CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: shock collar crazy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:23 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

why in the world do so many people think a shock collar is the answer for everything.............toe cutter

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:35 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Aint that the truth.I cant imagine how many dogs a shock collar/button pusher has ruined.I wont use one myself,unless its for breaking from deer,and thats only when I dump a dog right on top of a deer.My opinion is if ya go and shock one for treein a grinner,ya might have a dog who will associate a tree with an intesne level of pain.If you go for a diller,if you hunt around any flat prairie,or farmland,a coon WILL go in a hole,and then what ya gonna do,shock him cuz he's in a hole?

Saint and Ticket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have one and I use it for trash period. If my dog starts booger barking and when I get there he has a skunk I shock him. If he`s treed and coyotes come in on him and he leaves the tree to chase them he`ll get shocked. Having said that I only shock him when I know 100% that he`s trashing! I am lucky because I have a winter deer yarding area where we train pups and can usually break them off deer before it becomes a problem with a switch while their young. I`d use a switch on them on skunks too but I prefer to be at a distance :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:34 am 
IP:
I have to agree that in the wrong, or uneducated hands a "shock" collar can have negative results for a dog. Having said that, I can look any person in the eye and state with absolute authority, that in the right hands the e-collar is without question, the single most beneficial training aid that has ever been invented for the proper training of dogs. They are not "new age" or advanced technology by any means. The proper use of an e-collar is NO different than a tug on a leash. The only difference is the e-collar is a 2 mile leash. Saying e-collars are bad is like saying guns are bad. Guns, like e-collars are not bad. It's the person pushing the button that makes all the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:06 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I agree with LCK 100%. I've used the remote trainer as a call back (tone) when the dog is beyond range of my whistle, to teach boundaries of my property, to reinforce commands, break off trash, etc. It does it quick, effectively, and can keep a dog from getting hit on the road or running out of control. I've never given a real hot shock and don't even know if the highest settings work on my unit. I can handle a dog pretty well, but I'll attribute my dogs' abilities to sit, stay, stop, come on command, and generally handle well, to careful use of a shock collar. When some others are chasing their dogs down or driving the roads looking for them, mine are usually sitting with me at the truck. It's all in how you use it. If you're using it a lot, you're not using it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:53 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I agree with your analigy of shock collars and guns. but i'm sure you will agree jerking out your gun is not the answer to every problem. :roll: and i agree with the long leash theory, i've used a shock collar on a low setting for rattle head barking in the dog box while going down the road when the old rope through the vent does'nt work and chase barking.we used to hook up hot shots to collars and then run a pet deer into the barn and shock the dog. but Lck ,you know as well as anyone they are used way to often for simple things that do not reqiure them. i would trust my dog with you and a shock collar or a gun and i know you would use either one the right way and only if needed. and just like guns , some people should not be allowed to have one. i was just trying to get the point accross that a trainer can screw a dog up very fast trying to cure every problem they run accross by shocking it.................TC,,

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:16 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

TC....even for simple things it works excellent. It is one of the many tools that is available for us to use. The brains behind the box is what matters. You just have to know how to use one and know how the dog will respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:46 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

to me hunting a so called "broke"dog with a shock collar is like riding a horse with the halter and the bridal on it. :wink: ..........TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:46 am 
IP:
My friends will use shock collars if the dogs are way to far away and ain't letting us know where they are so they give em' a LITTLE TICKLE!!! cause my friends for some reason don't believe in TRACKING COLLARS!! ya IDK :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:48 am 
IP:
TC - I was reading some of your other posts about your hatred for shock collars and your method for correcting a dog by ''beating the hell out them'' every time they don't hunt how you like will do nothing except make a scared, timid dog. I think your experiences or really lack of experiences came from not knowing your dog. My advise, stop beating your dogs to near death with every off game they tree or their teeth on your hand will feel alot worse than a tick from an e-collar! Or starting hunting Walkers...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:55 am 
IP:
General Kennels wrote:
TC - I was reading some of your other posts about your hatred for shock collars and your method for correcting a dog by ''beating the hell out them'' every time they don't hunt how you like will do nothing except make a scared, timid dog. I think your experiences or really lack of experiences came from not knowing your dog. My advise, stop beating your dogs to near death with every off game they tree or their teeth on your hand will feel alot worse than a tick from an e-collar! Or starting hunting Walkers...........

I have to agree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:13 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Start hunting Walkers? How about this " Start hunting the American Leopard Hound!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That just sounds better doesn't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I talked to a young guy the other day.Hes wanting to get into coonhunting..The first thing he said he needed was a shocking collar..To me thats the very last thing a guy needs... A lot of people like to think of themselves as dog trainers.Most are just lucky and get a few good pups to start with.Then they run into a dog that cant train or figure out..Then they get a shocker and dont know how to really use them... In the wrong hands a shocking collar can ruin a dog....Dogs are smart enough to know whos shocking them if its done right............

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

" beating the hell out of a dog "are your words not mine...... TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:19 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
I talked to a young guy the other day.Hes wanting to get into coonhunting..The first thing he said he needed was a shocking collar..To me thats the very last thing a guy needs... A lot of people like to think of themselves as dog trainers.Most are just lucky and get a few good pups to start with.Then they run into a dog that cant train or figure out..Then they get a shocker and dont know how to really use them... In the wrong hands a shocking collar can ruin a dog....Dogs are smart enough to know whos shocking them if its done right............
i thought that was what i was saying in my topic post, but you worded it much better,thanks..................TC