CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: keeping on a tree
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:00 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i got a 17 month old walker pup that will out track most dogs i've hunted with but when it comes to treeing he has never slick treed but when he trees he'll stay there just long enough to see you coming or until you get right there close and he is gone after another and some times he starts second guessing and never will just narrow it down to one tree he but there will be a coon right there with in a tree or two of where he is when you get close. and will not tree with some dogs whether there is a coon or not. What would be the best way to fix it? And can you hunt a dog to much

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:37 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I would tie him to the tree that the coon is in and shoot the coon dont let him have it make him want it. He'll learn he needs to finish the job then. This works best with more than one dog.

Post subject: exelent advice
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thats great advice Tyler, Everytime you get to the tree and he is not there, catch him, tie him back then shoot the coon out to the other dog don't let him touch it, If he is there tie him to the tree, pet him up, shoot the coon out to him. eventually he will be there everytime. But keep tieing him to it for a while so he doesn't take off while you are locating the coon.... It works, I know from experience... Good luck....

Post subject: Hunting a dog to much...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is just my opinion, I don't hunt everynight, it gets to be to much like a job. If I get to feeling burned out, I tend to think the dogs are the same way. So I lay us both up for a night

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:47 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks for the advise i will sure try it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Tie him up to the tree but when you shoot it out dont let him go get it just make him want really bad then he will slowly start finishing the job..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:39 pm 
IP:
Some decent advice. I would start with not letting him leave the tree. This is one of the few instances I will use a shock collar. If he comes off the tree make him uncomfortable with that collar. If you are right there tell him no verbally when he is getting shocked and tell him to get on that tree. Pet him up on the tree he tries to come of correct him again until You are ready to stop. No it wouldn't hurt to pop one or two out to him while he is treeing

Post subject: Re: keeping on a tree
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im hunting a dog that does the EXACT SAME thing n ive tried tiein to the tree huntin him 4-5 nights a week to 1-3 ....thing is he'll sit there hammer on the tree like a champ then see us coming and off to another one .....thing about it is its getting me irritated to the max chasing this dog that tracks n trees n hunts hard but cant finish the job let me know if you figure something out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:29 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Theres many different reasons a dog will leave a tree.One is they dont want to get caught.Another is they are gun shy...Or they wont tree with other dogs very long....You just have to figure out why they leave.Then work on that......A shocking collar in the right hands can help a dog like this.A lited dog collar helps know where they are and treeing or checking trees.It also makes them easyer to catch...LOL.But Ive seen many that cant be fixed no matter what you do...I tryed out a dog once that treed 17 coon in one night.She left every tree but they all had coon up in them...LOL..It was along a river bottom.We never did catch the dog..She came into a house about a week later starving to death. She had the owners collar on with a name plate so they contacted him.I got my tracking collar back...LOL...That dog never did stay put on a tree.........LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:30 am 
IP:
There are some dogs like chet said that can't be broke.. What I would do is get a lighted collar.. Take the dog to where you know hes probably going to get treed quick.. put a THICK rope on the dog that is long enough for you to catch the dog b4 it gets away. Say if the dog lets you get 10 ft. then takes off running. Make the rope 12ft. just incase the dog decides to leave a little early. Walk into the tree with your light off.. *some dogs won't leave if you leave your light off* But if he runs you then grabe the rope and yank on the rope and say "stay" and tie the dog to the tree *if theres a coon in it* and leave the dog treed around 30/40 mins... then come back shoot the coon out and don't let them have none.. Then redo that.. If he still dosn't stay treed, then try giving him some of the coon.. The reason for having the the lighted collar is that way if the rope gets caught up you'll be able to find your dog quicker.. If you don't have one *I don't either* then try a bell.. Cause the rope can get caught up and your dog could die.. My grand father did that with his dogs and it worked for years.. And i've done it with some dogs, but some dogs are like people.. they just won't get rite.. and if he won't just cull him.

thats just me though

god bless and safe hunting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:17 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

letting a dog rerun a coon shook out of a tree will make them tree and leave faster then anything.
some young dogs go through a phase of treeing and leaving and some just don't have the natural bred in trait to stay treed.if it is a training error or breeding weakness, he may never be a stay put tree dog. there are many many weak bred dogs that will not stay treed. did the dog ever stay treed at any time during his training. if so ,look back at anything that was done that could of started it. if he just started leaving after he had been staying put. he should come back around on his own.some dogs it helps not to give them the coon. some it helps to roll them out and saturate them with coon.but if he leaves before you get to him and you cant catch him its kinda a mute point.if you can catch him,whip his butt all the way back to the tree and leash him down.myself i will not mess with one that has never stayed hooked and showed me he is capable of doing it. if i have to make one stay , it will never be the dog i want..and a big YES on if you can hunt a young dog too much. yes indeedy you can............................TC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Tank1213 wrote:
This is just my opinion, I don't hunt everynight, it gets to be to much like a job. If I get to feeling burned out, I tend to think the dogs are the same way. So I lay us both up for a night

I would almost feel the oposit every time i see my dogs on the chain or in the kennel I think they should be in the timber no matter how many nites they have went out they always want to go hunting

Nitch'Pr' Deepwoods Cye Boy
Grnitch'Pr' Like NO Dawn J
Grnitch'Pr' Maves' Nightmare Ms. Monster
GrCh Grnitch'Pr' Rebel's War Cry
'Pr' M&S' Screamin Loose Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:26 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

some people like 2 tie there dogs out then kick the coon out 4 a hot race, this will cause a dog leavin the tree. and if hes leavin and not comin 2 U then thats prob wats wrong with him.

RIP THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A BOBCAT LIGHT If you want a good dependable light give Bob a call at 918-822-8888

They call me Chief not mess around 4 a reason :)... Ole Stone Mountains Billy Bob and Copper, Good as the Best and Better than the Rest. Names Stoney. wanna hunt give me a call or text @ 918-497-0269

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 7 month old that is going with old dogs ,is at every tree but nerver barks on track or tree, but will fight coon, and has only been to the woods 5 times.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:52 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

First of all, the hunting every night thing. It doesn't matter what you want. Learn to read your dog. If it is slugesh about going. It is getting to much and needs to be layed up a night or two.
Now the leaveing the tree thing. I would go back to a drag and scenting the trunk of the tree. By the way, I would allways use a dead coon for a drag when ever posible. Then lowering the drag and teasing the crap out of it. Trying to trouble shoot or train in the woods I think is a mistake. Set up a situation that you are in complete controll of and work from there.
I can make a dog go to the tree or any were ealse with a e collar BUT I can't make it like the work with one. Make it fun tease it like the girls in short skirts do you. Then when you got it really wanting it. Take him and put him in his pen. Do that a few days before you give him a tug on it. I know this is a lot differant than ever one ealse but it is what I would do. I would do it in the day time the first day. So he can see it.
After that do it at night so he can't. Be sure and get a little scent on the tree but don't over scent becouse he will expect that much scent on trees in the woods. When you go back to hunting him. I wouldn't hunt him at all till you get his head right at home.

BE SURE WHEN YOU LEED HIM OFF THAT TREE YOU PET AND PRAISE HIM ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE TRUCK!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dawg on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.