CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:47 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

A training collar will fix the recall LOL just don't abuse it and with starting a dog it's better to use live training aids caged coons or run with other dogs ..... If u use a lead make sure ur fast enough to keep up with her but once again a good collar can let u control her from a distance just use sparingly if u decide to go that route

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:07 pm 
IP:
How easy it is to teach a dog to recall depends on how eager they are to please you (in my opinion). My dog is very eager to please me, in fact, when we're both at the tree he's looking at me half the time when he bawls. He's doing what he thinks I want, so training him was pretty easy.

I have a fenced in back yard so it was easy for me to teach him that coming when I call is fun. I am only able to use praise because he doesn't care about treats or even meat when he's running around.

Then when he was doing it very well I used a 40 foot long rope and repeated the situation where we were by distractions. After about 1/2 hour he was coming back and the rope was slack each time.

Then we went into the woods and I'd let him get about 20 feet away and call him back (before he could get his nose on anything). Slowly let the distance up.

I couldn't afford a shock collar for a long time so that was the extent of his training. I also made sure not to call him back if I thought he wouldn't come--I did not want any set-backs where he saw he could get away with it. Eventually when I did get the shock collar I used it as a very long rope to get him to come back when he was far away. I've shocked him fewer than 25 times in the 3 or 4 years we've been hunting.

Don't know if that was the "proper" method but that's what I did and it worked.

He's just a naturally obedient dog, so I'm really lucky. Now if only he was a naturally talented coondog.... :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i need help when i call mine sometimes she'll come and sometimes ill call her and shell like run. i will call her and tone her with a shock collar and she runs harder. i haven't tried the jerk her back when i call her. because shes stout and pulls hard on the rope. what can i do to fix this. and when i call her she wont leave my feet for a few minutes. what should i try now??? she has alot of drive. likes to get out and hunt but have trouble getting her back.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:09 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i like to use dog biscuits when yardbreaking. dog comes to me, it gets a treat. carry it over to the woods. when you call dog in, he gets a treat, but not every time. some dogs will go a ways and come right back for the treat, you dont want that happening. they only get it when you call them in and not every time that you call them in. dont underestimate the value of a good petting and some vocal praise when a dog handles like he should. for more stubborn cases, an e collar is great. i like the bird dog collars with the beep and vibrate features. i use the beeper as a warning, can also be used as a locator when going in after a dog that lays down. i use a semi silent bird dog whistle to call mine in. really gets their attention and it is a bit stealthier than hollering and honking the horn, comes in handy sometimes.

Post subject: want come when i call .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My female is fine walkin she stays fairly close and I can call her when she's not to far but once she is gone I call and use the e collar she runs and hids?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

JacobB64 wrote:
My female is fine walkin she stays fairly close and I can call her when she's not to far but once she is gone I call and use the e collar she runs and hids?

work with her in the yard on a check cord a little more, then in the field dont try to call her until she is ready to be caught, then call and catch her. work a whistle or beeper on e collar into that. do that for a few trips out, then try your luck on calling her in from afar. give her a reason to want to be caught when you call, a treat or petting when caught. never scold a dog after calling it in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:11 am 
IP:
JacobB64 wrote:

It sounds like she knows the command but she's not quite putting 2 and 2 together during the moments when she runs far out--sort of like she's running along and then BAM, pain hits her so she gets scared and hides. While training my dog he bolted a couple times when I shocked him so I turned it down a level and it seemed to help. Started training at level 3 then moved it down to level 2 once we were in the woods and refining his training for longer distances. I don't know why that helped, seems like it should be the other way, but maybe that's just my dog for you. Only downside I've seen by lowering the level is that though he doesn't run away or get as scared, he also doesn't come running every time I call, sometimes he just walks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:29 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

JacobB64 wrote:

The way she runs and hides when u use the e collar tells me that she wasn't properly introduced to the e collar. An e collar is a great tool when utilized properly. The most important thing is acclimating the dog to the collar. The collar should be worn and taken on and off the dog for at least two weeks preferably a month before the collar is even turned on. You want the dog to look at that collar as just another piece of jewelry. Lol. You want the dog to think the shock is caused by his actions. You don't ever want that dog to figure out the shock come from you or the collar. If that happens you've pretty much ruined the dog for any future e collar work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I did all that I hunted her for a week with it off and just hoped I'd get my hands on her but I used the rope and everything is workin fine thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:06 am 
IP:
Let your dog go in a field with a shock collar on after calling it 3 times and if it doesn't call light em up not just a tickle really get em they will come every time after that if the dog has any sense

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i got a 6 month old black and tan yesterday my second time ever being out hunting im new to the game and was wanting some advice my dog is real shy and skitish when im around her i took her in my house trying to get her to trust me and get use to being around me i call her name she will not come could this be from her not being with her litter mate and should i run her before she gets use to me? some think its cause she is use to being around other coon hounds all the time

thanks for reading any reply would be helpful and appreciated

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

joeistyle8204 wrote:
i got a 6 month old black and tan yesterday my second time ever being out hunting im new to the game and was wanting some advice my dog is real shy and skitish when im around her i took her in my house trying to get her to trust me and get use to being around me i call her name she will not come could this be from her not being with her litter mate and should i run her before she gets use to me? some think its cause she is use to being around other coon hounds all the time

=============================================
=============================================
Dogs are born shy from improper breeding. Your Pup may develope into a ONE MAN Dog<>OR she could be worthless!!!

Who-ever had her for 6 Mo. probably gave up and either sold or gave her to you<>which never suould have HAPPENED!!! If a litter of Pups is born shy; they should be disposed of and that cross never made again!!!

I's to bad that you have started off on a sour note; but don't give up; AND NEVER EVER get another shy dog!!! I also would not waste too much time with the one you've got.

Young hunters need a real friendly pup to hunt and play with; not one thats timid.

The Swamp Guide

A THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!
This country is not run by the MAJORITY of the PEOPLE!!!!!
It is run by A MAJORITY of the VOTERS!!!!!
Think about that!!!! ====VOTE====

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for the advice i wont give up she has really taken a liken to me lately if things dont work out i will see about getting a new one my father in law has great dog some are grand knight champs he said he ran her some and she did great so ill play with her some more

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

joeistyle8204 wrote:

it usually takes awhile longer for a new pup to get use to you then a couple days. most pups that are sold have never been worked with and handled enough to know what thier name is much less what come means. takin her in the house probly only made her more scared of her new surroundings. she has probly never been in a house. tv going,noises,smells,new owner. its all kinda over whelming for a new pup. she has been taken from the only life and people she has known and thrown into a completly new life with you.
at 6 mths old ,contrary to what some believe,you have plenty of time to let her get use to you and her surroundings and teach her to come when called before she is old enough to go to the woods. if she is shy, do not baby her. you will only enforce her shy act and she will play it for attention. just treat her like a pup. you may find she is not shy at all once she is adjusted to her new surroundings. if she was not shy where you went to get her where she had been raised or what ever ,she probly will not be once she has adjusted. the main thing you need in teaching a pup,any pup, for any training, is patience. don't expect things to happen in only one day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I have a 4 month old pup who tends to ignore me when I call him. Not all the time but usually when she's running around with another grown yard dog I have. Any advice to fix this problem?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next