CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How do you break a dog from going back to same tree after you lead him off. If i am hunting a area and 4 year old walker dog trees and if its out of season and have to lead him off without shooting the coon out i cannot hunt that area anymore that night even its very big area or he will go back to same tree once we drove 2 mile around to other side of woods down another road and he went through woods and straight back to same tree. I have not tried whipping him yet .

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:02 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You might could try a shock collar. Just give him a little tickle when he goes back to the tree it should'nt take much. If you are a 100% sure he is heading back to the tree he just left then you could shock him while he is running back. Doing that a couple times should break him. Keep us posted and tell us how he is working out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks gillieman05 what part of TN are you in im in Middle TN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:24 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I live in eastern Tn outside of Knoxville.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

go back scold him off it . if he comes back, scold him off it again. walk him farther away from it and turn him forward .you have to remember he is doing it cause he knows he is right, i would guess you have normally shot most all coon he has treed. i would walk him farther away from the tree and i would use a switch and progressivly get a little rougher. but again remember he is doing what he thinks is right. its not his fault. he knows he had the coon and he thinks its you thats not doing your part...... TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:34 am 
IP:
My curdawg was notorius for returning to the tree. Drove me nuts!! Finally started going to the truck for a new drop after every tree. Took a couple of months of this and now don't even have to use a lead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

edited ...............TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:15 pm 
IP:
TC i love you ways of training you just pop out and BAM!! letem know they did wrong.. the old ways are so much better then the 'shock collar'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am 
IP:
After my dog has treed something (haha, which isn't overly frequent) I leash him and lead him a good distance away. Then I point him in another direction and say "go get him!" (that's his start the hunt command). I have to walk him some because once we leave the tree he's so fired up that he'll slick tree any tree in sight. The only time I praised my dog for returning to the tree was when he originally treed the coon just by winding. After a walk aways he hit the actual trail and took it to the tree--that's a real fair reason to go back to the tree and I'd never fault him for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

dogs that are use to having the coon shot out of every tree will do it more often if you just start pullin them off treed coon. that is something that is part of training a dog from the get go .they get used to being pulled and recast. ................TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:14 pm 
IP:
I don't know TC I LOVE Dr. Pepper and I have been drinnking it since I was 12.I drink anywhere from 4-12 a day everyday and I still LOVE it LOL!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:49 pm 
IP:
Seems like some of the better coon dogs I have been around, seem to go through this for a while early on. One thing that has worked for me is keeping the dog on lead until one of the other dogs opens a new track, then holding the dog on lead for a little longer, building his/her drive to get in on the new race. Doesn't seem like it took too many of those to get moving out and hunting again after making the first tree. I also agree with a little correcting at the tree. I DO NOT have much use for a dog who is so sensative it can't take a little correcting at the tree if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Techno wrote:
I don't know TC I LOVE Dr. Pepper and I have been drinnking it since I was 12.I drink anywhere from 4-12 a day everyday and I still LOVE it LOL!!!
now i said some dogs. 4 to 12 dr peppers a day you must stay wound tighter then a banjo string. dr pepper is not the same as it was when i was 12. tell me this chief, what did the numbers 4, 10 and 12 or what ever they were stand for on the original old bottles? :roll: . or are you old enough to have seen them? :P ...........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:27 pm 
IP:
toe cutter wrote:
Techno wrote:
now i said some dogs. 4 to 12 dr peppers a day you must stay wound tighter then a banjo string. dr pepper is not the same as it was when i was 12. tell me this chief, what did the numbers 4, 10 and 12 or what ever they were stand for on the original old bottles? :roll: . or are you old enough to have seen them? :P ...........TC

Are you refering to 10-2-4 ??

Meaning the times were supposed to be drinking a DP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:08 pm 
IP:
MY OPINION IS NEVER SCOLD A DOG FOR WHAT ITS SUPPOSE TO DO. AFTER THE FIRST TIME LEAD HIM FARTHER AWAY, AFTER THE SECOND TIME LEAD HIM TO THE TRUCK AND DRIVE TO ANOTHER DROP.