CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Have you ever tried the BARF diet for your dogs?
Poll ended at Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:38 pm
What's a BARF diet? 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Heard of it, sounds stupid. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Sounds good, but too much trouble. 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Tried it, didn't like it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tried it, liked it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tried it, neither liked it nor disliked it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Heard of it, wondered about it, haven't tried it yet. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

PS:

If you're wondering "where I got the veggies," it is the waste products from my own personal juicer. Rather than cook my own vegetable for myself, I merely juice, and then I distribute the "garbage" evenly amongst my dogs. Again, you can go to Walmart and get a huge, wide-mouthed juicer for about $50. I had a smaller one, but they suck compared to the big-mouthed juicer featured. You don't have to cut the veggies much (if at all) and can just stuff a whole tomato, several carrots, etc. right down the pipe.

This right here is a bushel of carrots, celery, asparagus, tomatoes, cauliflower, an apple (for taste), plus half a jalapeño, as well as a horn of garlic clove. I just process all of this with the juicer, and I give myself quite a nutritious 1.8 glasses of juice (if you have a family, this would easily spread-out to about 4 smaller glasses of highly-nutritious vegetable juice):

Rather than eating vegetables "conventionally," I just have gotten into the habit of juicing instead ... because all of what I would normally "throw away" from their juicer is now an ultra-processed veggie-mix for the doggies :D

I merely take a rubber frosting scraper and scrape-out every bit of what's left into a doggie bowl ...

... and then I stir it up a bit to evenly-distribute the vegetable matter. This mixed bowl translates to 3 heaping tablespoons of vegetable mix that I am able to distribute amongst the 10 dogs I am currently feeding.

Anyway, giving the dogs the processed vegetable pulp from a juicer is a thousand-times more nutritious for them than giving them whatever is left of any vegetable when offered as a "dry pellet" in kibble form, so to me using a juicer for oneself is not only good for your own health, but it is also the very best and most economical way to pass the nutrition along to your dogs too.

The cost is negligible, because you too have already eaten these vegetables myself, and thus am merely using the garbage I would have otherwise thrown away. So essentially I am using the same vegetable twice 8)

Anyway, just another way to feed top quality nutrition to the dogs, economically, in these depressed times.

Hope this helps someone,

Jack

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:23 am 
IP:
Raw or Barf diets if anyone cook,s any part of the food or ads
warm water to the food they feed there dogs then they are not
feeding a raw diet. Any way this is what I think, but I could be wrong I am about 1 percent of the time. Lonnie Woodcox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:25 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The rice is supposed to be cooked. Everything else raw. It makes it easier for the dog's digestive system and bulks up the amount of food the dog eats so it feels fuller.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

that's all i ever cook is the rice when i use it. you cook a lot of the nutrients out of the food if you cook it

besides if i cook it I'm gonna eat it :mrgreen:

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

dwoocox wrote:
Raw or Barf diets if anyone cook,s any part of the food or ads warm water to the food they feed there dogs then they are not feeding a raw diet. Any way this is what I think, but I could be wrong I am about 1 percent of the time. Lonnie Woodcox

Since raw is defined as "uncooked" then, no, the cooked rice is not raw. I don't know if you needed special training to realize this or not, but thank you for another insightful contribution Mr. Woodcox.

As Karl and Arachyd concur, the rice needs to be cooked because the dogs can't digest it otherwise. Have you ever tried to feed a dog uncooked rice? Try it some time and tell me how well it was digested ... it tends to come out looking the same as when it went in :lol:

As I mentioned in my post, I am not trying to pass this off as "the best" way to feed, but rather a convenient way to feed inexpensively and conveniently. The cost is about $0.52/lb and the convenience is that it can all be obtained at WalMart.

If some of you live near a meat-rending plant, that is the cheapest way to get raw meat. I know people who have paid $60 for 800 lb of meat. That is a whole lot cheaper than my suggestion above, but most folks don't have meat rending plants next to them, nor do they want to tote 800 lb of meat scraps back home with them, to separate it all, package it, and then freeze it. But to those who "do" have such a plant next to the, and have the deep freezer space, and who are willing to go through all that meat ... it sure is a cheap way to get quality dogfood 8)

My suggestion above was simply "a" way to buy a good, solid nutrition profile for your dogs, conveniently and inexpensivly.

