CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:38 am 
IP:
My son's got a gun's last christmas. They have only used the .22 barrel on them for target shooting since they got them. We were getting ready for deer season and I took one of them out and let them shoot slugs through them for target practice. The other .410(modified) barrel was left in the plastic bag it came in and in the carrying case!!!

On the day of hunting I took the barrel out and put it on I gave the boys 5 shells apiece and headed for the woods. Barrels were checked for obstructions (NONE).

We got to the woods and a deer stepped out in front of the boys! They drew up and I stopped the youngest because he was not holding the gun properly.

The deer ran off!!! I took the gun and showed the boy how to properly shoulder and hold a shotgun, I aimed in on a small sappling and told him to watch, Then (BANG ) the gun went off and the gun kicked me like a .10 Gauge shotgun and hit my cheek like Mike Tyson, I looked down and the barrel was in one hand and the grip and the hammer and stock assembly in the other.

I am glad the boys were not shooting!!!!!!!!!!!

I retrieved the split off part of the barrel and took them home, I examined the barrel to find a ding on the outside of the barrel poking inward, this was about 1/8 inch before the explosion in the barrel.

The guns have a one year warranty on them and they were purchased new from a dealer.

I called Rossi, customer service and proceded to tell them what happened. The REP told me that this .410 mod barrel was not designed to shot a .410 slug HMMMMMM !!!!!!!!!!!! The ammo was factory made!! The barrel was not a full choke!

I looked through all the gun information that came with them, looked on the website, and looked on the barrel and reciever were it should say Warning: "Do not use slugs in the gun" or some were in brochure.

I was told to send the barrel in and they would fix it for a price! Under Warranty huh yeah right!

Little bit about me: Been hunting for thirty years, marine corps weapons instructor,currently a firearms instructor and participated on several shooting teams.

What do you guys think? I will post picture soon.

P.S. I tried to call someone other than consumer services and was hung up on the operator twice! I was not rude to her in anyway shape or form.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My background is pretty much the same as yours, I purchased the same set-up for my son, the firing pin broke within the first year, in my opinion Rossi is garbage, I'd never buy another Rossi product.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:20 am 
IP:
Was you able to have the company honor the warranty?

I am more upset by the treatment I recieved by costumer service!

Rem700 thanks for letting me know this about your experience, if ya know anyone else who has had this problem let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

man it sounds like you guys got lucky....got my son one 3 years ago does good on shooting but it dont want to eject the shells after fired on some brands of shells.... i had to take my muzzle loader ram rod to get the shell hull to eject once. i guess that they made them as a 1 shot wonder (you wonder what is going to happen next)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

got me one of those combos like hardlucks because i liked the short gun for carrying through the mountains coon hunting. (i'm by no means a youth) Came close several times to putting slugs in the .410. Glad i didn't. Thanks for the heads up and glad to hear you didn't get injured.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:12 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Glad to hear no one got hurt.
Sounds like Rossi's quality went down hill after ending their contract with Interarms in 1997.
I have a interarms rossi model 62 that does pretty good.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetun17/racc ... fmaryland/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

our local gunsmith wont even work on one and he had the same treatment from them on several ocassions. One he sent in because the chamber was way off from the factory, they sent it back and he inspected it and said it was worse than before. He told me there pure junk and dont take one even as a gift

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sorry to here you had a problem and glad your ok..

Santa brought one to my house 2 or 3 years ago and my boy whos 9 now has about 1500 rnds and i have 1000 down it too with the 22 with the 410.. about 200 rnds. Santa put 000 buck shot in his stocking this year we will see how it works.. We like this little gun, I think i have more fun with than he does

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 am 
IP:
I have coonhunted for several years with the same gun you bought. i had a problem with pin where the gun breaks down. I made one myself , put it in and no more problems. The rear sight was plastic junk but I was putting a scope on anyway. I have shot hundreds of rounds through it and it stays accurate unless the screw thing that holds the barrel on gets loose. I put a lock washer on that and it stays tight. It gets alot of rough treatment and abuse, but it always brings out the meat. The old saying "You get what you pay for" always holds true.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am a proud owner of many Rossi firearms, including the youth model combo this thread addresses. I am retired and in my mid sixties having used many firearms over the years for business and pleasure. Although, my favorite wheelguns have been S&W, I have never been disappointed with the Rossi's I have owned. My other firearms include Berettas, Winchesters, Remingtons, Galesi, Colt High Standard, Feg, Caniks, Marlins, along with some others of foreign origin that manufacturers I can't remember right now. I carry the youth combo in my vehicle as a survival/emergency tool like my flares, flash lite, safety blanket, first aide kit, etc., I served in the USMC during the late sixties and early seventies. Professionally, I was a private investigator until retiring having specialized in liability claims investigations. I am familiar with firearms failures and their root causes.

I was very surprised when I saw this negative complaint and accompanying photos since I have never had any experience with a Rossi firearms failure. Based from my experience, I have great doubt in the accuracy of the narative the op gives regarding how this failure occurred.

1. The photos show the .410 barrel bulged and split beginning a couple of inches from the muzzle, not the breech. They also show deformity from bulge to end of muzzle yet, no damage to the barrel locking lug, breech or receiver. Although, there may be a crack in the fore stock, the retaining screw/sling mount remained in place.

2. The deformity of the barrel from the bulge to the muzzle with the barrel split cleanly from the lower portion of the barrel bulge to above the fore stock lug indicate a plugged barrel.

3. This type of failure, as the photos show, would not and did not damage the receiver, lockup or barrel locking lug, meaning that at the time of failure, the barrel and fore stock did not separate from the receiver as this poster claimmed. Had that occurred, the shooter would in all likelihood received serious physical injury from the exploding shrapnel resulting from the failure.

4. The op described taking the .410 barrel from its vacuum wrapped packaging and attaching it to the receiver without thorough cleaning. These firearms are shipped in cargo ships from Brazil. They are thoroughly coated with a thick, tacky cosmoline grease to prevent rusting from the damp, salty sea air. Some to such a heavy degree that the barrel may be occluded with grease. The owner's manual and common sense dictate a thorough cleaning is necessary before assembling and firing.

The discrepancies between the op's story and the physical evidence shown in the op's photos are blatant which places great doubt on the credibility of this complaint.