CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Deer braking
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

east tn redtick wrote:
well what is the problem then

basically the owner is the problem and don't have enough knowledge and has no business even trying to train a dog there are so many ways to give a dog a bad experience running a deer and if you keep your dog in a barrel for a house you really just confused him.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:38 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Look guys if you want to get your dog deer broke. You have to try to get them to do it. Every time you take them to the woods dump them out on top of deer. When they run them burn there tail all the way back to you. Then send them again. You may have to walk them to get them to go BUT it won't take long till they are back to there old self EXCEPT they will run past the deer track and find a coon. Just takes a little work to find were the deer are and teaching your dog to come back when told.
Any time I have the chance I dump my dogs on what ever I can find. No matter how good or old. If I see a possom,deer,skunk or diller that is were I am going to cut my dogs to. You can bet the e-collar will be turned up and I am ready. Just in case one wants to sin I can bring him closer to god. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Find a fresh roadside deer. Stop and let the dog out. Once the nose is down and on, use the E collar. Really use the E collar. I dont like the use of the E collar in the woods simply to avoid the possible relationship with hunting and pain but a fresh roadside deer or even one youve brought home during season and a little shock works great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:52 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Chop walker that might work for a dog that is trailing them. It is a lot easier to break them from trailing them. But the bigest temptation to the dog is when the deer are right in front of them running. The dogs start running them by sight. Another thing that helps them not ever even get started chaseing them is. When they are pups hold them on leash and walk into cattel. When the cattle turn and run, release the dog. When he runs after the cattle burn him with the ecollar. If he just goes toward them. What ever you think is as close to them as he is going to get. Then burn him pretty good and bump him all the way back to you. Then go walk threw the cattel and see if he wants to do it again or he goes around them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sounds like everybody has some great ideas on here.i have 2 walker dogs that ran trash but was running different game.Dog #1 was running deer,and dog #2 was running fox.i don't have a shock collar so i used the scent collars,but NOT JUST THE SCENT COLLARS.listen close at what i did.i did the scent collars the same way on both dogs.Dog #1 is a 17 month old walker dog.he was running and treeing coon at 6-7 months old.when our kill season ended i continued hunting him.not being able to knock any coon out to him,he did start running deer.Dog #2 is a 2 1/2 year old walker i boought from a fella in N.C.he loves to run fox.this was my cure.I strapped the scent collars on both dogs and gave the collars a good dose of deer scent-for dog #1 and fox scent for dog #2,but i didn't stop there.in order for this to work and work properly,you have to make the dogs disgusted of the scent and absolutely not want anything to do with it.so,after soaking the collars,i would take the bottle of scent,open their mouth and give them a good dose of it down their throat.after that they got a dose of it up each nostrill.the final step is have some of the breaking scent in a spray bottle and i would spray it all over the dogs head.CAUTION-DO NOT GET THE SCENT IN THE DOGS EYES!!! it would make these 2 dogs absolutly sick,and i meen rolling,puking sick.i did this twice a day for 2 weeks,now both my problems are solved.i know this sounds like a bit of over kill,but believe me it worked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a problem. I have been working with my 2 yr old Blue-Tick since she was old enough to walk. She's trailed a scent drag, dead coon drag, ran a caged coon, treed a caged coon, ran and treed released coons. She was coming along great, never hunted very far, came back and minded well. I never had a problem with her running off game, and even proved it when she was a year old by turning her loose with my deer beagles. She didn't want anything to do with it. So as the snow/ice is melting around central VA here, I decided to take her for a ride last Friday. I let her ride in the front seat of my trash truck across the street to the farm so I could re-fill our deer feeders. When we got there, we got out, and my blue-tick Pearl was having a blast running on the snow and playing. Then she quickly turned to hunting as I started walking through the field to the feeder. She stayed on the old road-bed where the snow had melted, and struck on the road before disappearing into the thicket. I thought for sure she had scented a coon, fox, or bobcat and I listened with pride as she made a ruckus running through the thicket. To my horror, 12-15 deer bolted across the field. My day went from bad to worse when Pearl slowly started turning toward the deer. I couldn't catch her before she hit the woods, and she was gone running big circling loops for about 2 hours. I'm so dissappointed in her, and to make things worse I don't own a shock collar, or I would have really zapped her az. Do ya'll think she's ruined? Or maybe the scent was just too fresh to pass up or the fact that is was daylight maybe? Anyone in the area of Louisa VA have a shock collar I could borrow? I want to break her of this NOW, quickly, before the opportunity comes again. Gonna trap a coon ASAP and go right back to basics I guess. Any ideas?

PERFECT TEN KENNELS
LOUISA, VA.
HOME OF PERFECT10-PEARL GIRL

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:18 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

no your dog isnt ruined.. all you gotta do is teach her that deer are bad and coon are good.. she already knows coon and knows how to run them so you dont need to start back at basics.. just break her off deer using almost any of the methods mentioned before.