Others might have some excellent alternatives to suggest (other than "cooked rice isn't raw" :roll: )

For that matter, a soft-boiled egg isn't "raw" either, but it is a proven fact that soft-boiling the eggs (cooking them long enough to harden the white, yet still leaving the yolk moist) is the best and most nutritious way to eat eggs. Not only is raw albumen (egg white) not as easily digested as when it's cooked, but the repeated eating of raw egg white can cause a biotin deficiency, whereas this doesn't happen with the soft-boiled eggs. Yet with the yolk it is just the opposite: in raw form is when the yolk contains the most vitamins, etc., which is why soft-boiling them provides the best of both worlds: cooked outer white yet raw nutritious yolk.

Anyway, no this diet is not 100% "raw" ... but most of the ingredients are in fact raw ... but two of them do need to be cooked.

Hope this clarifies,

Jack

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am new to this forum, but I have to say this topic really got my attention!

I had just recently heard about RAW diet, and know of someone who is doing so. It sparked my curiousity enough to want to learn as much about it as I can.
Especially TheLittleBlackBook's replies, Well done, with all your detail from purchasing, preparing, to feeding. I found it very informative.
Since I have been one of the many struggling with the economy, I have to admit I have stooped as low as to purchasing that crap food; Ol' Roy.
I think another trip to Wally World is in order, but not for that crap Ol' Roy!

So, yes, Thank you! You have helped someone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:03 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Ol' Roy<----- :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

GutEmNH wrote:
I am new to this forum, but I have to say this topic really got my attention!
I had just recently heard about RAW diet, and know of someone who is doing so. It sparked my curiousity enough to want to learn as much about it as I can.
Especially TheLittleBlackBook's replies, Well done, with all your detail from purchasing, preparing, to feeding. I found it very informative.
Since I have been one of the many struggling with the economy, I have to admit I have stooped as low as to purchasing that crap food; Ol' Roy.
I think another trip to Wally World is in order, but not for that crap Ol' Roy!
So, yes, Thank you! You have helped someone.

Glad to hear it :)

Yes, you can shop at WallyWorld, but please be kinder to your dogs than to feed them Ol' Roy :D

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 pm 
IP:
Folks Jack has the wonderfull ability of presentation.Alot of the things I know and try and relay to you I have learned from Jack or his writings.

This nutirition information is dang near screaming "a working dogs diet".As Jack said his RAW recipe shown here isn't a "premium" diet but you will notice the difference in your dogs during hunting season with even the "budget" diet.

Jack once told me to start watching the dogs water consumption after feeding RAW.After 2 weeks I noticed I wasn't filling the water bowls as much.Even in warm weather.

Meat,unlike dry kibble,contains tons more water.The dog doesn't need to drink as much to hydrate itself as the water in the meat helps.Now I don't mean the dogs will quit drinking water all together but they will want less.Not too mention the small amount of poop.

With todays HI-Pro feeds and preservatives etc.. the dogs kidneys will be working over time to process this protien.Not to mention the added stress of processing gallons of water to boot.

Jack can sure give you a better insight but these are all things to think about when cutting the dog for a nite of fun!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:29 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I've never seen that book before. Where can I order it? Nice muscling on the cover dog.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you very much for your kind words, Techno, I appreciate it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Arachyd, I apologize for not responding sooner, but I have had a buncha stuff going on. Just got back from a trip picking up some doggies :)

I have just finished this book actually, and just got my first copy in myself today. It is a revision and upgrade from a previous book I had out there, but I have changed it to be directed to benefitting all of the sporting breed types, not just one. There are a thousand and two tips and secrets I have learned over the years, that I have put into this work. You sound like a very knowledgeable dog person yourself, and I am sure you already know much of it, but the material has benefitted hundreds of folks already under previous cover.

There is a link to it under my signature, and there is a table of contents which shows what's inside, as well as quite a few testimonials from those who have got the previous version.

Thanks,

Jack

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hahaha! That gave me a chuckle! Every time I start to think I know a thing or two about dogs they go and do something I can't figure out just to keep me confused :roll: Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I hope the book does well for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The diet you have laid out...how often is that fed to the dogs? Do you supplement during the day with anything else as "treats"? Such as chicken necks etc.

I was also curious if beef trimmings or organ meats (livers etc) could be used as well as the chicken.

Devil's Trap Rox My Sox (Roxy)
Saddle back black brindle

Devil's Trap Salt and Burn (Casey)
Red Brindle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:24 pm 
IP:
I'm not Jack but I can tell you the meal is fed once a day.Sure you can give them "extras" if youd like but they are not needed.

Yes you can give livers,hearts etc etc with or in place of the chicken.It's actually good for them to get that stuff on a alternating basis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks Techno.

I'm pickin' up 10 lbs of beef trimmings from the butcher tonight. He said any time I need 'em to just come on by and ask for 'em.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next