CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I am leaning twards getting one of these setups few questions though are you all running the the new or the old collars and if you have the old collars retro fitted for under the neck with a wire ant. does the tree switch still work?(because it is inverted)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:26 pm 
IP:
pangero859 wrote:
I am leaning twards getting one of these setups few questions though are you all running the the new or the old collars and if you have the old collars retro fitted for under the neck with a wire ant. does the tree switch still work?(because it is inverted)

I'm running the new colalrs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

are most of these post with the 20 or 30 series collars specify with one when posting i heard the 30 was supposed to be much better

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

North East Oklahoma here extremely thick cant walk through type cover .5 mile open gently roling hills 1 mile. has anyone tried the anttena that mounts on the truck?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have had mine out to 900 yds with out signal loss in northern ky hunting 900ft hills and hardwoods with thick brush in between,

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:12 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

DC-30 dog was about a mile ,mile and half in thick thick country EVEN IF THE DOG STATUS IS A ? MARK HIT THE DOG BUTTON AND IT WILL SHOW DIRECTION AND DISTANCE NOT STATUS THATS WHAT I C WHEN IM IN THICK CEDARS HARD WOODS AND HILLS AND HOLLERS THEY WORK GOOD

Post subject: Range in East TN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have had my Garmin system for about 3 months now and love it. I am running the DC-30 collars. I hunt in East Tn with hills and mountains. I have had the small antenna pick up almost 2 miles from inside the truck as we were driving around looking for the dogs. I have not lost single with the long-range antenna for more then a few second yet so I don’t know its range but I can tell a difference. I have been on the backside of a large hill where the small antenna lost reception and hooked up the long-range one and it picked up fine. We went hunting Friday night and my dog was over a mile most of the night and I only lost reception for a few min when she went around one of the mountains. We drove to the last place she was, I got reception again, and found her treed. I am going to sell my Tracker Maxima and buy a couple more DC-30's. I will never go back to the beep collars.

I have always loved coon hunting since I was a child. My dad and I mostly hunted walkers and always did great with them. However, I dont even own a walker now. I have fell in love with blueticks. Happy Hunting Everyone!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

east texas. in n.f. thick cover medium canopy flat land i get about 3/4 - 1 mile then signal starts fading

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got my Garmin back with the new upgraded board that is suppose to stop the loss of tracking range caused by using a high powered radio close to the Garmin.

We had three Garmin astro 220 tracking 4 collars in central Florida just South of Perry, very flat with planted pines and cypress ponds. My roof mount antenna was not working so I used the regular antenna that comes with the unit. Both of my friends also used the regular antenna. We started losing siginal around 800-900 yards and at ½ mile none of the three Garmin units could pick up any of the collars.

So with the regular antenna our max tracking range last weekend was ½ mile.

I hear of people that get miles on a regular basis. I wonder if some units just pick up better or if the area you hunt makes a difference. (You don’t get any flatter than where we were hunting last weekend). My test was with 3 units and 4 collars so I believe it is a good sample of what you should expect in central Florida.

Also if you are having problems with your tracker there is some good info at
http://www.biggamehoundsmen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8387&sid=638042f5bfd732c5563903a30d3e49b3&start=30

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

BIG Question, so I need a BIG answer

If I buy one of these off E-bay, today will it have the updated board in it? I use motorola radios when hunting to tell everyone the direction of the dogs? I am screwed if the radios burns up the unit..
HELP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I used the same 4 dc 30 collars with a brand new roof mount antenna and where i was getting 1/2 mile i get right at or just under 1 mile. with the regular antenna i still get 1/2 mile.

if you dont have a roof mount antenna you need to get one to extend your range. Does anyone know who i could contact to get an after market antenna to hopefully extend my range farther.

I have not exposed my Garmin the the motorola raido use as hunting season does not start until the middle of November. I will report back on if the new upgraded board holds up or not.

does anyone know someone that is working on the garmins on the side. you would think over time someone will come out with a way to increase the power so we can get better range. if i could count on 2 miles of range under all conditions i would not need anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:17 pm 
IP:
Here in WI. From July - mid October our bear season I would get 6 tenths of a mile with the short antenna and with the extendable hand wand antenna I got 2.7 miles and still had a good signal. This was in rolling hills and thick foliage. I would stay away from the roof mounted antennas if you have a high watt radio. I here that's what's been eating the units up. I just use the hand wand and have been good all season with no issues of loss of range.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a dc30 and a dc20 collar converted with the cable antenna. The coverted dc20 loses signal more fequently, but works fairily decent. The tree switch works the same. I bought the kit off ebay. It is worth the $50 if you already have a dc20. It is a lot cheaper than the price of a dc30.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Went out last night in northern Ohio, left one collar at my buddys house and rode with my bud. after reaching our hunting grounds i noticed that the collar i left in my top storage was on and showing 11.5 mile. thats impressive :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

With the 11.5 miles did you go to the collar screen and check to see if it had gps siginal and was making contact with the collar i lev mine at home every day i work and sometimes i can get 60 miles. because it does not change to a question mark when i loss siginal.

Yesterday i was hunting and I forgot a dog and we i checked i was three miles from the dog and it showed i still had him I started back and when I was about 400 yards South of his location where it showed him it jumped to .5 miles to my West. So it does not always tell the truth. I also have days when a Question Mark moves right along with my other collars.

I hunted for the past 5 days using two units and 5 dc 30's in Central Florida My range was about 1 mile with the long range antenna. I turn them on at 5:00am and put them back on charge at about 9:00pm everyday. They go through periods that you cant track but 800 yards and then 30 min latter you can pick them up at a mile. and sometimes they all loss satilite signal at the same time. I still run Quick track collars with each dog in addition to the garmins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next