CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

the pup i am working right now is only 12 weeks old. you can use a long lead 50 ft and consistanly work the pup everyday on it. call it and when it dont come just slowly pull it in and reward it when it gets to you. or the pup i am working i just let him kinda roam around and i carry some bacon in my pocket. when he comes when call he gets a few bites and some praise. but he dont get the bacon everytime because i dont want to make a huge habbit out of him exspecting a piece of bacon everytime he comes to me. one or the other either way should do some good. i'd probably start with the lead with maybe a few treats before trying it without the lead.

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:18 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks ill try that .

SMOKIN HOT CHLOIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:59 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i do the same thing with a long rope, but i say come, if she still dont come on the 3rd 1 i give her a jerk til she comes to me

RIP THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A BOBCAT LIGHT If you want a good dependable light give Bob a call at 918-822-8888

They call me Chief not mess around 4 a reason :)... Ole Stone Mountains Billy Bob and Copper, Good as the Best and Better than the Rest. Names Stoney. wanna hunt give me a call or text @ 918-497-0269

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:36 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I used a 20 foot lead and said come then slowly pulled him in when he got to me i petted him up good iv only given him treats a couple times.

Today was the first day i used the e-collar on him i shocked him twice and now all i have to do is beep him and he comes just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

varowdywalker wrote:
or the pup i am working i just let him kinda roam around and i carry some bacon in my pocket. when he comes when call he gets a few bites and some praise. but he dont get the bacon everytime because i dont want to make a huge habbit out of him exspecting a piece of bacon everytime he comes to me.

Thats a good idea, when I was out with my dog when he was little i always had treats and he got them for coming to me, but only randomly every 3rd or 4th time. I think this gives them an idea that coming to you eventually pays off so they should do it every time for a chance at a treat. Even now when i call him and he comes right to me he gets a little praise and petting. And very ocassionaly a treat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:27 am 
IP:
I got some real good ideas and things to try when I asked this very question.

Only give the command 1 time.You want the dog coming first call,when you say.Not 3rd or 4th,when the dog decides to come on in.

You get the pup out on leed,call to it and it just looks at you...well try running backwards all while clapping or making somekind of comotion so the dog gets excited by you and naturaslly wants to come to you.This worked in my case VERY WELL!

I never let up.I still call HERE! 5 or 6 times just to keep the dog sharp.Make sure you start with distractions also.I started late and it's a pain in the arse!!

Just be consistant and your dog ought to get the idea of what you want from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:20 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks i'll try it out .

Post subject: runaway dog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:26 am 
IP:
ok i had this dog givin to me(can see why) she was found running around.brought her out hunting and think i can get her to tree but she toke off and i spent about a hr trying to catch her.are there any other ways of getting the dog to come back when called other than shock coalers?not against them just dont have the extra money to buy one right now.thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Having a dog come when called is something that has to be learned in the yard before the hunt. You can always tell houndsmen that have a good report with their hound by how it listens and responds to what its told. It takes a lot of time and effort to train any dog. The rope idea is a very good tool as well as the treats and praise. Not a whole lot more I can add to the ideas here already except for that you want the dog trained in basic commands before you turn it loose. This means spending time with the dog at home and putting in more time with your hound at home when first starting out than in the woods. It will pay off big time when you do go to the woods and don't have to spend countless hours chasing poorly trained dogs instead of heading to the next turn out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Having a dog come when called is something that has to be learned in the yard before the hunt. You can always tell houndsmen that have a good report with their hound by how it listens and responds to what its told. It takes a lot of time and effort to train any dog. The rope idea is a very good tool as well as the treats and praise. Not a whole lot more I can add to the ideas here already except for that you want the dog trained in basic commands before you turn it loose. This means spending time with the dog at home and putting in more time with your hound at home when first starting out than in the woods. It will pay off big time when you do go to the woods and don't have to spend countless hours chasing poorly trained dogs instead of heading to the next turn out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:14 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

exactly what LexSCcoonhunter said it needs to be tought at home before they ever start to learn how to hunt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 1 year old walker that has problems with coming back so i used a 50ft leash and worked her on it to the point she came back everytime even without out the leash but as soon as we go down into a crick bottom on a walk she puts her nose to the ground and you cant get her to listen at all. And im not a huge fan of shock collars so should i jus keep workin her on the leash? i even though about using a 100 ft leash and jus let it drag on the ground and follow her through the crick and work her that way. let me know of any thoughts or suggestions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

got an e-collar and now the problem is fixed.....nicked her once on 2 after i yelled come and now she listens even with the collar off but still leave it on her for "insurance" haha. I know some of you dont wanna spend the money or think e-collars are bad but truth be told they work if used right. Now hunting is enjoyable and we go jus bout every other night.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:24 am 
IP:
Just mess with her alot and when your around her make sure you call her name alot so she will get use to her name and use to you! and use the rope deal i use that alot! just let her out everyday and practice calling her in during the daytime! or if worse comes to worse shock collars work lol!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I've just taken in my mothers 2 year old walker and oh my goodness... No recall ability, still acts like a puppy (ie. pees when excited and wiggles uncontrollably when excited), jumps on strangers, but has a good voice on her. Walks fine on a leash, but needs a bit of reminding to fall in line beside me instead of trying to take me for a walk.

She's never been hunted before and I'm really eager to start training her for it but I've got to get her basic's down first. I've never met a dog was harder to recall. I'm not using an electric collar right now but what would yall suggest? I was thinking a long 40-50ft nylon rope to "assist" her in coming when called but I'm thinking she is smart enough to start associating having a rope and having no choice and not having a rope and being free to decide for herself if she wants to come when I start hollering. I've searched this thread and read all the advice I've been able to find. Amazing resource here, but I was hoping I might get some personal insight on my situation specifically. Would it be wise to begin her on drags while on a leash or should I fix her recall first?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next