Runnin' them hounds til' the sun comes up

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

catholicdad wrote:
I found that the deer scent worn on the collar all the time did not do anything to stop the deer chasing. I tried both the scent pad and the gland on the collar and it did not even slow him down. Might work with a younger dog, I dont know. As far as the post about the deer gland or scent trail and whipping them on a drag that seems a little better but,,,, my buddy tried that with his dog but then he only stopped when he was within sight of the dog, once the dog got out of his sight it ran deer just as much as before. you have got to break the habit by stopping it while it is happening and every time. Also the dog seems to do better when it doesnt think you are the one that is doing the shocking. That is why I think the wick box method worked so well with my dog. He never associated me with the pain he felt while he was smelling deer scent. All he knew was he smelled deer and then he felt pain. With frequent reminding he started to figure out that 1 + 1 = 2

Interesting thoughts...........
I was wondering if one should let the dog be aware that it`s you, that`s causing the dog pain when being shocked while running a deer track or try to appear like you`re the good guy when he comes running back to your side and it was the deer causing all of that pain.

Obviously, scolding or whipping the dog post deer run will teach him that it IS you causing the pain. So, how many of you scold the dog upon returning?

I`ve been ( trying ) breaking my hard-headed male off deer for 2 years now with the use of Tritronics and deer set-ups. I wondered about the level of shock to provide when shocking. I had read in various books that it`s better to use a low shock, just enough to turn the dog, even if it meant that the dog tried multiple times again to run that same deer. The rationale was that he got multiple correction from just one deer race. Well, it didn`t work that well. Now, he gets a greater shock, all of the way back to my heels. I`m hoping that this is going to be more effective. I STILL want him to believe that it`s the deer causing the pain, so no scolding once he gets back to me.

If this level doesn`t work, I may try scolding, him but I`m reserving this for the ace up my sleeve so to speak.

Last evening he got shocked on 3 different deer set ups. After the first two, he had taken to tracking the deer silently, thinking if he doesn`t open he won`t get pain. lol.......surprise!

Yup, it`s an on going thing........

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I could tell when my pups would open on a deer track they had a distinct whine bawl to em, an were in the county in a matter of mins, I used a shock collar a few times an they didnt much care to run deer after that.

[img]

CH GRNITECH 'PR' B & D'S BLUE SPIKE

GRNITECH 'PR" FLYING BLUE RUBY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ihave two black and tan coonhounds that turned 6 months olda few days ago. I run them in the few acreages beside the kennel and deer are there all the time. They search for and EAT the deer scat... When should i put a shock collar on , what should i do to govern this. When there about 8 months old in september i want to begin them on tracking cat and i cannot have them running deer. help! thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

east tn redtick wrote:
ive been readin about puttin your hound in a berral with a dead deer and rollin it down a little hill. im startin 2 have trouble with my hound runnin deers ive lost him twice cuz of it. just wonderin if anyones tried it and if it will work.

I wouldnt do this to one of my dogs but I know a guy that takes his beagles and puts them into a 55 gallon drum that has several air holes in it with a lid and a fresh deer hide, ties the drum to the back of his 4 wheeler and drags them around making sure to be as rough as possible bumping a few trees and letting it slide off the road a little bit. He said they come out of there so drunk they cant stand up for several minutes but they will never run a deer again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:38 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

from my experience, if you keep anything near a dog ,alive, all the time, they get used to it, buy a couple goats, if you can, they say goats smell a lot like deer..

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunt Fort Sill, here in Oklahoma. We have a herd of approximately 300 or so Elk. I have two Walkers, that are on their third season. Up until last fall (2012) they never treed or run anything but a coon. It was a hot summer so I didn't get them in the woods at all. This fall when I started hunting them it was like they wanted to chase anything that would run. I pretty well have them off most trash, but still have a problem with Elk. Early this fall they had a big ol bull jump right in front of them and they chased him into the creek. This bull swam up and down the creek with both my male and female in hot pursuit. I didn't have an E-collar so just had to catch them up when they got out. I popped them a couple times and scolded them but it did nothing. Two other times or so they have gotten back on Elk, never deer just Elk. I have a Tri-Tronics trashbreaker coming in the mail. Any idea different then the deer suggestions will be appreciated. My male dog especially is a good hound and lots and lots of heart. Hate to lose him to trash.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I like to ride around and find the deer, or whatever trash the dog may be running, and turn out right on top of it. As soon as the dog starts tracking the off game, turn the collar to its highest setting and burn him good. Do not holler at the dog, it will only confuse him. More than likely he will come running back to you with his tail tucked. Just pat him on the head and load him up, then go hunting. After that for the next few weeks, anytime you are hunting and see off game, stop and turn loose on it, if you have permission of course. It should not take many reminders until the dog avoids the deer, and goes on in pursuit of coons. This is a tried and true means of trashbreaking that has worked for me for years, the keys to success is to not speak a word when shocking, and use a high setting. If you use a low setting it doesn't teach him anything. Also if you catch the dog an hour after he got on a deer and whip him its only going to confuse him, he has no idea why you are whipping him. Hope this helps out, sorry for the long post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

8 month old has only seen 2 live caged coon and both were let out in front of her and she did good by treeing both.

Now she started getting on deer. Three different times in two days. But she always comes back when called or shocked. I screwed up on the first one, I thought shock was turned on but it wasn't and she saw the deer and went after it. The two times after she was scent trailing the deer.

My question is. Does she need more coon before I start putting her in a situation where she will definitely see or smell a deer? So she knows what is good to run and what is bad.

Oh and she has yet to open on them either so it's hard to know if she's just wandering around or actively chasing something.

I road 2-3 times a week for training and up until these last two times she has never bothered to follow a deer track only a few feet. And now I'm pulling my hair out wondering why she started to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next