CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

have you, or are you willing to swim to the middle of a beaver pond in mid january to get to a tree?
yes 64%  64%  [ 28 ]
no 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject: poll
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

have you already, or are willing to swim across a huge beaver pond in mid-January?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:39 am 
IP:
:lol: allready have twice to get to my hounds treed ill go threw or in anything :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

my dogs are are good to me. if they tree, no mater where, i respect my dogs, i go where they go. Sounds corny but if they hold up their end of the deal i will hold up mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:18 am 
IP:
Oh ya! Been there done that. You ought to see what I have been willing to do while duck hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:36 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I never thought I'd say this in public, but I'm with skidmark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:59 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL A DOULBE EDGED SWORD. UP HERE IN KILL SEASON, THERE IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY THAT THE PONDS ARE SKIMMED OVER WITH ICE. ENOUGH FOR A COON TO CROSS ON BUT NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR A DOG TO CROSS ON. LET ALONE ME. THIS IS WHY I DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM TO SWIM. I KNOW THAT MAYBE SOMEDAY HE PROBABLE WILL AND YEA I'LL GO GET HIM. BUT FOR NOW WHEN HE RUNS A TRACK TO A POND, HE'LL JUST RUN UP AND DOWN THE BANK CHOPPING ON THE WATER. CALL ME FOLLISH BUT I REALLY DON'T WANT HIM TO SWIM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:54 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

What about them creeks that move just fast enough so they DON'T freeze?

30" of wader
+ 36"of creek
x 25 degree weather =
ONE ROUGH NIGHT

Post subject: re on swim
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i would check the tree out on the bank find the coon call the dogs back off the tree and pet the S#!* out of them when i got the leads on them and i might even shoot the coon out if needed and have them bring it back but if my dogs didn't listen like they do i would probally swim it or walk the ice thats my 2 cents worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have took a paddle boat out in november to get dogs ouy of the pond thay treed on the other edge in the swampy parts so i had to wade threw about chest deep for a good 20 feet to get to them thay treed there for 14 hours strait till we could get the boat. Thay had a 30# and 18 # coon up the tree

13721 Shangraw Rd
Rodman NY 13682
315-232-3695

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:25 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I've had to wade in chest deep water and 25 degrees to get mine...dumb dogs want come off the tree until you come and get them...they'll stay there no matter what.....call...shoot...squall...still won't come...don't unleash mine unless your're ready to hunt cause they are not coming back until treed....I got scratched 1 time in a hunt when they called time out and got within 15 feet of the dog and paid me no attention...just kept bawling and tracking....caught him when he treed....1 hr and 10 minutes later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yeah ive been there done that. ive even had some dogs that wouldnt listen and i would have to get them off the tree when i got there. but that changed when they made training collars. lol but i have waded thru very cold water with ice floating in it to get to my dogs that tree'd in the middle of the slough. it wasnt a pretty sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The reason I made this poll was to prove to my wife that I wasn't crazy. I've been coon huntin since I was 4 years old and my grandfather would throw your but in the water and make you go to the tree, so of course now I always get to the tree no matter what lies betweenn it and me. I think the worst time was when I had a coon swim across the river to another state on me, and of course so did my dogs. it was early Feb and about 25 degrees out. being it was in another state i wasn't exactly sure how to get to the dogs by truck, so I reluctantly chose to swim across the river too. it was hard keeping my light, rifle, and my pack out of the water, but it was even worse on the way back w/ three dogs on a leash and a coon in my pack. I eventually quit swimming and just let the dogs pull me across at their leasure.lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:04 am 
IP:
I wear neoprene waders with froglegs November thru March. You will get wet in my hunting areas no matter what. It's funny how many people want to go hunting with me during shirtsleeve weather but seem to be waaaay to busy during longhandle season LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'd go home, get my rope and rope my dogs. If I couldn't get them back without going across, then sure. I'm not leaving them in the woods but all other options first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:14 pm 
IP:
i swam the yadkin river one nite in freezing weather. walked the dogs back over a train trestle that was 40ft. over the river. one of the worst nites of my life. i still aint real sure what made the dogs go over there. i have trouble believing the coon swam the river to get away with trees all around.