CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:26 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Tom,yeah she has calmed down alot since Ive had her.
And she never acted scared of the other dogs,or anything.
But she just would act like she does with mine.

With mine,she has gone "huntin",opened some on track with them,and she has treed a possum on her own.One I think she may have run across,and chased it up a tree,but she still treed on it.
That was the point of my question.
She didnt do anything at all,at first.
But after a spell,she was used to my dogs,and now she does a little bit with them.
She does the same thing she did at first with other dogs,so I was askin if I took her more if she would pull through with other dogs,like shes done with mine.

Beards...She was with another dog at one time in the pen,but Im not sure how long ago that was.
She doesnt act unsocialized so to speak,just unsure.

I know shes too young to do anything on track,or tree.

Im happy with what she has done for me,thus far.
Im not pushing her into anything more.
She has proved herself far as Im concerned.
Ive noticed she has done best with my english gyp,more so than the walker.
I will take her out with mine for a little longer,and see how that goes.
Last time I had her out was in some timber,so tonight we are hitting a cornfield.

Saint and Ticket

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:03 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

picking a pup with dark eyes,a black roofed mouth and a few black toe nails is old school. years ago when most coon dogs were grade dogs and we had no papers to look at for breeding to help , we would go by these signs. when i was a kid and went to pick out my first walker pup, the old men that had started me in the sport told me what to look for. to this day after i find the breeding i want and picked out the pup that shows me the actions i like, i still look for the dark eyes for brains, the black toe nails for grittiness and the black roofed mouth for tree dog.although i have had good dogs with light eyes , no black toe nails and partial black roofed mouths, i still make my final choice on pups with this in mind.........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

hick, I think you will take care of it the right way. It is very hard to really understand exactly what is going on from a computer. I will just say this and I am sure you know also. Just be carefull what you put her in the woods with, they dont have to be mean, they could be tree jackers or sneaky ya-ya'ers. Just from what I got out of you last post, if she was mine she would be with the english 1/2 the time and herself the other half and not to much of either right away. a good note is, she has opened and has tree'd.

toe cutter, never heard of looking at their toe-nails.............I believe in dark eyes 100 % though, just seem to work better for me. I like the eyes full also with as lil' white showing as possible, spread far/wide apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

by the way, is rock river honey bee from a littermate of tree talkin crocket. or maybe silver dollar cracker on the bottom side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

T om Jones wrote:
if she was mine she would be with the english 1/2 the time and herself the other half and not to much of either right away.

Yep great advice right there.....thats what I'd do too.

How's she do last night?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I just made two quick dumps,and didnt get a bark.She went with Babs for 10 minutes or so,and came back.So we stayed in the road til the other one came back.The plan of attack now,is cut her back on huntin for a bit.I still intend on taking her for evening time romps in the woods here at the house,but Im waiting for a bit never the less.She has learned alot already in a very short amount of time,so Im happy with that.
As for huntin her with what dogs well,...
Im stickin with the english dog to run her with,due to the fact the walker is too fast,and she hunts sorta deep.The english hunts just right for what I like.She dont blow out of the country to get treed,and shes slower than the old walker.Right now I think she wont be ready for awhile to go with just her.And as for any of my buddies dogs,they're competition dogs...granted they are good coondogs dogs and one happens to jump at the tree,dont want her learnin that mess,but she definatly aint ready for that anyway.That to me is almost like a totally different style of huntin,and hound.
She is all that crap ya get with a papered dog,super stakes,performance,breeders somethin,dna profiled,bladda bladda bladda,but that means nothing to me,because I know nothing of what any of that junk means and how it will benefit her or me other than
"well if she makes a dog you can...".
I am not givin a rats ... about any of that,perhaps it is shame on me- but I just want to coon hunt .... Unless Im makin another bad call,if so someone enlighten me that I am.

Anyhow about the toenail thing,Im guilty of lookin for a pup with the same qualities.Granted not all my dogs Ive owned or own now have had strictly black toenails,or black mouths,but its just somethin gramps yammered on about and ya hear somethin enough times when you're a kid well it sticks with ya,yanno.
I dont like light colored eyes,and I like them far apart.
A buddy of mine thinks he likes black and tans BUT hes huntin a son of x-jr. :o ,and he talks about he picks one that has "striped" toenails???? :?
My point is I probably have a weird friend.
I am open to any extra tidbits of info.
Thanks for the tips folks.

