CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: keeping on a tree
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well i have not thumped her at the tree while i have had her i have not hunted her with but one other dog really and i no she isn't mean at the tree. i have hunted twice with other dogs i no i need to hunt her alone to see what she can really do. i know she knows what to do and she knows how to tree the problem i am having also is that she isn't a loud do can't hardly hear her over the other dogs. i believe i will solo hunt her a while and see what see is really doing and if the live coon she caught on the ground helped and no i didn't shoot it out i probaly should have for her we also had some pups there 6 and 7 month old puppys trying to get them to pick up on treeing from her. Thank you for all your advice if have more send need all the help i can get.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Dawg,

I am having trouble with my 19mth old male. He is always at the tree with other dogs treeing hard and often is the first to tree, so now I have singled him out and was doing great. I have treed and seen 9 coons with him in the last three trips but on the last trip he treed twice and if I wasn't at the tree within about 10 min. he would come check in with me and act like he deserved to be praised!!! and the tree would be lost!!! he is a semi timid dog and scolding does nothing but break his spirit. The first few coons he treed he was a standout tree dog but now with every tree he makes he is loosing tree power?

He is only this way by himself, if another dog is present he'll stay for the duration.

http://roanmtnhound.webs.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would tie him to the tree that the coon is in and shoot the coon dont let him have it make him want it. He'll learn he needs to finish the job then. This works best with more than one dog.

as he said but tie him away from that tree and shootem out ! then bring the coon closer to him make him want it. then untie him and let him try to get a hold of it then throw it up on a limb just high enough he cant get it . repeat unti he trees.. also hels to bring 1 dog during the proses i had the same problem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:11 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I would just hunt him by himself. Stay close and when he trees be there. Stand back in the dark and just watch him. When he comes off the tree just send him back. Don't pet or praise till he returns to the tree. When he gets there tie him to it. Keep him treeing till he starts getting tired of it. Then shoot it out to him. Repeat it as much as you can and don't allways make him tree longer before you shoot it out. Give him an easy one every now and then. Then make the next one were he has to tree his tail off for a while. Even if you can't get it out. Squall and pet and praise him big time. If he comes off though. Tell him to get on that tree. As soon as he does start the party again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Dawg wrote:
First of all, the hunting every night thing. It doesn't matter what you want. Learn to read your dog. If it is slugesh about going. It is getting to much and needs to be layed up a night or two.
Now the leaveing the tree thing. I would go back to a drag and scenting the trunk of the tree. By the way, I would allways use a dead coon for a drag when ever posible. Then lowering the drag and teasing the crap out of it. Trying to trouble shoot or train in the woods I think is a mistake. Set up a situation that you are in complete controll of and work from there.
I can make a dog go to the tree or any were ealse with a e collar BUT I can't make it like the work with one. Make it fun tease it like the girls in short skirts do you. Then when you got it really wanting it. Take him and put him in his pen. Do that a few days before you give him a tug on it. I know this is a lot differant than ever one ealse but it is what I would do. I would do it in the day time the first day. So he can see it.
After that do it at night so he can't. Be sure and get a little scent on the tree but don't over scent becouse he will expect that much scent on trees in the woods. When you go back to hunting him. I wouldn't hunt him at all till you get his head right at home.

BE SURE WHEN YOU LEED HIM OFF THAT TREE YOU PET AND PRAISE HIM ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE TRUCK!!!!!!!!

This sounds right to me, though I'm green.