CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Slick!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

guys dont like to hear this but some times dogs are just plain and simple back tracking...you would be surprized at what you can find out just by going hunting in the snow.........tom

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:17 am 
IP:
I have a slightly different take on this. While I agree about alot of dogs that slick are weak track dogs, this is a training issue. If I have dog thats strong on a tree and has proven it can track and trail. If that dog tree's and I can't find an obvious den in that tree. Its going to be switched. Period. 75% accuracy, as was stated earlier in this post, is 100% not acceptable. Its either laziness on the handlers part, by not finding the coon. Or its a slick treeing idiot. I'll stay at a tree for 2 hours to find a critter in it. I will climb a tree, if possible, to find a critter in it. If you have a good dog, you should prove it right. I grew up hunting in 150' douglas firs that never lose their leaves. We found the coons. If you can't prove your dog right, he should be disciplined. Otherwise you will be doing this until you get rid of him or he dies. If theoreticly,there was a coon in the tree, if your dog is a COON dog, you won't hurt him by a little switching. If there is a possible den in the tree, then just leash the dog up and walk away. No words at all. Just so you know, out of all the major animals people pursue with dogs, coons are by far the easiest to catch. This problem is primarily a coon dog problem. People use the same dogs to run big game and big game hunters won't put up with this. 1 four hour hike to the bottom of a canyon with an empty tree will fix any problems like this. Its about what YOU are willing to put up with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:01 pm 
IP:
coonscry wrote:
I'll stay at a tree for 2 hours to find a critter in it. I will climb a tree, if possible, to find a critter in it.

I agree 100% about people giving up too easy sometimes to find a coon. I will spend hours looking for one also, however I WON'T climb a tree. I hunt alone alot and a fall could turn out real bad for me. Years ago I used to climb them if I couldn't find the coon, but I fell one night and haven't climbed one since. I will say though that when you go to that extreme to find one you will be surprised at how accurate your dog really is, and how easily you can overlook one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:59 pm 
IP:
Well there is a shred of hope that my dog is not a slick treeing idiot. He has had swollen lymph nodes in his neck for a couple months now that wouldn't go down. I took him to the vet today and it turns out he has an ear infection. The vet asked me how well he had been hunting because according to him an ear infection can effect their sense of smell. Looking back I started having the slick treeing problem about the same time as I noticed the swollen lymph nodes so maybe that is related. I'll post on here what happens after it clears up. If he doesn't quit slick treeing he will be for sale. He should make one heck of a PKC dog..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Your not the only one in that boat ive got a 20month old male doing the same thing he was doing AWESOME until here lately and he has been doing his fair share of slick treeing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:28 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

its that time of year , its cold the grounds frozen and the boars are ruttin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:50 am 
IP:
cooner online wrote:
its that time of year , its cold the grounds frozen and the boars are ruttin

