It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

oh ya, which river you down by.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I dont claim to every thing about huntin dogs and I'm sure as hell aint gonna tell ya nothin bout a coon dog, cause I dont know, never tryed to make one, but she sounds young, and doin what some young dogs do, I would just give her time, and she's a beautiful dog too by the way :D . looks to me shes built right

Ch Cow Dog Salty Dog's Mack

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

T om Jones wrote:
oh ya, which river you down by.

The Grand River.
About half way from Chouteau and Locust Grove.
Yeah I have planned on slackin off on taking her as much.I was simpy breaking her in so to speak.When I got her she was scared of her own shadow,and I put alot on her plate with short simple training sessions,figuring if shes gonna be scared of everything,she may as well learn not to be scared of anything all at once instead of taking weeks or months to get her over her fear of whatevers around the yard,then spending the next untold amount of time getting her not scared of the woods..Hope that makes sense..She has done everything she has done,on her own in the woods.Ive taught nothing about hunting to speak of.

As scared as she has been there would be no point in petting her up on some tree she had nothing to do with,cuz she would have no idea whats going on anyway,so Ive not done that.

As I said before,never have messed with a timid pup,and what my question was should I just take her with my dogs,or making her more social with other dogs.

But I must have mis-typed something somewhere and was made out as Im pushing too hard,or expecting her to transform into a coondog at 7 months,and know it all,or get over all her timidness overnight.
Im not expecting her to even run or tree to be honest,all I was wanting to know about her doing better with mine,rather than with other dogs.

Saint and Ticket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

CA Hogbender wrote:
I dont claim to every thing about huntin dogs and I'm sure as hell aint gonna tell ya nothin bout a coon dog, cause I dont know, never tryed to make one, but she sounds young, and doin what some young dogs do, I would just give her time, and she's a beautiful dog too by the way :D . looks to me shes built right

Thank you CA.If she sees adulthood in my yard,she'll probably be the best lookin dog Ive fed in awhile.I have a walker gyp that is a good dog,but there is no amount of alcohol in the world that makes her look good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have some family & friends that live in OK, I hunted on the red river there, them are some of the meanest hogs I have ever caught, caught my first and only mule footed hog there to, hauled that SOB all the way back to CA, just to have her die on me a few weeks later, she most have stressed to bad. Were is Preague from you.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:02 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

CA Hogbender wrote:
I have some family & friends that live in OK, I hunted on the red river there, them are some of the meanest hogs I have ever caught, caught my first and only mule footed hog there to, hauled that SOB all the way back to CA, just to have her die on me a few weeks later, she most have stressed to bad. Were is Preague from you.

Figure its about 1 1/2 hour drive from here,to the west.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

T om Jones wrote:
Everyone on comp. a million miles away are experts on training so here is MY EXPERT opinion. Quit hunting the pup so much, especially if it is inconsistent (do you want a inconsistent hound). take it once a week and no more. Only with a hound that is the best you know of or take it alone. If it doesnt go dont start taking it more. you can take her more once she starts going. their is tons of bad advice on here and this thread IMO. NEVER WALK A DOG TO ANOTHER ONE THAT IS ALLREADY TREE"D UNLESS YOU WANT A ME-TWO DOG. NEVER PUT FUR IN A DOGS MOUTH UNLESS THEY TREE ON IT BEFORE YOU GET THEIR AND DO A GOOD ENOUGH JOB OF IT................this is common sence
i read the boys post he was askin bout a 7 month old PUP. i don't use caged coon or scent drags. i take them to the woods. i have walked many PUPS into a dog treed to get them their first taste of a coon. i would'nt walk a DOG into a tree or give it a coon it did not tree on. if your pups are turning out to be me too dogs because a broke dog treed the first few coon your pup had in its mouth,, its probably weak breeding....IMO. :roll:.... ouch...........TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
T om Jones wrote:
Everyone on comp. a million miles away are experts on training so here is MY EXPERT opinion. Quit hunting the pup so much, especially if it is inconsistent (do you want a inconsistent hound). take it once a week and no more. Only with a hound that is the best you know of or take it alone. If it doesnt go dont start taking it more. you can take her more once she starts going. their is tons of bad advice on here and this thread IMO. NEVER WALK A DOG TO ANOTHER ONE THAT IS ALLREADY TREE"D UNLESS YOU WANT A ME-TWO DOG. NEVER PUT FUR IN A DOGS MOUTH UNLESS THEY TREE ON IT BEFORE YOU GET THEIR AND DO A GOOD ENOUGH JOB OF IT................this is common sence
i read the boys post he was askin bout a 7 month old PUP. i don't use caged coon or scent drags. i take them to the woods. i have walked many PUPS into a dog treed to get them their first taste of a coon. i would'nt walk a DOG into a tree or give it a coon it did not tree on. if your pups are turning out to be me too dogs because a broke dog treed the first few coon your pup had in its mouth,, its probably weak breeding....IMO. :roll:.... ouch...........TC

