerbawl wrote:
Ive already tried the other dog he comes to check out what we are doing then halls off if i make a move. I spent a few hours today tryin to get him in to going into a pen that i had a rope tied around the top of the gate so i could pull it shut but he never would go in there and eat. I havnt let him eat since he been loose. When i feed i let the other dogs eat and what they dont finsh i pick back up so he cant slip over there and eat. I am just about ready to snipe him he bays my other dogs and they just sit there and face bark allnight long. Gonna try the wenier thing tomorrow then prolly get rid of him if it dont work.

========================================================================================================
I would try feeding the dog!!! If you can get him looking just set a pan of feed down and turn around and walk off and don't look back. After doing this for about a week he should begin to show trust .

If a dog is shy it's most always an inherited trait and about the best you can do is make it a one man dog that just loves you to death.

The Swamp Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

jethrotn wrote:
I'm having similar problems with a year old plott. I've had him a month or so and the previous owner said he was rough with him cause he barked all the time. This dog is very timid but will come to you and is playful. He hasn't been messed with before me and I have had him on caged coon and been hunting him with other dogs. So far he will get out with the other dogs and open up on track and tree sometimes but he wont jump on the coon when we shoot one out. The other dogs will jump on it but he just steps back and wants nothing to do with it. I think he still has a lot of pup in him since he has not been allowed to be a pup before me. Any tips or tricks for this type of dog or is patience my only answer? I keep hoping something will click in him to give him that drive but so far just small improvements.

patients like you said. don't try and force anything on him, just let him come along on his own.
a dog aint got to fight and kill a coon to do it right and tree em. he will get to being more aggressive towards the coon once he gets comfortable with the game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:14 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Any dog will learn recall, if you your dog won't come to you it either doesn't know the command, doesn't respect you or is scared of you. Figure it out and adjust your training accordingly. A dog should never cower from its trainer. This is a sign of poor training techniques, or unfamiliariaty. A dog doesn't learn when it is being stressed from fear. Anybody can train a dog by beating it into submission aka cowering, but it takes a lot more smarts and hardwork to bring up a dog that desires, lives and breathes to work for you out of pure enjoyment, admiration and respect.