CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:41 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chris, is that the one I saw at the ACHA World Hunt?

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 pm 
IP:
nahh its just another mod that I am working on its a cable type antenna just like the ones you are seeing around now. Works pretty good and looks a little better not as stiff as the one that you saw. I am still doing some testing on them. I like the one Redgy has and will be getting some of them in stock I am just tinkering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:37 am 
IP:
I switched to the short antenna and it is working fine. rarely looses signal. Now if I could just get it to quit rotating to the underside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

this is the setup for the astro you need... increased my range on handheld to 2.5 miles and 6 miles on magnetic antenna, and it's much more durable than the vest, stub antennas, or regular antennas... for sixty bucks i feel like it was a good investment, however valley creek has them for only twenty, have one on the way will let you know how it works...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:46 am 
IP:
Gunpowder wrote:
I switched to the short antenna and it is working fine. rarely looses signal. Now if I could just get it to quit rotating to the underside.

I too am very happy with the snub antenna. I have my shocker on the underside of the collar to help with rotation, but the DC 20 is pretty heavy so I have to put that collar on pretty darn snug. Too snug for my taste (and probably my dog's) but I'm able to stop excessive rotation. I've also had to rig them both up while taking the collar's buckle into consideration since for some reason the buckle itself wants to rotate to the underside, even though it probably only weighs an ounce, go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:24 am 
IP:
How do those long antennas (that look like they're real flexible) that people are showing pictures of stand up in the field? My dog goes through a lot of tight brush that would knock it around; do they break when they bend too much or anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:20 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i dont know if there are leaves on in places or not but is that affecting the garmin at all

home of Owens'
PKC CH Woodstock Dot
Funky Freckles (Freck)(the project dog)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

no they don't break they are pretty flexible and are holding up real well, i hunt around alot of fences and the regular and stub antennas didn't last but 4 or five times out if i was lucky... as far as the leafs on the trees i haven't had a problem with reception, but i haven't been in super thick woods lately either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:00 pm 
IP:
The only problem that we are seeing with the green "flex" antenna is that we can't keep them. The folks that have already bought there systems sometime ago is happy to see the retro. The folks that we are selling new ones to are not leaving with out them on the collar. I stock these antenna's and have been working with the guy that makes these to make them even BETTER!!! We are working on some different things that could be a real eye opener for the Garmins down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What type of changes are you having to make to the actual collar itself? What I mean is, if your not happy with the flex antenna can you just swap back over to the stock one, maybe have the stock antenna on hand for a back up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:45 pm 
IP:
Yep!! The antenna has a fitting similar to what is in the stock antenna's and it just screws on and a few zip ties to hold the antenna and your off!!

Not knocking the setup from AmeriPet but are they stilling having trouble getting the set up. Also I just can't for the life of me see where facing that collar out like that has any benifit. JMAO Buckshot will tell you if he looks close he's seen that antenna setup before its just pulled longer. Hey if it works use it cause we all know the factory setup needs a little tuning.

The ones have are great and inexpensive and I just like the looks of them after I get through with the mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:05 am 
IP:
Another score for the Garmin! Through a series of most unpleasant events I lost my shotgun, lost my Tri-tronics hand unit and lost my spot-light in the woods last night (by that point I'd been wishing I'd lost my dog too... :wink: ). Couldn't find them again last night since it was below freezing and I was soaking wet, so today I can go back into the woods in the light and follow my tracks that are recorded on the GPS unit and find at least the gun and shocker. Lotta money sitting on the river bank out there! Spotlight is gone for good, but that's a lot easier to replace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:14 am 
IP:
well folks I went ahead and got the Garmin astro with the 19" extended antena. Great Did have a few questions seemed to ging around when he shook his neck,he was wet,should I just tighen it up more or is there a trick.
And of all things a puppy decided to test it last night. Well all I can say is that if this thing performs like it did last night in the heavy cover,it can not be beat. Was hunting in a new spot with a friend and the pup went the other direction from his dog. he went to get his nicely treed dog and I hit the truck button and it took me right to my truck,hit the dog button and seen that the pup was lost about 1/2 mile away running back and forth.
Took the truck to where it read him to be the closest got to the edge of the field showed him a few hundred yrds away and started calling and he came right in and it showed him coming right in.
I know stupid dog but great tracker.
Now on the other hand the new shocker sportdog 3200 wasn't performing like I had hoped,fully charged and all just would shock and then would not shock,could it be the brand new 9v they gave us. Now this was on 2 brand new units same thing..
Would the garmin have something to do with this,friend has a wildlife tracker???
Anyone have anything like this,I will call customer service and see if we'er doing somthing wrong but not as I can see.

Bottom line get the garmin,we got ours off of Dunns Creek in Fl.
Give them a call great customer service and a real good price and deal.

Thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well i have to say last night i was very disappointed in the astro's performance, we hunted some ultra thick bottoms and lost communication for long periods of time, after the dogs were treed it would pick em up on and off..... and the sad part is they only treed 600yds away. very,very disappointed... looks like the tracker will be around my dogs neck during the summer months, the problem seems to be with the dog unit not being able to communicate with the handheld due to more dense cover, after we leashed the dogs and headed out we are still able to follow our tracks out perfect with no problems with gps reception on the handheld or the dog unit, i have done nothing but talk the system up so far and really didn't want to make such a negative comment, however i felt the flaws needed to be discussed and if you are having similar experiences please tell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:38 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it makes you feel any better, I lose signal in thick covering on both my satellite radio and Garmin truck GPS.

From the different ranges I have been reading on all the different forums, I do not think all Astro Units are created equal.

Guys in the TN mountains getting up to 8 miles with the roof mountain antenna when a guy down in FL where he has no mountains is only getting half of that range at 4 miles.

Your talking about losing signal at 600 yards where others are getting 1.5 miles.

I have seen those say they are lucky to even get 1 mile.

It will be interesting this summer to see the feedback range now that more people have the system and leaves will be on the tree.

I would like to see a site where people list their average range as well the hutning terrain they hunt.

My first example above shows a huge difference in range and you'd think the guy in FL without any mountains would have the range the guys in the mountains of TN are getting and vice versus.

Profile  WWW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next