CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I want my dog to show me where the coon went period! Can a dog get hung in a hole and you not be able to find it ...Yes can the hole callapse ...yes. They are far more dogs killed crossing a road but I have yet to here someone come on here and ask how to break them from running a coon across the road. I am a firm believer that mostr people problems with hole has less to do with safty and more to do with laziness. Coons for the most part perfer to climb ( although I have seen many coon hole) . So most people assume most holes have off game. It is a lot easier just to break them from holes then each off game that holes.
And by the way I'd train mine to coon dogs. you will see alot more coons then with treedogs.

Last edited by Roosterrun on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just bought my very first dog so im new at this but saturday night she holed a coon i dont have a shocker yet how else can i stop her from doing this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:26 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

when you get to her treeing in a hole scold her, turn her loose again adn when she gets on a tree praise her. she will catch on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I dont have a problem w/ my dogs treeing in a hole, as long as theyve got a coon in there. But then again theyve only treed in holes that would have taken them days to dig in far enough to get stuck, as I can usually walk up and grab a tail if I need to. But I also usually carry a small military shovel on my light belt, just in case the situation calls for one. :shock:

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."

"When the going gets tough, the great ones party."

"Who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows the fool."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:39 pm 
IP:
i want my dog to show me the end to every trail, i dont care what or where that is. It better stay at it until i get there. If it has a coon why discourage it. i see a lot of guys that hunt tree climbing dogs, a dog is going to get hurt a heck of alot faster climbing than it is treeing in a hole. Most holes depending on what part of the country you live in are not big enough for hounds to fit in anyway, unless the occassional beaver run. i personally like treeing in a hole once in while but i also hunt terriers as well. Thats just my opinion , everyone has one so take it for what its worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:59 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have had my hound tree on holes. way i see it, it is about the same as a dog getting its head in a den tree. only difference is that den is much safer than a hole in the ground. i dont punish my hound for finishing a track at neither because he was trained to track coon first and finish by finding it. but if is head is in a hole i cant hear him, that is my only problem with it. now i have been working with my hound on this and slowly but so far making progress. i have been trying to teach him that if it is in a hole to stand off of the hole to tree bark instead of diving in head first. like someone said, i nor my hound have any control of where a coons goes. around here there are a lot of coal mines that have been abandoned and the ground has collapsed leaving breaks at the surface that could swallow a dump truck whole. off course most of those entrances are just big enough to get a dog into, and then it would be over for good.

i trust my hound as far as him being straight on coon, but i still want him to prove it night after night no matter what. if my hound started a track but never finished it, how was i to know exactly what he was running? i wouldnt because i would wonder if that coon just flat out smoked my dog, if he just decided to get lazy, or if he was running something he wasnt supposed to. i just want to know where it went. JMO everyone is different and everyone has thier own oppinions on in it. its really all in what suits you and if it pleases you or not.

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

a coondawg should finish the track to the point where the coon takes refuge. wether it be a tree , a hole, a barn ,a silo, an old combine,or a coon in a milk can......................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In our area, most farm fields are tiled. The tiles are usually 9" or so in diameter, not big enough for hound to get in.

Coon use these ALL the time, both as safety exits and for general travel, as there are hundreds of acres of open field with no tree for safety when they are in the middle of it feeding.

Our hounds track to where the coon goes and that is what we want. It is usually a tree, but sometimes tile, barn and one time he treed on a kids playhouse on neighboring farm where a coon climbed up into!

If a hole or tile, I tell the hound 'good job' and then tell him to go find another and off he goes. (Most of our hounds verbally call off trees when we are done and can recast from that spot)

We do have a 'once in a lifetime' hound, who knows that we can't usually GET the coon out of holes (though you can shine in a tile and often see one!), so instead of 'treeing' with hammering chop, he kind of stutter-chops with light bawl, and when you come in to to find him, if you call him out and you haven't looked at the actual hole or tile, he will come back (whining, not barking) and get you, and go back to the tile and back and forth until you look! Then you tell him to go find another and off he runs.

It is one of those cool things a really sharp dog does, who believes he is working as your partner, and wants you to share in every coon he finds, and he finds a LOT.

Barbara and The Symphony of Hounds

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WildHounds wrote:
In our area, most farm fields are tiled. The tiles are usually 9" or so in diameter, not big enough for hound to get in.

We have the same situation in my area and there usually are a lot of coon there especially if the corn is still in and they run the coon towards the road.