Tom I dont know about the honey bee question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

T om Jones wrote:
I believe in dark eyes 100 % though, just seem to work better for me. I like the eyes full also with as lil' white showing as possible, spread far/wide apart.

My grandfather also taught me this, the black eyes, dark roof of mouth, and the toe tails for grittiness. From what I understand. A gritty dog tearin there paws and nails into the ground or tree , will kinda breakup the blood vessels making the nails black. I was taught to also make sure the black nails were short (ground down like) Just to make sure there not black from something else. The more they want something the more rough looking there paws and nails get

However, i'll have to ask him if this goes for a young pup to. I can't see a young pup being that gritty to start with. I'm sure the black nail sign is more aimed tword buying a finished dog or at least an older pup. Kinda a know before you now tell. If your told this dog is GREAT!! with lots of hunt time. And that dog has pretty feet. Walk away

I should have taken his advice when I got Velvet. Her nails were all white and clean. I got a good deal on her with a free full set up for her so I couldn't pass her up. Like Hickish said she will be my last timid dog to, with or without her turning out good.

ATTENTION!! WASHINGTON/OREGON RESIDENTS: Interested in attending Coonhound events in your area? Visit www.wscaonline.com for an event schedule.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:54 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I wouldn't put her in the woods with anything but the slower english or by herself for a long time. Putting her with fast dogs can make her a babler. It may sound like she is running but she may just be bawling becouse she cant keep up or becouse the other dogs are. That is were you will get a me too dog. You can't ell what a dog is doing if you don't hunt it consistantly. Put it in the woods with the same dog so you can tell what it is doing and it can learn what it is doing. Personaly I would hunt it 3 times a weak but it would be on a short chain or small pen all day on the days I was going to take it out.
Hey CA. Preague is close to Shawnee. That is were I was born. I have a lot of familey there. If it is a Jarvis,Montgomery,Hail,Mckilfresh,Hooley and there are more that I can't remember. But there are a lot of them in that area.
Oh one more thing on the dog thing. Some people shy dogs make good hunting dogs. It may learn not to be shy with other dogs but still be an easy handler. You will know in time and that is the only way you will know. A lot of good dogs have been traded away or sold becouse of lack of patience. I have done it myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I WOULD TAKE HER OUT IN THE DAY TIME JUST U AND HER. TAKE HER SOMEWERE THAT'S ISOLATED JUST LIKE U WERE GOING HUNTING. SPEND SOME 1 ON 1 WITH HER MAYBE ALL THE OTHER DOGS ARE TO MUCH FOR RIGHT NOW. I HAD A MALE DOG THAT ACTED VERY TIMID AROUND PEOPLE, BUT IT DIDN'T SLOW HIM DOWN NONE. I THINK THE DOG NEEDS MORE TIME GETTING TO KNOW U FIRST BEFORE U GO INTRODUCING HER TO A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT HOUNDS. HECK I DON'T START MY PUPS UNTIL THERE ATLEAST 7 MTHS OLD SO I THINK SHE SOUNDS LIKE SHE'S DOING WELL FOR HER AGE. AGAIN JUST GIVE HER MORE TIME TO GET MORE USED TO YOU. IF YOU HAVE KIDS SEE HOW SHE ACT'S AROUND THEM, BUT I WOULD KEEP A LEAD ON HER AT FIRST TO SEE HOW SHE ACTED AROUND MY KIDS.
JUST MY OPINION I HOPE IT WILL HELP YOU SOME.
THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm new to the sport, but I feel that I have some points that have not been mentioned. First I have a timid pup that has more grit then my older dog that is very social and unshy. A dogs personality or temperament, is completely unrelated to its ability, imo. To me temperament will have the biggest effect on how you intereact and train a dog. A timid dog will require more socializing, interaction early on, leaving it alone in a pen would be the worst thing for this type of dog. Where an independent dog will require more discipline and a stronger hand. Etc etc. My second point would be to let the dog tell you what it needs. I'm a strong believer in the trainer needs to be learning/observing as much as the pup is. Sounds to me the pup showed you which dog it prefers to hunt with. Sounds to me as much as you have your pup out of its comfort zone, you are out of yours as well. This is good, and im sure you have already grown as a trainer.