BANNED
BANNED

What do you consider close.medium,and long range

example:
close- 100 yards
medium- 500 yards
long- 1000 yards

or wat ever distance you think.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:43 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

In what are you refering...hounds, shooting,etc?

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

any dog i can hear come treed from where i turn it loose, is a close hunter.........if i can pick it up on the tracking box, it is a medium......if i have to drive with the tracking ant out the window , it is a deep long range hunter and where i live if it went that far it is running trash..........TC

Post subject: when
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

when I turn a hound loose I expect to pull it off a tree somewhere. I need a big, wide hunting dog here cause I usaully cant get struck for atleast a 1/4 mile to half.................just to much pressure. with that said, I dont want to see ANY coon sitting up behind the hound on my way to go get them.

Post subject: Re: when
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:50 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

T om Jones wrote:
when I turn a hound loose I expect to pull it off a tree somewhere. I dont want to see ANY coon sitting up behind the hound on my way to go get them.
i knew we would agree on some things sooner or later, there tom :lol: ..............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:13 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Hounds. And the max land i have to hunt right now is about 60 acres so im wondering wat kinda range to look for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i think the message tom and i were trying to get accross is that it don't matter how far or how deep a dog will go to find a coon. if there are coon in the woods you turn him in, he should go as far as he has to. but if the coons are close thats where the dog should be treed. no matter how close or far it hunts it should not blow past any coon. if a dog blows out the back of a 60 acres woods and you see coon in the trees and the dog is blowing past them , he is not hunting the woods like he should.a good hunting dog will tree coon in a 10,20 ,30 40,acre or a 5 mile section.some people like a dog that checks in. mine don't.if you are limited in how much a dog can hunt you may want one that checks in. my dogs will go to the next section or the next county to find a coon. but they have no need to go any farther then the first coon in what ever sized woods i turn them in. ..........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:33 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

range is a matter of opinion,what i call close may be deep for someone else. most people like a medium ranging dog. when you go and try the dog.put him in woods about the size you intend to hunt and see how it ranges, dog traders will tell you the dog is what ever you say you are lookin for. find a honest man and he should be willing to show the dog in the woods. don't buy any dog with out going hunting with it , till you see what you want or don't want.......TC

Post subject: Re: when
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:39 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
T om Jones wrote:
when I turn a hound loose I expect to pull it off a tree somewhere. I dont want to see ANY coon sitting up behind the hound on my way to go get them.
i knew we would agree on some things sooner or later, there tom :lol: ..............TC

I agree with 99% of what you say TC

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
range is a matter of opinion,what i call close may be deep for someone else. most people like a medium ranging dog. when you go and try the dog.put him in woods about the size you intend to hunt and see how it ranges, dog traders will tell you the dog is what ever you say you are lookin for. find a honest man and he should be willing to show the dog in the woods. don't buy any dog with out going hunting with it , till you see what you want or don't want.......TC

Toe cutter I hate agreeing with you LOL!!!
Good points :D :D

This is my mind set
Short range: a hound that dosen't get far out and is withen 50 yards of you until it hits a track.

Medium range: one that goes out and dosn't check in for 20 to 30 minutes.

Long range: just blows and goes and dosen't have a nose or a clue that it just ran over 10 tracks a good hound could of found LOL!!!!!!

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

Post subject: Re: Range
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I like a dog that by MSG's standards would be considered medium, as long as after checking back in it will go on futher till it finds a coon. Now I dont like a straight-line dog that goes in one direction till ie hits a track, I want them to check out an area before going deeper.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:17 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Slough wrote:
I like a dog that by MSG's standards would be considered medium, as long as after checking back in it will go on futher till it finds a coon. Now I dont like a straight-line dog that goes in one direction till ie hits a track, I want them to check out an area before going deeper.

I need to clarify something here some real good houndmen Train there hounds not to come back until they find a trail. It is not my cup of tea. I like a hound that goes deep but if there is nothing to track come back. some don't like that and train it out of them. But on the other hand I have seen too many hounds that blow by a track that can be treed. heck I have seen some that went right by a coon fifty feet away just because when they are cut loose they don't hunt they go in a straight line and it's a race.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i'm not out there to take a dog walkin'. as a kid, i hunted with a neighbor and we were always walkin' his blue gyp till she struck. i just thought that was how it was done. she never struck more than about 70 yds away. that close, you better be in some thick coons or ready for a stroll. on the other hand, a good, hard hunting dog will work out the area he's in and will usually be real easy to hear when he strikes. i like a dog with sense enough to check in after 20-30 minutes because some nights they just aren't moving and i want to go home. a fellow told me one of his hounds would go straight out for a mile, really fast, at every drop and the other dogs would tree behind him. to me that's a bad trait. i prefer a dog that will scout an area from a quarter to half mile and find a coon that's in the same county.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Close for me is 200 yards. Medium is 1000 far is pushing a mile if he goes that far and doesn't tree there is something wrong and I'm starting to light him up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have one of each my male you won't see him till he is treed don't matter how far he has to go most nights his head is up till he winds one the nose down. He don't straight line hunt more of a circle on a garmin. You can tell when he stricks on not by sound but watching him on a garmin. But he don't open on old tracks till he warms then up awhile.
My female 300 yards is about her tops alone she circles me goes out 10 min comes back point and she goes that way. All deepends on how far I wanna walk is what hound I take I guess.