That to me is an excuse. I don't make excuses for my hounds. They either get it done consistently or I send them packing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm not an expert but have logged may years in the woods with good ones and bad ones .But when the slick treeing starts it's usually the conditions of the environment be it weather or the dog A few stern words and some light spanking will go a long way for young hounds.Sometimes young dogs will burn out period. Some hounds are great in the summer average in the winter and spring.A lot of these old feeder tracks are hard for a lot of dogs to sort out And the dog usually end up at the tree the coon clumb out of!( backtracking but only treeing where the scent is at it's best) A lot of times a dog wont tree as hard if it doesn't think it's right . that's when talking to and light scolding will help them check there wood better. Main thing if they don't sound right give them time walk in close but dont shine yet or even go on by them for a short distance . Another tool is night vision monocular's you can check a tree from a little distance (best in the summer time don't need to use them when the leaves are off) that way you are pretty sure there is no fur up there before you discipline your dog. Actually the night vision monocular's are less than $300.00 for what would be needed for checking a tree for a coon.I have seen many a hunter whip, beat, shock,kick and yell at there dogs for treeing empty's,Then when their 50 yards from the tree turn around and see the yellow eyes staring at them,they feel really stupid.I really want to no for sure if there's nothing or something up the tree before i scold or praise a dog at any age at the tree. Most of us have $300 dollar lights ,$1000.00 tracking systems ect. ect. so why not something to really see whats in the tree. There cheaper than having to keep an old dog to check with. Back in the 60's when I started hunting with a carbide light and Coleman gas lantern the only slick tree's i ever had was the ones i fell off crossing a creek!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:29 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Theres many different reasons a dog will slick tree...One is When you get to a woods the coons up a tree and comes down as they here your truck doors slam shut..Ive seen many coon laying up come down as we cut the dogs loose.Most dogs will tree on a tree where the coon just came out of..Even Grand Nite Champions and World champions....LOL...Theres also coon you cant see with out a scope on your 22..You wont believe how many you can find with a scope...Guys will say they have a dog that 90% of having the coon..Well thats rare if thats true.Ive found that the best dogs are about 75% or close to it..Now this is a way above average dog .Most quick treedogs dogs are 50%...The way Ive always looked at it.Many oldtimers will say this too.IF You average 1 coon per night.Thats 100+ coon in a kill season..Thats pretty good..I dont care who you are....Thats not hunting more than 3-4 hours a night on average ...I know guys that hunt all night just about everynight that tree 100-200 coon..But thats a lot of hunting...LOL..The average hunter that hunts 2-4 days a week tree 20-40 coon per kill season...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if my dog was only 50%,75% or 90% accurate,i would not be hunting it. i'm not walking to slick trees.people say all dogs miss. my oh my,i have to disagree, dogs can be beat,leaning blown over tree or a cross over maybe. but to flat out miss the right tree on that % of tracks is not the type of dogs i am hunting.i've had many dogs that were one bark tree dogs,fast at locating or whatever you want to call it, and they did not slick tree. a dog with tracking ability does not come up empty.period.a good track dog can tell if a track goes up the tree or down and does not tree just because there is scent on the tree.alot of young dogs go through a phase of slick treeing,if hunted through it and corrected they get over it. if they don't, they will become old dogs in someone elses kennel......................TC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:52 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Most hunters care more about having a good time out hunting.Than the number of coon they tree.They are happy with dogs that dont run trash and handle well.When you cut them loose they tree within 15-30 minutes or so within the woods you cast them in.If its a small patch woods or 50 acres of timber...They want a dog to hunt it out then come in.When a dog trees they want it to stay put until they get there.If they treed 50 coon per year in kill season they would have a better than average seaon for the average hunter..They dont want a dog to go until they hit a hot track and tree..a mile or two away..If anybodys not happy with a dog that 75- 90% accurate..They would have to go through a lot of dogs to find them...Dogs that are like that are hardly ever forsale.(If ever).Dogs that are better than 90% are once or twice in a lifetime dogs..Thats if you train them yourself.Money might be able to buy a few..But they wont be cheap...Ive hunted for 40+ yrs with some of the so called best dogs around the country and have never seen one yet...90% or better...believe it or not....

