CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Losing a track, WHY?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My 21 month old Redtick male will strike a track run it a little ways then acts like he loses it an runs a round a 50 yd circle trying to find it again. Sometimes for an hour and never finds it so he goes on to find another track if I don't catch him after an hour. I figure an hour of tracking in that size circle is long enough. He will after awhile stike again, but never really progresses through the woods. I wouldn't say he has done alot of hunting except for the last month. He has treed a few coons for me so I know he can do it. Is there anything I can do or is it just going to be alot of long nights before he gets it all together or is he just super cold nosed ?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Losing a track, WHY?
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:41 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It sounds like he might be hot nosed.Does be bark the whole time like he cant find the trail going back and forth back tracking????How is he with other dogs???

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The only time I know for sure he had a hot trail he barked alot. When he strikes with only one or two barks is when he loses the track. Usually after searching awhile he will bark once, like it's out of frustration. I have never ran him with other dogs. The guys I got him from never ran him alone. He said he wouldn't run with the other dog on track, he would run his own track and just try to play with the other dogs,but I haven't witnessed this have to take his word.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:57 am 
IP:
He's probably taking the back track. Go back to where he started it and try it the other way.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:46 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Im going to take a wild guess the first owner hunted this dog alot.They just gave up on this dog....Most dogs are not keepers and just do enough to make you think they will ...What Id do with the dog is.Find someone with good dogs to hunt with.Hunt the dog about 30 times and see if he gets better..If not Id look for a well broke older dog 6 years old or so.You can hunt a dog like that 4 years or longer..Hunting gets old real quick if your not hunting with a good dog.Thats why a lot of guys quit hunting....

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

just have patients and keep hunting him alone. running a dog with another dog will NOT teach it to track. the dog has to learn on his own how to move the track. dont matter if one will run and tree with another dog or not. when you single it out, it will have to learn how to move a track alone without the other dog to find the loses. once a pup will TRY and run a track and tree, because it wants a coon,there is NOTHING another dog can teach it other then how to hitch hike.
the only way they will learn to track is by doing it or trying to do it over and over till it figures it out.
**when he gets bogged down and cant move it,walk in and kinda push or move him on.
you got more to work with there then any dog that will run and tree with another dog, and then stand there and look at you and not even try cause it never had to try and do it alone.ALOT OF YOUNG DOGS DONT MAKE IT BECAUSE THE TRAINER DONT HAVE THE PATIENTS TO HUNT A YOUNG DOG ALONE.alot are made into me too dogs because of people thinking if they hunt it with a good dog it will learn from it. the only reason you start a pup with another dog is to get the pup exposed to coon and get them to want it bad enough to try. MOST IF GIVEN THE CHANCE ALONE WILL FIGURE IT OUT IF THEY HAVE THE DRIVE TO TRY.some of them it does take alot of long nights AND ALOT OF patients and understanding on what the dog is, a beginner.DONT MATTER HOW MUCH IT WAS HUNTED IF THE TRAINER DID NOT HAVE THE PATIENTS OR KNOW HOW TO GIVE IT A FAIR CHANCE ALONE TO LEARN TO DO IT AND NOT LEARN JUST TO FOLLOW OTHER DOGS.ALOT OF YOUNG DOGS WILL RUN TRACKS BACKWARDS,SIDE WAYS AND EVERY WHICH WAY WHEN HUNTED ALONE AT FIRST.,TILL THEY FIGURE IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

coonscry wrote:
He's probably taking the back track. Go back to where he started it and try it the other way.

