CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:53 pm 
IP:
I've become a road-kill warrior, since yeah, I can't shoot a deer for 8 more months.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:37 pm 
IP:
I found that the deer scent worn on the collar all the time did not do anything to stop the deer chasing. I tried both the scent pad and the gland on the collar and it did not even slow him down. Might work with a younger dog, I dont know. As far as the post about the deer gland or scent trail and whipping them on a drag that seems a little better but,,,, my buddy tried that with his dog but then he only stopped when he was within sight of the dog, once the dog got out of his sight it ran deer just as much as before. you have got to break the habit by stopping it while it is happening and every time. Also the dog seems to do better when it doesnt think you are the one that is doing the shocking. That is why I think the wick box method worked so well with my dog. He never associated me with the pain he felt while he was smelling deer scent. All he knew was he smelled deer and then he felt pain. With frequent reminding he started to figure out that 1 + 1 = 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

did you leave the box hooked up.

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:32 pm 
IP:
Im sorry, I dont understand the question. Do you mean all the time? No. Just for about 5 seconds each lesson. I do still have the box hung up in the building just in case I ever need it again to teach another dog or another scent to the dog I already used it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:08 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

no i meant did you have it hooked up all the time (turned on) and have a on-off switch or just plug it in? for the 5 seconds.also do you know if he still practices this method in his newer books? i have the old version and i wanted to know if he still uses this method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:10 am 
IP:
I have the fence charger hooked up all the time to keep my dogs from going over or under my fence. I set up the hot side going into the box with a break in the line at the point where I was operating the whole process. Switch the rags on the clothesline then touch the hot side line to the electric fence wire to make the box hot.
As far as whether MR WICK still uses this or if it is still in the new books, I dont know. I figure as smart as he is, he has probably found some other secret method by now that works quicker and is just as effective and as nice a guy as I have heard him to be, he will probably come out with a way to teach it to us in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i just wonder if he has discovered a different method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:40 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

what do yall think about laying a deer scent trail with artifitial scent then then punishing the dog when he runs the trail? should he be punished as soon as he hits the trail or let him run it for 30 feet? think this would work?
it would be a controlled sitiation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

send the dog to me
thats the best option

http://www.myspace.com/southerncoonhunters
con-noro@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm gonna bump this thread because I want to solve this problem too.

Tonight my dog took off on a red hot deer track and i chased him almost a mile to cut him off.

I caught him still on the trail and whipped him harshly with a switch. I think it might have made a dent in the problem but i would like to cure it for good. I'm going to try the scent gland one the electric fence, i could put one every 20 yards or so and walk down the fence line with him.

Post subject: White tail hounds
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Maybe not the best answer but I do have one option..Send the deer chasin dogs down to me.. Here in Mississippi a good deer dog is hard to find.. Jimmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have had a great time reading the replies to this post! Keep it going!!!
Let's hear about the progess that has been made with some of the deer running hounds on this post!

Kevin Baden
NW Ohio Coyote Hunter
kbaden@rtecexpress.net

Post subject: Re: Deer braking
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ive been readin about puttin your hound in a berral with a dead deer and rollin it down a little hill. im startin 2 have trouble with my hound runnin deers ive lost him twice cuz of it. just wonderin if anyones tried it and if it will work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

east tn redtick wrote:
ive been readin about puttin your hound in a berral with a dead deer and rollin it down a little hill. im startin 2 have trouble with my hound runnin deers ive lost him twice cuz of it. just wonderin if anyones tried it and if it will work.

Any body that tries this will always have dogs that run deer because the dog is not the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:43 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well what is the problem then

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next