CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:07 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

redsman wrote:
I have heard shocking a dog that is trying to fight will only make them madder is this true?

yes if you shock a dog with other dogs nearby they think that dog got em and the fight is on.

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

haha well there goes that idea for people lol.

Post subject: just my 2 cents
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my opinion these dogs are ill dogs and if you don't find a good way to break them it's only going to get worse. I understand that dogs have a pecking order but it's your job to let them know that there is no room for it in the woods. Around my neck of the woods ill dogs don't last long, they are either cured or shipped out. Usually if the dogs are showing aggression once the coon is on the ground all you have to do is avoid the chance to fight all together. Which ever dog trees first and right gets the coon. Tie all other dogs back. This does two things avoids a fight and encourages the other dogs to get there first. Jealousy is the best training tool a hound hunter has. But if for some reason the dogs get the chance to fight you really need to put the fear of god into the instigator or even both. Shocking collars are not the best or even a good way to do this if you shock the dog while in the heat of battle it associates the pain with the other dog.(not good Ive seen it)A stern 1on1 a$$ whippin is the best way. You want that dog to know that he has you to answer to. Sometimes you can't fix these dogs, once they've fought they'll fight again. Hunt them separate. I wouldn't let an ill dog aroung any young dogs because this is a trait that can rub off.Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:34 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

its also a trait that will ruin a young dog. you get a young dog treeing then a dog shows aggression towards it, it aint goin set there and tree. also if its on a coon and the dog barks it can hurt that pup fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:59 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

alright guys thanks for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i havea 2 yr old brindle plott named banjo, i just got it last year and i live in a trailer park where i cant have pets so i dont get to spend a whole lot of time with him right now like i want to ive been told that if a dog gets rough on tree it may mean that its afraid ur goin to reward the other dog well i put my dog on a caged coon one night wth my buddies walker pup who was 10 months at the time, banjo bayed the coon really goood in the cage and when i turned it loose he ran it up a tree and wwas treed for a minute until the walker got near then banjo got agressive, i do not believe in abuse to animals but i lost it i wrestled my dog downa hill from the tree trying to get him on the lead and i got in his face and started screaming at him and i hit him on the head a few times woth the lead and my fist. i felt really bad and i tried to make it up to him, i reckon he forgave me for that and to this day i have yet to have another aggression problem out of him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:50 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Ya i dont like hitting me dog, but it seems like sometimes thats the only thin that works. They get going to much there's nothing else you can do or else you'll have a dead dog.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've got the same problem only with a twist. I hunt my 11 month old with a seven year old. once the coon is on the ground its the pup that is aggresive over it and picking fights any input to add from the rest of the post would be helpful thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

also does anyone know if this will lead to fighting over tree or other situations?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:51 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

YES agression is agression and it is caused by dominance. YOU are the leader of the pack. If you have read any of my posts you know I train a lot with the e-collar BUT when it comes to agression I use shear blunt force of a stick. To keep order in a pack that is allowed to fight at all (COON). It is harder than dogs that are not allowed to fight at all. You have to let them know that you are the leader and they are not to fight over anything. All things belong to the leader and all things are done becouse the leader allows it.
There for if they clame any rights to coon or anything ealse it is a threat to your leadership. IT IS NOT ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!! tHE PUNISHMENT HAS TO BE OVER POWERING AND COME FROM YOU!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:57 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

By the way, heavy wall 1" PVC pipe works really well for a stick. For a pup you can put a rubber or fome sleave over one end.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

would it be better to have all dogs leashed apart and move the coon to each for reward or kill the coon and not let any have it

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

let them chew on it one at a time. leash them up before shooting them out. you don't want anydogs getting bad habits like leaving trees because of agressive dogs.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:34 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

have you let him carry coons out the woods it will ruin a dog and i've never been able to fix it

'PR' STOKES' LITTLE CREEK SON
Co-owner:
'PR' MIDNITE PEABODY
I feed Showtime dog food and use Cajun Lights

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:38 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I let mine kill the coon. Then I leash them up one at a time as soon as the coon is dead. If any crap starts during the process I finish it with a stick on the agressors ribs and hind end. I want them to be sore from it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next