Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:26 am
1 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
2 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
3 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:13 am 
IP:
i was wodering what is the best way to get a coon to look at u when its treed. cause i usally have to look for at least 30 minits somtimes they wont even look at all.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:54 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

....Most coon thats been treed before will not look at you.But start off with a low light a amber lense is what I use.Use a good coon squallar back from the tree as far as you can get..(You should chain all dogs around the tree first)).Far apart they dont face bark or get tangled up..All dogs should be chained at every tree ..When squalling make a circle around the tree but as far back as you can. (To see the tree better)..If that dont work get out the spot light and a gun with a 4x32 scope on it.You would be suprized how many coon you will find.You (should) can find most coon in less then 10 min ..Look for holes or in the very top in between the limbs where they spread out.Coon love to lay in a flat spot if they can..Most coon will be high in the tree.You see very few in the lower half of a tree.(Unless its a lay up coon)..Sometimes all you can see is a ear or foot or Tail hanging down....also if you cant find the coon when your walking away. Look back sometimes they will look at you..Dont go back to the tree...That will mess your dogs up........(On coon killed)I know guys that kill every coon they see or tree.Over 100+ every year..Does that mean they have real good dogs.....They have about average dogs they just hunt every night .And Take every coon they can......You take the average guy he hunts 3-4 hours a night 2-4 times a week. Only kills coon the dog trees on. If He kills 25-50 coon is a good year for them.......((The Oldtimers)) will tell you .If you average 1 coon a night over the whole season.You had a pretty good year............

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:02 am 
IP:
Everything has to come together just right then I will shoot one out for the pups and then take them home. I might go 3 or 4 nights in a row with the older dogs before they get a coon put out to them, not counting the ones they catch on the ground.

Post subject: Gettin coons to look
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok so I was wondering what u guys have found the best to get a coon to look at you after the dogs get treed we have been having trouble gettin them to look tried coon squaller and amber pop covers and havent had much luck

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re: Gettin coons to look
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use the dimmest light i can and squall with my mouth.. If i still cant get them to look ill get someone with me to tap on the tree while i look. .. Works pretty good here.

Post subject: Re: Gettin coons to look
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:33 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I use the squaller, a dim pop cover, and on some lights you have the flicker setting which works pretty good... But of course right now everything being so thick it's hard too

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Ask him real nice like!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Canadian Hillbilly wrote:
Ask him real nice like!!!!

I like it haha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i hunted with a guy who would take his spotlight and sweep all over the tree real quick. he'd usually get a flicker of eyeball then he knew zackly where to shine. worked damn good

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:07 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Shut all the dogs up, back up, and use a low light with a light squall !!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

IF Im alone I carry one of those little head-lamps that run on 2 AAA batteries and it has 2 small RED L.E.D. bulbs in it. when I get within 100 yards or so of the tree Ill shut my big light off and walk in with only the 2 LED's on and the coon will be looking at me every time. I've watched them look away when I turn the coon light on even with red and amber lens' than shut it off and just sit there with the 2 little LED's and after a minute they'll look right at you again. Or if your with a buddy find a big rock and 1 beats on the tree while the other watches for eyes..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Too funny:lol:

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:28 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

The guy I hunt with is normally pretty good at gettin em to look with his big light just shine in the tree but he will look for 45 min my other buddy Greg idk how he does it but that guy can find the coon no matter what or where he is he has even turned his light off and found em threw the moon light

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Alot of times ill go no light up to the tree locate the coon have my gun on him and quick switch my red headlamp on and its like they were watching me the whole time

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

#1 he"s got to be there to look. Alot of the process so descibed are more about dog training and handling than getting a coon to look.
I am a meat hunter that kills every coon I tree . I have to or somebody else will be hunting there instead of me. But hey it doesn't hurt my feelings to kill coons and if killing too many coons messes up a dog then I got the sorriest ones around.
I'll try to limit this to just finding the eye or coon. I shine on bright all the way from the truck. I am fortunate to hunt very well managed woods and sometimes I can see 300yards befor I get to the tree. If I catch an eye at 300 yards that is a dead coon. I find about 75% of the coons way before I get to the tree. If he is still looking when I get in range I never make it to the tree, dead coon. Not a dog petting experience but a dead coon. If I get to the tree I will leash up a pup. I would never soup up a pup then because I have not found the coon yet. When leashed the pup is more apt to yak his head off and all I can do is hope to find the coon. If the coon wasn't looking on the side I was coming in on he is likely to be looking the other way. I turn my light to lowand keep it pointed at the ground for me to see how to walk and walk away on the other side of the tree as far as I can tell in the dark that I can still see the tree. Then I turn the light pretty high and pop it up there in a hurry. I might only catch a wink to too late the partys over, dead coon. But if no eye yet I mouth squall not that I am good at it, it is just that I am not any better with a real squaller. If I have somebody with me which is not often I'll get them to pull vines and then take a lightered knot of stout stick and whack the tree like it was beingchopped down. If there is a quarter moon or more and its up 45 degrees or better I'll put it behind every limb on the tree if where I am backing is open so I am not tripping backwards. Mostly coons are dead before that but if they want to stare at the moon and not look the moon will give their whole outline with a halo around it even in pines and liveoaks.(Only if you got the moon directly behind the coon) is that going to work. Yes, you can find a dark spot in a little leafless tree on a hedgerow by the moon off ten degrees from the moon but that is not what I am talking about.
If I spend five minutes searching a tree that is a long,long time, and rare. I often tree in southern live oaks that spread 3/4 of an acre and its thick on a side or two to keep me from seeing good I figure its time to get after another one. I have seen folks shine a naked tree for 45 minutes though. I will send the dogs on and leave but I will occasionally shine back leaving to see if I get a peek and I have occassionally. I am reknown as the best coon finder around here by my young friends.