CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the new dc30 only got 900yards in rolling hill range :cry: and even drove up to tho top of the mountain and still did not pick them up west desert of utah

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I get 1.25 miles in s.e mi. Moderate woods and not real hilly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i hunt in hilly terrain that I can compare to the Ozarks. I have only got about a mile and a half with mine. I will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

4.09 miles in the rolling hills of VA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Garmin Astro with DC30 collar

Rocky, heavily timbered Pacific Northwest on the coast of Vancouver Island, steep hills, deep ravines, thick underbrush. Always wet.......

I put the collar at the base of a hill in a small hollow to simulate my dog treed in the *worst* type of scenario.... then I hiked up the various hills with the collar below and to my back. There was no "line of sight", just a bunch of hills and timber between me and the collar.

Reception with the small rubber GPS antennae was lost at 800m distance, then I switched to the long range antennae. It worked well until I hiked to the very summit of the largest hill [ 350m elevation difference between me and collar ] at which point I could again get reception with the small rubber antennae.

On another occasion, I placed the collar in a similar area and drove 6 kms away in similar terrain. Reception started to get sketchy at the 6 km distance with the long range antennae.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:46 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i seen it work out to 1.5 mi then we drove around the section to catch dogs i cant say it would of or wouldnt of worked beyond that, here in indiana basically all of our sections are 1 mile squares, so especially when the rut is in its nice to know if the dogs are going to leave the section or not, or if its closer to drive around and walk in from the other side, i do not own the system my father in law does and im thinking about purchasing one, i have to say im rather impressed with this system, when they first came out i was very hesitant about buying one after reading all of the bad posts about them, but after some reading i caught on most of the bad posts was operator error instead of equipment error, i will not be getting rid of my big tracking system if i do purchase one this is just another hunting tool that i think can be a big asset, i would highly recomend you find someone with one and watch it work a few times before you buy one, it may cost a little up front but i think its worth it because of how much time it saves you in the woods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:36 am 
IP:
doesnt anybody from wv have one? really like to know how far one would pick up around here before i go buy one..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So far .65 miles is as far as we have tried it. Rolling hills deep creek bottoms all covered in hardwoods. I am very pleased with the system so far. It has been dead on accurate and takes some of the guess work out, I love it!

Drive on!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

just got the truck mount antenna. gettin 4 miles consistantly pretty flat ground and it is winter so no leaves on the trees. truck antenna is making a huge difference got 7 miles once

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 pm 
IP:
i live here innortheast louisiana and it has done everything that i needed it to the farthest i went was 1.2 miles and then turned around and came back but is was still recieveng signal. i try to stay close to my dogs because i had a walker that i turned out on a saturday night we went and treed ina den then we walked some more ahead and she just left the country. this was 2 weeks before i got my garmin for christmas but she was gone for 6 days until some deer runners caught her. although i am glad to say that she will not run deer she was just traveling the side of the road looking for some houses i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

almost 3 miles last night, lost communication a few times but came back with seconds. Dogs were hunting bottom land with rolling hills bout sixty miles north of atlanta. Only issue i ever have is battery life on the collar but i back the garmin up with a quick track system and the combo works flawlessly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My range is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile with the DC30. Anything longer then that we are usually in the pickup driving to the next mile and it doent get very good signal in the cab of the truck. I hunt in East central Kansas with some small rolling hills and fair amount of trees. If he drops down into a deep creek it will usually loose signal until he comes back out of it.

Home of NtCh MainStreet Roy Jr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm 
IP:
I also have the truck mount antenna and got 2.68 miles in the rocky mtns. It may have gotten more but I didn't need it too. There is a huge difference with that antenna.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

are most of these replys with dc20 collar or the dc30 just wondering i heard the new collar was supposed to get better reception

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:06 pm 
IP:
I have been gettin 1.2 miles in canyon terraine in Utah. I put the long range collar on and was getting 3.99 miles easy. I do lose signal for a few seconds once in a while, but it comes back quick if the dogs are moving through a steep canyon. I cannot imagine going back to the old tracking box after have used this system. I absolutely love the fact that it marks the last location of the dog when it had signal. I get my dogs in a lot of holes. With this unit I will be able to get to them a heck of a lot quicker. I lost my Sassy dog in a hole with a yote right before I got my Garmin. 3 hours of walking and manually trying to track my dog in the snow before I found her. With the Garmin, I would have only been about a half hours hike to the hole. The map system and dog tracking logs are priceless when evaluating a young prospect. I for one am completey sold on this system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next