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
Most hunters care more about having a good time out hunting.Than the number of coon they tree.They are happy with dogs that dont run trash and handle well.When you cut them loose they tree within 15-30 minutes or so within the woods you cast them in.If its a small patch woods or 50 acres of timber...They want a dog to hunt it out then come in.When a dog trees they want it to stay put until they get there.If they treed 50 coon per year in kill season they would have a better than average seaon for the average hunter..They dont want a dog to go until they hit a hot track and tree..a mile or two away..If anybodys not happy with a dog that 75- 90% accurate..They would have to go through a lot of dogs to find them...Dogs that are like that are hardly ever forsale.(If ever).Dogs that are better than 90% are once or twice in a lifetime dogs..Thats if you train them yourself.Money might be able to buy a few..But they wont be cheap...Ive hunted for 40+ yrs with some of the so called best dogs around the country and have never seen one yet...90% or better...believe it or not....
your right,i've been through a whole lot of dogs,bought,raised, sold and gave away,traded,i would'nt even try to guess how many i've had.and could no way tell you how many i've hunted with. most went on to please someone else just fine.sold one for $50,he went on to sell for $4000,then $7000,i drew him in the hunts after that and he was still the chase barking slick treeing idiot i sold for $50.another i traded in on a dog i liked alot better,the dog i traded in went on to win 14 cast wins in a row, i still got the better end of the trade and gave money to boot..out of all the hounds i've took hunting in 36 yrs,i had some that were close, but only 5 were my type of dog. they were not cheap and they were NOT FOR SALE when we went hunting,but i owned them when we got home.i kept them till they died of old age.i still have 1 and he is 11 yrs old,at 15 months old he would slick tree alot, by the time he was 2 he was deadly accurate and has been every since then.i'm putting pups on the ground out of him while i still can get em. 8) out of the other 4,, 2 were dogs i had sold as puppies and they were off spring of the other 2.......none were hot nosed, i don't pack it in when deer season starts,i hunt through dec,jan,feb.all 5 would take tracks as they came to them.if a dog only looks for a hot track, i don't need it.nor do i want one to come back,where i live there is no reason for one to. if i hunted in a differant part of the country it might be a differant story.i will not say i have never walked to a slick with any of them,but they have been very far and few between.and i hunt all year long.maybe my math aint that good on %,but i know when i walk into a dog, i expect to see a coon if its a solid tree.and do.i too have been with alot of good dogs,power house, big name hounds, some i would not care to own.i hunted alot with one of the best known redticks of all time, i did'nt really like the dog,he was sold for $40,000 a good friend of mine owned and sold the dog.i hunted with a walker a whole lot that was the all time money winner in pkc at the time ,he still may be,he won over $100,000,i did not like him.ALL dogs have a hole in them big enough to drive a truck through, slick treeing is just one i won't tolerate.its all in what a person will put up with in a dog and how bad they want to find one that suits them.i've been very lucky to have what i think are 5 once in a life time hounds, and i plan to have one or two more before i'm too old to hit it as hard as i do now.i will be the first to say i'm very hard to please and 90% of the dogs i don't want would please 95% of the hunters out there. thats the problem with a once in a life time hound,they will forever spoil a guy on what he will accept..so i would say you are 97% right on you post :lol: ...........................TOE CUTTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:42 am 
IP:
I don't reply to most post..............just enjoy reading them. But this is another exception. There was a post similar to this one about a year ago that just got brought up again and I replied to it as well. ACCURACY..............I will never say that a dog is or is not capable of being 90%-95%-99% accurate. That would be me judging a dog I have never hunted with or in a part of the country I have never hunted. One thing I will repeat is that I have never had the pleasure of hunting with a dog that is 99% accurate. Leaning trees as mentioned, leaves on trees, and den trees. I have been chasing these hounds around since I was 12 years old and I am now 40 so it has been for a few years anyway. It is not uncommon for me to hunt 3-4 nights a week for about 2 turn outs each night (pretty much the normal) and looking at coons every turn out. Next week probably will not have the same results. All I do is pleasure hunt but have hunted with many, many, many, many, good pleasure and competition hounds over the years and have never had a chance to witness that kind of accuracy. Like I said earlier in this post and the one similar to it, I will never say it is not true but I would love for someone to call me next time they are down my way because I would love to follow some of these hounds thru the woods.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:28 pm 
IP:
How come its ok for coon dogs to false tree? Big game dogs don't do it and last long. I can tell you right now that my dogs are well over 95% "accurate". I made a post in the general section about it. I won't own a dog that false trees. I have a 3 strike rule. Literally. Thats any flaws. A false treeing dog gets sold out pretty quick by its poor breeding. As does an aggressive dog. If you doubt it, I'll go hunt with anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:25 pm 
IP:
Just got in about 30 minutes ago. Took my 14 month old pup by himself..........no feeders............just me and him. Took him two different turn outs but he got struck and treed in about twenty minutes on the second turn out. I did not see the coon. By myself, up a big tall pine, looked for about 30 minutes, squalling, and still no coon. Would you say he missed...............hell if I know but no coon. He sure thought he had him and I kind of think he did but DID NOT SEE THE COON. How easy would it be for me to sit here and say I did. I bet if one of these perfect hounds that never miss came along then maybe that coon would have looked down at that very moment. Come on guys, I have missed deer, rabbits, squirrel, turkeys, ducks, quail, doves and I guess just about every other critter I have hunted and just don't see how any hound could go his entire life without missing and we are talking about coondogs that we can't even have a conversation with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next