I didnt say a thing about you. dog or pup it dont make a difference, I want mine going hunting and trailing and treeing at the same time. I am not going to walk a dog OR PUPPY into a tree because if you do then obviously it is not ready to go hunting and isnt mentally mature enough to stay with other hounds. my hounds run loose tell I have to pen them up, usaully at about 5 months old. IS that weak enough breeding for you their master trainer. you do it your way, I'll do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

hickish, she is a good lookin gyp. her pic. tells me she will come around by looking at her soft full eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hey Tom if you can tell just by lookin at a dogs eyes whether or not they are going to make a coondog.......how bout you go with me the next time I buy a pup?! I'd sure appreciate it! Or better yet I'll just email ya a pic of each one in the litter and you can let me know which one is gonna be the dawg! It'd save me alot of time and effort and feed on a pup that doesn't have the right eyes :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

This thread went south.
I asked if I should stick with taking her out with my dogs only until she got more used to things,because she has done fairly well with them,or getting her used to other dogs,since she has done less with them.
She has done more than I could expect from her period.
Again,Im NOT expecting her to get over being shy,and I am NOT expecting her to run and/or tree with any dog.
All I wanted to get across is she will do a little something with my dogs.
She first did nothing with mine,but after time,which is the key element,she has progressed.
I assumed that maybe if I took her more with other dogs she would eventually get settled and do the same as if it were my dogs were the ones being cut loose.
Somehow this got turned into people snubbing other peoples methods.
I have my way of workin a pup,some may say its not correct,but its what Im used to,and it has worked on several occasions in the past.
I never use a caged coon,nor do I lay drags.
I like driving section lines,and turn out on coons crossing the road.
I like the feeder system some,but for the most part,I just hunt them.
Guess Ive been all wrong this whole time.
I do "hunt" pups,and will continue to do so.
Again,Im used to pups with grit,and it didnt matter to them what dogs are around,they would go,completly clueless,but would go with anyhow.
This being my first skiddish dog,Im wanting to make sure I give her the best chance to be whatever.
This isnt a training contest,nor is this middle school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i think you will do just fine with your gyp.i did'nt mean to upset mr. jones, i've read some of his posts and was just jerkin his chain, i should have worded it as to not offend him.i should never imply my old school back woods training is the right way or the only way.or that his hounds were not well bred dogs.i forgot most peoples hounds aren't walkers crossed up with shepards and toy poodles like mine..............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:49 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

if you cant look at a animals eyes (like people) and have a hunch whats inside im sorry, never said she would make a coondog. She seems very mellow looking with a KIND eye. I wonder if taking her to some local hunts (not entering) and just walking around with her on a lead and tieing her by other hounds...............just to maybe get her use to it would possibly help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

:lol: LOL :lol:

I, like TC, was just funnin Tom a little bit. It doesn't appear he took my comment seriously.....and thats good, I didn't mean it seriously.

That doesn't mean that I totally agree with everything Tom has said. And that is also a good thing. If people didn't think and do things differently there would never be any improvement in anything. However, his last sugggestion about taking your dog to hunts just to interact, not hunt, but interact with other hounds I think is a great idea.

When your dog was sittin out in that pasture was she out there with other hounds or was she out there alone? Prior to you having her did she ever have any interaction with other dogs?

Since you've had her she's warmed up to your hounds and has started running with em a little bit. As you said thats good improvement. When you took her with your buddies hounds she acted more timid and shy again. I think I got all that straight??

If that is correct, I wouldn't take her with your buddies dogs just yet. The fact that she is warmin up and improving suggests that she's getting more comfortable in her "new" home and is starting to gain and build up confidence in herself, your other hounds, and even you. So long as she continues to improve with you and your hounds.....I'd let her keep improving and not give her anything else to think about, or any new dogs to meet. When she gets to where you are satisfied, or at the very least you think it wont get any better, then I'd take her with the other dogs. This would be a good time, in my opinion, to do what Tom suggested.

Now of course this is all just my opinion and I'm sure there with be those that disapree. As I said before.....thats not a bad thing at all. Someone else's thoughts will certainly help me to improve my methods. I guess I'm more of the school of thought that when training a hound, you give it one lesson at a time and you make it as easy as possible for them to learn that lesson.

Good luck with her in whatever you decide to do and keep us posted on her progress!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I hunted with a year and a half old walker that I was not impressed with, I wouldn't have traded my 8 mos. old grade english pup for him, he was just acting crazy wouldn't hunt, had to walk him..... I guess thats why they call them walkers lol. well the guy told me that he would do this, tear out one night and blow up on a coon, then the next night ##*%* around at your feet. Well that pup turned on about a month later and you couldn't ask for a better dog. Sometimes they just take a while then that switch just flips and they are ready to hunt all night every night!