EXACTLY, DONT BE AFFRAID TO HELP A YOUNG DOG OUT BY HELPIN HIM FIGURE IT OUT. most all youngs dogs first singled out cant "run" a coon. they trail a track because they cant move a track alone well enough to "run" it. so just about all of its tracks it runs will be a slow sounding working track like it is a cold track.because it can't move one alone with speed yet. maybe a red hot easy coon ,maybe...
it aint got nothin to do with hot nose or cold nose.the dog just cant move a track.it aint that he can't smell it, he just aint figured out how to find it when he loses the track and move it on. he hits stumbling blocks and has to use his nose to work it..he is learning to do the math alone.so the tracks will sound like cold tracks.when he does the circle he is trying to find where it went on, he lost where it went and circles to pick it up again.its natural for any scent hound to do, rabbit dog,coon dog,coyote,bear,cat all of em.
dont let him waller the same place for an hour. move him on and around the area so he may pick it up again.
your not giving him the answer like another dog would. you are moving him from his block to help HIM figure it out.same as you would help a child learn to do math.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks ALOT everybody for all your help it is helping me alot. I took him last night and he stuck one up out in the middle of a corn field. He was burning it up. Opened real well and everything. Then treed good and HARD. :lol: He acted like he had been doing it forever. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ok so i have about the same thing going on with my young dog he has treed a coon 2 out of the last 3 times i have had him out alone... but he is pretty slow on the track like prob 45 min on a 300 yd. tree and a 30 min 150 yd tree. he is gonna be a very accurate dog i believe but i am a little worried about his speed because i would love to put him in the hunts.. should i be? or do yall think his speed will pick up?? o he is 20 months old

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the more coon he runs and is hunted the more he will pick up speed. once he starts to get the hang of running them alone.
there are many variables to comp hunting and dogs that determines if a dog is a good comp dog or not.
example:a dog may be a world beater at treeing coon,but something as simple as not having enough mouth to be heard when 3 other loud dogs are in there with it, is enough to prevent it from being a good comp dog...his track speed will improve,but believe me,there are many many things they may finish out to be that would hurt their chances as a comp dog. there are some things you need to train into him to be a comp dog.like re casting off a tree with a coon in it he trees. but make him a coondog first,then work on the comp dog part,AFTER you got him doing the basics the best he can do alone.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im kinda having the same problem but a little different. I have a 2 year old Redtick male that is turning out to be a good dog. He will tree coons, and is an independent dog, the guy we got him from shot and treed coons with him, and since we have had him in the past few weeks he's treed a few coons that we could find. He's a little playful, he's like this on the chain and kinda in the woods while your leading him but other than that he's a good dog. But lately he has been starting a track and not treeing it. Some of the tracks he runs fast and well and others he runs slower but when he does stop he smells around for a bit and gives a couple loud bawls and then comes in closer or just stays out where he is and sometimes opens again and trees another one. I dont know why he wont tree the first track he opens on. Can anyone help or have any ideas. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:13 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

this time of year is harder on a young dog to move a track then it was a month ago and alot harder then most think. you'd think it should be easier now. but with the green coming in and weeds ,standing water.
also sows running hard and doing what ever they can to get back to the kittens.
all these dogs are 21 months,2 years old and younger. most were started last spring as know nothing pups. they will start to finish more and more tracks once they adjust to the differance of early spring to the now early summer conditions and learn how to move a track in them..
the more you can hunt them the more they will learn.the more experiance ,the more tracks they will move smoother and will finish more of them they start.
a month ago you could smoke through a juniper swamp like nothing here, now its fight and crawl to get 50 feet into one. it aint no differant for the dog. early summer is some of the hardest going they will hunt in.alot of this is just young dogs showing there age in rougher conditions.keep hunting them and next year at this time of year they will not show such a change with the conditions. its all about experiance they gain and learn from.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok i kinda thought it might be somewhat of his lack of experience but wasn't sure if it could be something else and it was to i forgot about the sows and kittens. But that's what i plan to just keep hunting him he's gonna make a pretty good dog in time when he grows up some more. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:49 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My dog has treed me 4 coons but they been sorta lay up coons. He can seem to do much with a track and he has a lot of puppy in him. He plays a lot just wondering do some dogs mature later than others?? I went with a dog the same age tonight and that sucker ran a 1000 yard track in bout 15 mins and my pup was lost WAY behind. Wound up quittin the track before he finished it. Any help on this one?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:41 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

has the other dog been hunted alot more then yours could be one reason. but dogs are like people some learn faster then others. keeping a dog in the woods and hunting it fixes alot of these kinda problems.