We usually run into holes on crick or river banks. My hound gets down in the ditch and then starts choppin in the hole and then you know that she is in a hole.

I don't really care if my dog trees in a hole but I would definitely rather have her get it in the tree rather than in a hole. Overall though it is not a bad thing because like a lot of the other guys have said they are trackin the coon so wherever that coon can find shelter the fastest is where it is going to go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Got this hound a few weeks ago. They said he wouldn't stay treed. The last three nights we've went out, he's treed in a hole. 1st night I watched the coon go in before the dog got there, we were next to a pond & he went into a muskrat hole. The dog treed hard, went in and got him and fought the coon like crazy. Last night I took him out with my kids. Saw a coon on the way home after the dog treed on a opposum, stopped, kicked him loose, he went nuts tracking, 10 minutes or less he had the coon, (I think coon) treed in a hole in the ditch. Trees all over the place. Tonight we turned him out on a river bottom corn field, trees all over the place, not 2 minutes in he struck, took off, treed in a hole. When I got to him, I could hear something, sounded like a coon growling in the hole but never could see him. This dog stays treed hard, have to drag him off, it's not kill season here in Missouri yet so I haven't killed any thing he's treed. I'm new to coon hunting so I guess my question is, does anybody elses dog tree 3 nights in a row in a hole? What's the chances of the coon not going up a tree and running into a hole first? Sounds silly I know. Do you reckon the dog's running them so hard that they just shoot for the hole rather than go up the nearest tree?
Don't laugh too hard when you read my questions! I have to admit, I'm impressed with him so far, he's doing better than they said he was.

Post subject: Re: treeing in a hole
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:06 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

some dogs seem to be more prone to put coon in the ground. and some coon are more prone to go in the ground too. coons adapt to live and take refuge in what suits them in that terrain.
often coon off the road are tile coon,thats why they hang around the roads.they use the tiles as subways.
i have found more coon will hole on the bright moon lit nights too.
some dogs that are not staying on a tree- will stay in the ground.the scent is stronger in the closed in area.
although i dont mind a dog staying at a hole, it would get old night after night. i would find a hunting spot where the coon dont hole as often.
somes woods i have hunted for over 35 years and never put a coon in the ground,other spots i can count on at least one in the ground every time i hunt there.
i have broke some dogs because they would go down inside tiles and holes,they were not content to just bay at the hole and dig a little. they would go dangerously deep and i had to stop them before it got them killed................TC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:58 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

tonylee wrote:
my question is, does anybody elses dog tree 3 nights in a row in a hole? What's the chances of the coon not going up a tree and running into a hole first? Sounds silly I know. Do you reckon the dog's running them so hard that they just shoot for the hole rather than go up the nearest tree?
its not common for a coon to climb the nearest tree when the leaves are off,unless it is hound stupid or its ambushed.
old smart coon will find a hole, or the only tree in the woods that still has leaves on it or a den. thats how they got to be old coon..after the leaves drop,it gets harder to put one up on the outside.thats why alot of dogs that seem to be acurate when the leaves are on, aint so acurate when the trees are bare.more slick trees ,holes and dens.
the change aint in the dog, its the coon.once the trees are bare they will only climb where they dont want to if they have to.(forced to climb)
coon that have been dogged a few times aint stupid. they learn with every chase.coon not only climb trees to get away,they climb to hide in the leaves.when the leaves aint there, they change how and where they go to hide....................TC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a 4 yr old red tick . I just got him . Tho only fault ive found is that the dog will try to bury him seif in a hole.i know i should shock him .but if its a coon will it discourage him from treeing.probably not since he's 4 huh?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:16 pm 
IP:
All you idiots beating or shocking dogs for catching coons in holes should be beaten or shocked yourselves. You're not houndsmen. The dogs should CATCH the critter, period. Do true houndsmen a favor and never sell dogs. Those dogs that quit because the critter went in the ground aren't worth anything. This might be the most ignorant thread on the internet regarding hounds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

any one that thinks a BROKE hound trees in a hole has no right to call them selves a houndsman. stick to point hunts if you dig him out of that circle point hole and get some + points.you must be young and un educated. not intersted in bickering bout this you hunt them your way but personally i like my dog above ground and treein up. you know...a finished hound. i got an army shovel ill sell you if your interested.i dont mean to provoke or offend , every one is intitled to an opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next