All times are UTC - 6 hours

If you had a choice
Wildlife Materials TRX-3S with Johnson callars 28%  28%  [ 23 ]
Garmin tracking system 72%  72%  [ 60 ]
Total votes : 83
 Post subject: Tracking System Debate
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:06 am 
IP:
GPS or other tracking systems? (Yaesu..Icom..Wildlife...Quick)
I will never be running more than 3 dogs. 95% of the time 2 or 1. For the money and where I'm located it seems to me GPS is the way to go. I've heard good and bad on GPS though and it makes me nervous. However, other tracking systems I know will work fine but for about the same money I can get the GPS. And from the people I talked to I'm definitely not buying a Tracker. I won't be using it in any mts or very large hills. Just rolling farm ground with larger hollars and tracts of woods in southern IL. I've used the older tracking systems before with no problems. Just lookin to upgrade and get newer equipment. Any input would be great.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:50 pm 
IP:
With the area you hunt by your discription I would go with the Garman. I have had mine all through bear season and Coyote season and love mine as well as the guys who I run with. After I got mine and useded it they are now getting systems or at least collars so I can track their dogs. The garman is all I run with and I don't double up the collars on my dogs as some do.

Once you have had them for a spell and played with it they are easy to use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a garmin system and with the extra antenna that goes on the truck I can pick the dogs up 8 miles out with no problem in MI. Alot of guys that I hunt with are switching over to teh garmin because of teh ease of finding the dog. I will admit with out the extra truck antenna the range is short 1-2 miles but withe the extra it works great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Well I Bought a Garmin but will continue to watch out for a good deal on a more tradditional system. So far It has proven to have more pluses then negitive. The only issue I have with it, is the maps. I purchased a Topo map card of my area with the unit. If I am in the county above mine No problems, I get in my county most of the roads aren't named and some are missing. But it does have my drive way LOL!!! I enjoy it so far. I am going to try to find out how to get upgraded maps. But I really like the system I can go out in the worst fog now, that I wouldn't of even tried before. The ability to watch your hound work and see how it actually hunts is amazing, its more than just a tracking tool it's a evaluation tool.

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:48 pm 
IP:
Sarge did you try zooming in more and see if the roads names show up? On my map chip most of the main roads will show up zoomed out but it's when I zoom in on an area is when the small roads names show up.

Don't forget to look up once in a while and take a listen to the dogs! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wildlife TRX 1000 is the most reliable unit I have ever used. I dont particularly like thier collars though. If I could only have one type tracking unit it would definitely be the TRX 1000. What I like about the Garmin is it will telll where is closer to the dog. The telemetry units are a learned art and will sometimes lie to you due to terrain, hills, brush etc. Telemetry collars will definitely reach further. When I bear hunted all over the U.S. I would have nothing else cause it always seems like a bear stops in the biggest block in the area. Havent tried the Garmin from a plane but with the Telemetry collars you can recieve a signal twenty plus miles from a plane. Have had to do it a few times when we hunted around the Okefenokee. Its forty two miles from the last road to the next one when they go in. Neither is cheap but if I only coon hunted one or two dogs I would probably go with the Garmin. But since I sometimes hunt six plus dogs on fast movers I like both.

Psiskjr

Post subject: Re: Tracking systems
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:29 am 
IP:
LPatterson wrote:
I just got a garmin.I'll never use a radio tracking system again.I'm getting up to 4 miles with mine with no external antenna's.

That is strange. I am in Georgia and you are in Virginia. Your mountains are taller than mine. My regular little rubber antenna gets me about .6 to .8 miles average. The long range antenna can only go 2 miles. that is strange.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am in foroida and hunted all weekend with 3 220s and 10 collars we got about 800 yards with the little antenna and 1.2 miles with the roof mount antenna. I think some people use the best range the get not what you can expect everyday. (but the 1'2 is the absolute max where i was after that you would not get siginal back)

Marhshall is suspose to be comming out with a gps in the fall and i hope they have all these issues fixed. there is some good info on biggamehoundsmen.com

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 am 
IP:
doghunter wrote:
I am in foroida and hunted all weekend with 3 220s and 10 collars we got about 800 yards with the little antenna and 1.2 miles with the roof mount antenna. I think some people use the best range the get not what you can expect everyday. (but the 1'2 is the absolute max where i was after that you would not get siginal back)

Marhshall is suspose to be comming out with a gps in the fall and i hope they have all these issues fixed. there is some good info on biggamehoundsmen.com

That's what I'm saying. How is this guy getting 4 miles with a Garmin ??????

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have gotten 4+ miles before, with my beep beep antenna that is for the 150's frequency, hooked to the garmin.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i liked the garmin however i kept losing signal after about 900yds so i sold mine and bought a marshall tracker on 219 freuency with two marshall lighted powermax collars and like it alot better but i gotta play with it more

Post subject: Re: Tracking systems
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

JBaldwin wrote:
LPatterson wrote:
I just got a garmin.I'll never use a radio tracking system again.I'm getting up to 4 miles with mine with no external antenna's.

That is strange. I am in Georgia and you are in Virginia. Your mountains are taller than mine. My regular little rubber antenna gets me about .6 to .8 miles average. The long range antenna can only go 2 miles. that is strange.

I said UP TO 4 miles.That was with me hanging a collar on a tree and driving down the road.Under normal hunting conditions It usualy gets 3/4 -1 mile.I got close to 8 miles with the roof top antenna doing the road test.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

another reason i didnt like my garmin was i had a problem like many of you of staring at it and watching EVERY move my dogs made lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Im new in the coon hunting world and have lots to learn..... im looking at 2 different tracking systems

How does the wildlife tracking system compare to the new garmin tracking system besides the fact that garmin allows use of gps to show where your dogs been..... im talking about the tracking part. Is Garmin worth all that money you spend to have it and are you just wasting money on wildlife ?? I wont some feedback and advice on where to invest my money. New Garmin with 1 collar or Used Wildlife with 3collars $300.00

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

go with the garmin. it will out do any other tracker on the market right now.