CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hunting females in heat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I dont think it matters, but do you guys hunt your females when they are in heat?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

What I have heard people say is they dont want some lab whos wandering around to breed there dog while they are hunting. Other than just any dog breeding yours I couldnt tell you if it makes a diference or not

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:01 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

huntin'coons wrote:
I dont think it matters, but do you guys hunt your females when they are in heat?

If you don't care about a litter of cross breed pups that you have no idea what kind of breed the sire might be, then yea, I guess it doesn't matter.

If ya want to hunt a female for 365 days a year.......get her spayed.

If not, put her up when she is in heat.......In my opinion, that is the responsible thing to do.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

from personal experience i wouldnt hunt a female in heat... cause ive seen some wierd lookin coonhound crosses from my buddy's runnin there dogs in heat... just not a chance i would be willin to take..

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:18 am 
IP:
Buckshot wrote:
huntin'coons wrote:

If you don't care about a litter of cross breed pups that you have no idea what kind of breed the sire might be, then yea, I guess it doesn't matter.

If ya want to hunt a female for 365 days a year.......get her spayed.

If not, put her up when she is in heat.......In my opinion, that is the responsible thing to do.

Amen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I wouldn't advise it because the risk of her getting pregnant. But I know of a dog that was conceived this way and he became a Grand night champion and a world night champion. He was the first Treeing Cur registered with the NKC. His mother was a walker and his father was an Airedale. They were out hunting the female and when they found her they were locked together. So it can turn out good but I dont think dogs like Sport are common.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:56 pm 
IP:
Or even a Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:00 pm 
IP:
I have hunted females in heat and will do so again. Its not the best idea everywhere but where I hunt I don't see other people or dogs. Ever. I also would think a litter of coyote/walker pups would be a GREAT experiment. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i dont think it a good thang to do with other dogs around at all maby by them self is fine i just have a very bad experince i was hunting with a buddy and he had a guy with him i never hunted with befor and he had a bule tick female and when u go hunting u dont take the time to check other guys dogs so we cut the dogs lose and i had a young male walker about 14 moths old a and he cound do it all and so 30 mits go by and no dog had opend at all and i thouth that was odd so i pull out the tracker a rellize that he was relly close to me so i go walk about 50 yards in the woods and there he was locked up with the blue tick and now he abou 26 moths old and i stll can hunt him with eny female even when they not in heat he will just chase the female around and for gets all about hunting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have had no problems with it when running alone as I run only females. Have noticed they do get a little cranky with other females when in heat.

I agree a hound-yote cross may be intresting. Just don't think my dogs would let them get that close.

If you hunt with anyone that has a male, or there is the possiblity of one being around leave them at home. It's only 3 weeks.

Steve

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:10 pm 
IP:
I hunt all females
and hunt them in heat all the time.
I hunt in remote at night where I am the only one for miles.
never had a problem. :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i heard of special remedies you put on the dog that made the smell of the dog in heat go away for a while..do theses work?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:59 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Catch & Release wrote:
I hunt all females
and hunt them in heat all the time.
I hunt in remote at night where I am the only one for miles.
never had a problem. :roll: :mrgreen:

Problem with that is you may be the only one out there hunting.........doesn't mean a male dog isn't out there.

I have hunted in places where I knew I was the only one there hunting but strange dogs came in -- more times than not it wasn't a coonhound, but some mangy mutt.

When I release the dogs, I have no idea if there is any other male dogs in the woods -- I am not taking that chance.

I hunted with a guy a couple months back and on one of the turn outs, a redbone female came into us -- I took the owner his hound the next morning and he told me that he had lost 2 of them back 4 days before and there was a male still out there.

Had that female not came into us, we'd have no idea that there was a pair of coonhounds out there.

Hunt a female in heat and that male redbone may breed her in the woods and you not even know it -- at least until it's obvious something got with her.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

id recomend leaving her at home because i had a walker female and a blue male an i hunted them together when she was in heat and ended up with 9 pups and you cant even put a price on cross hounds i gave em all away but one i kept it to hunt myself but by the time i had rid of them dang pups i was out alot of money in dog food

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:05 pm 
IP:
Best dog i got is a walker bluetick cross. But i dont comp hunt at all!!!!Was treein at 6 months old and aint quit yet at 2!! :D :D :D
Theres a pic of him on my website!! go to males!!
http://www.freewebs.com/oklahomacooner/index.htm