CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My hound is getting over a snakebite right now. It happened last night while we were coon hunting. i was just wondering if anyone had any advice or good stories about snake bit dogs.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i see you are from texas, what part? i'm down in the houston area. my dog got bit last summer while i was up near sulphur springs. he got popped on his back leg and in his face. face swole up and back foot swole up something huge. give your dog some benadryl(kids or adults). give him two tablespoons worth, he'll start feeling good in about 12hrs.

my boy still has a black mark where the snake bit him and the venom killed some of the skin cells. it took 24hrs for him 12hrs for me to see he was feeling better(actually walking not limbing, wagging his tail, moving around when i wasn't out there) and it took him about 1.5wks to get back to full strength.

oh yeah i gave him two doses. give your dog one dose then 24hrs later give him the second dose. i didn't give anymore after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 pm 
IP:
I know folks who give 1 dose of Dex for swelling and Anti-biotics for a week.1 female they had was bit twice in the head.The fang marks measured an inch apart.She was bred 4 weeks prior and was not givin Dex.She was given Anti-biotics for a week and was back to normal.

You could always call the vet and see what they have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

An old man I hunt with had his dog bit a couple weeks ago,not sure if it was a copperhead,or cottonmouth.
He got tagged on the front foot,and he was back to his old self again in no time.
I was hit with a rattler on the hand,in Oct. last year on a Sunday,but was out of the hospital and back in the woods on Wednesday.Let him get completly healed,because I can tell you its a throbbing soreness.
Kind of annoying really.

Saint and Ticket

Post subject: dogs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:50 am 
IP:
my dog got bit again friday night and im sure it was a cotton mouth, she is acting normal except for the hobble lol she got bit on top of her foot gave her a benedrill and started her on antibiotics she should be ready to go again when the swellin goes down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Whats the apx. dosage for the benadrayl?? I carry .25mg tabs in my backpack, My hounds range between 45lbs to apx 55lbs..I wont hold you to the answer I carried it for a just in case,but have had two really close calls this month, I will call my vet and ask but Im in the middle of shopping for a new one (long story) But Id like to have a rough idea of the dosage Thanks...

Post subject: dog
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:52 am 
IP:
i gave my dog 1- 25mg benedryll saturday morning and another that night and i also started her on amoxicilian 400mg (antibiotics) that day also becouse the spot is gonna rot out and you dont want it to get infected

Post subject: Re: dog
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

delta nightlife wrote:
i gave my dog 1- 25mg benedryll saturday morning and another that night and i also started her on amoxicilian 400mg (antibiotics) that day also becouse the spot is gonna rot out and you dont want it to get infected
Thanks for the info delta nitelife,Now one more query about the Amoxicillan, was that the human grade by an MD prescription? or a vet scrip,or an over the counter for dogs from somewhere like IFA??thanks

Post subject: dog
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:00 am 
IP:
it was a vet scrip. well actually the amoxicillian was for my male dog when he decided he wanted to go fishin he got into my tackle box and got a bass plug stuck in his nose and lip thats wat they gave me for him well he had plenty left over and when bell got bit i called the vet to see if i could just use them on bell for her foot and the vet said that i could so thats wat i gave her the hole is just about closed up now no infection or nothin she is ready for the woods again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks delta,thats the info I was looking for.

Post subject: snake bit
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

what can i do she was bit by a rattle snake tonight will she live,her head is huge

Post subject: Re: snake bit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:24 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

jrhaselden wrote:
what can i do she was bit by a rattle snake tonight will she live,her head is huge

la-200 is what you need but i don't know where to get it in GA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well she is still alive today,thanks for all ur help james

Post subject: Snake bite ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My male dog was bitten about a month ago, the vet pretty much told me he probably would not make it, I have finally gotten most of the swelling out except the spot where it started... He is finally walking on it again, but still limps and holds it up ,, is there any thing else I can do to get him back in the woods faster....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Tennessee Slick

Pr Mountain Top Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

HEY GUYS, I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO SOUND WEIRD, BUT IT WORKS. ALUM-1tsp. BY MOUTH AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I CARRY IT WITH ME DURING WARM WEATHER, MY DOGS HAVE HUNTED THE DAY AFTER BEING BIT. THE SWELLING WILL GO DOWN ANE THE SPOT OF THE BITE WILL HEAL, NOT ROT OUT. THIS REMEDY CAME OUT OF THE MOUNTAINS OF WEST VIRGINIA. I AM 65yrs. OLD AND HAVE USED THIS REMEDY AS LONG I HAVE HAD DOGS. IT WORKS!