CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:26 pm 
IP:
I heard the garmin astro and hunter gps can track a dog up to 5 miles and the newest system is 7 miles

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:42 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those are the ranges Garmin list ..............bit it's not the range users are getting.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Got my astro system in middle of last month and the first night i had it out in short modaration it payed for it self ten fold, just by showing what it could do, as i get better aquanted with it i have no doubt that it is going to be all that is said to be. So since i have been using it about three times a week and i have not once had a bad experience. I found that it really help me with getting to know my pups bark much better with it telling me when he is treed, sitting and all the above so that i can compare it to what I think is his tree/locate bark. I seen on another post that they were having trouble charging after while I just took there advice on what to do to hopefully prevent it so thanks to you guys and ladies all in all i am very impressed and recomend it to all who would like to give it a try
Justin

No one came, except God
When I needed a breath to rise, from my sleep
No one could help me.. except God

When all I saw was sadness, and I needed answers
No one heard me, except God
So when I'm asked.. who I give my unconditional love to?
I look for no other name, except God”
Tupac Shakur 1971-1996

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hang it on a fence post and drive away until you lose signal. I am curious how far you get good signal. Compared to all the different infomation on this post. I am still getting between 1 and 2 miles and some days about 1/2 mile is all i get all day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

doghunter wrote:
Hang it on a fence post and drive away until you lose signal. I am curious how far you get good signal. Compared to all the different infomation on this post. I am still getting between 1 and 2 miles and some days about 1/2 mile is all i get all day.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65730

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:25 am 
IP:
i was wondering...when you get those Garmin Astros do you HAVE to download maps on them or can you just go hunt.......If anyone has ordered one lately how long is it taking to get to you? Also where are you buying them for the best price on one?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:49 am 
IP:
codybauer@marshfieldwi wrote:
i was wondering...when you get those Garmin Astros do you HAVE to download maps on them or can you just go hunt.......If anyone has ordered one lately how long is it taking to get to you? Also where are you buying them for the best price on one?

I've never downloaded anything. Mine shows the highways and waters where I am, which is all I really care about. The Garmin is capable of doing much more than I actually do with it. You can also manually set land-marks. I have "coon spot" in mine to mark a little "island" where we tend to see coon. I have another land-mark to show where my boundaries are.
In my area the actual water marks that the Garmin shows me aren't necessarily perfectly accurate. On my screen I can see my dog is actually in the lake, but really he's not. He's on a pennisula. Perhaps if I downloaded stuff I'd have a really accurate screen, but I am quite okay with the readings I have. 'Course I just started another thread about the problems I'm also having with my Garmin system too...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You can download maps with really great detail. I have a map of wisconsin that covers the topography and details including most dirt roads up north. I dont think the Garmin is half as hand without the maps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:34 am 
IP:
I ordered mine three business days ago. I used it last night and it worked great. My only complaint is unless I'm doing it wrong I have to reset the hunt mode ever time and synch the collar and receiver. I would like to be able to just turn it on and cut loose. I might be doing it wrong though since I'm still figuring it out. Conkey's Hound supply.com - 386-972-4937 is where I got mine and they were the cheapest anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:35 pm 
IP:
kickapoo wrote:
You can download maps with really great detail. I have a map of wisconsin that covers the topography and details including most dirt roads up north. I dont think the Garmin is half as hand without the maps.

Does it show trees? I dont know if thats included in topography? :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

No it dosent show trees but itll show hills valleys creek beds. comes in real hand when your running coyote hounds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i know someone who has one and says it works pretty good but if you lose signal you have to get pretty close to pick them up again.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I dont have one but my buddy gots one and I ordered it for him. With the long range antenna in steep rocky hilly country you can pick it up pretty good. We are hunting bears this time of year in Washington and its worked out good so far. Can see where and when your dog is running, sitting down, or treeing. I plan on getting one here sometime soon and I have the older 10-channel Quick Track. If you hunt the country I hunt and you have the maps uploaded you can see which road you need to use to get closer to your dogs and you should never lose the signal from your dogs. But seriously the long range antenna does wonders for your signal.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I heard Garmin is comming out with a new system in 2010 that will have a bigger screen and some additional upgrades has anyone heard anything. I also was told the problems everyone is having with loss of signal can be fixxed if you get the latest download from garmin.

I still send my garmin back about every six months due to loss of signal range.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:51 pm 
IP:
Femme Osage Kennels wrote:
I ordered mine three business days ago. I used it last night and it worked great. My only complaint is unless I'm doing it wrong I have to reset the hunt mode ever time and synch the collar and receiver. I would like to be able to just turn it on and cut loose. I might be doing it wrong though since I'm still figuring it out. Conkey's Hound supply.com - 386-972-4937 is where I got mine and they were the cheapest anywhere.

You're doing it wrong. Go to menu and find the dog list, if its not coming up by hitting the "dog" button.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next