CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

one of my pups barks non stop when he is in the pen. i have shocked him and it helped for a little bit.do you all think that i should put a no bark on him or what? thanks folks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: need details
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Is it a new pup? How old? Recently weaned or just away from its bros and sis? Is it a neighbor problem or just your sleep and sanity?

If it is a young pup just getting used to being away from its litter it will take a bit and he will bark from the separation. If you have neighbors then work on this from a view to keep them from becoming long term mad at you. If you live a ways from neighbors then stick with the pen otherwise keep this one is a crate in a shed or garage at night and pen when you are home to correct it for barking. Lots of threads on ideas of what to do so do some searching on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My buddy got a new pup a while back...It wouldn't shut up either, so in utter frustraition one night he ran outside and threw it in another kennel run with his 5 yo. male dog, flung it a house in as well...Never made another peep for like a week, then he moved it back into it's run next to the older dog....Said some old man at work told him to try it if he had an older non agressive dog....Worked great...

We raised cotton and corn, a little cane and kids...
You either lived on a farm, or wished you did...
And Jesus always walked close by our sides...
WHERE I GREW UP, WE RODE IN TRUCKS
Luke Bryan- My new favorite song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

he is 11 months old and has been here his whole life just got bad at barking. i can't hear him in the house but it has to drive the other dogs nuts. the pups dad barked like that when i got him but the E treatment set him stright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:13 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

its probably a bad habit at 11 months, if we went a few days without letting my dads dogs off the run they would bark non stop too, no matter what you did, unless you let them off to run around a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:40 am 
IP:
hey man its almost summer,on the net i seen a deal for a kennal,its like a sprinkler,if the dog barks the sprinkler comes on hoses the out law off and promotes well being,before i got a bark collar,at my hose it was the water treatment,if they bark,they get slopped with a bucket of water3 or 4 times and they useualy get the point,but man i spent the $100 on a tritronics bark limiter,best money iever spent,you can turn it down low for young pups,and realy crank it up for older outlaws,its kinda like a pistol in a fight with gangsters,it makes evryone act like citezens right now,save borrow, trade what ever to get one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

he gets let out to run at least 1 hour each day even if we do not take him hunting i have a big pin for the dogs to run in. as soon as he gets to the other dogs he starts barking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:05 pm 
IP:
I've had great luck with my bark collar. Cost me 60ish bucks (could have gotten it better on ebay) and the voltage raises itself until the dog shuts up. It basically takes care of itself, I don't have to set or change voltages or do anything but check the battery every couple weeks. Only time I feel bad about the collar is when I can see my hounds playing outside and they start barking at eachother... then the one with the collar starts yelping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok after tonight i made up my mind i am going to try the no bark. He was out with one of my other pups all day free to run the whole place. I put all the dogs up for the night and maybe 45 min. after that he started barking nonstop at the other dogs no mater what i do. He is great when he is not penned up i hate to put one on him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How old was he and how did this turn out for u?

Sent from my HTC One using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Try the no bark but ya gotta make sure you keep up with it, eventually he'll figure out that if he starts barkin, the collar goes on. You can get the sportdog ones for like $50. I don't regret buyin a couple of em, that's for sure.