CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: treeing in a hole
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:23 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I went huntin the other night and my dogs treed in a hole and i was talking to a guy and he said that wasnt good is that right?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:52 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have heard of a coon going into the ground but I dont want my dog going in or barking at it. My CH female is a notorious armadillo chaser and I almost have her broke from it. Going into a hole after game is dangerous for a dog. It could get its collar caught and be stuck and you couldnt hear it barking. It could also catch what its chasing and have no room to fight underground and get torn to pieces. I want my dogs to be tree minded. As pups I'm not strict on what they put in a tree as long as they are treeing, but I only ever praise them for a coon. If its a posseum I merely lead them away, and if it becomes a problem as they get older then they can be broke just like breaking them from any off game. When my pup would put somthing in the ground they would get a stern "no" and a pop with the lead and we would move on. I do always check the hole though to see what is in it before I do this. If it is a coon I merely lead them away and say nothing. If it's an armadillo I put a shock collar on them stand back and let them get down in the hole and burn them back out. It's what I had to do with Moko.

RBIMBS CCH CH PR' Warrior River Medusa
CCH GRCH AKC CCH PR' Kayla's Lil Bit of Honey
UWP CCH GRCH PR' Warrior River Karma N Effect
UWP CH Warrior River's Gap Creek Piper
CH Cross Check's Warrior River Rimfire

~Gone But Always In My Heart~
CH AKC CCH PR' Kayla's Copperhead Baby Boy
GRCH PR' K&Z's She's Krazy Hammered
SHR CH North River Big Jake, JH
http://www.warriorriverkennels.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Just let the dog know you aren't happy AT ALL!!!!

they will quit on there own after they notice you are anal everytime you get to a hole... :wink:

We raised cotton and corn, a little cane and kids...
You either lived on a farm, or wished you did...
And Jesus always walked close by our sides...
WHERE I GREW UP, WE RODE IN TRUCKS
Luke Bryan- My new favorite song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

holes are a common problem here in PA...alot of groundhog holes for the coons to run into...

my old hound was notorious for holes...they are a danger to the hounds for sure...once we almost lost him in a GIANT brush pile...took us a while to figure out thats where he was...tracker had trouble pinpointing him...could barely hear him when we found him and he blew out of the hollow we were in...really got luck we heard him when we tried following the tracker...

another time he ran one in a sewer pipe...it was like 2ft diameter...couldnt hear him...tracker gave us the direction but barely...dad got smart and heard him through the pipe...the pipe went from 1 ft to the bigger 2ft and he was stuck there. he was a stay put dog and wouldnt leave till you found him or he died there no joke...dad knew a guy with a escavator and dug up the ground...lucky enough there was a cap there...dad popped off the cap, grabbed the dog and filled in the hole...

buddys hound i hunt with now is about broke off of holes...75% of the time he will run the track, hit the hole and leave and back track and find something else...if he hunted hard and knows nothing else is in the area he might stay...and i had him stay at a night hunt because another dog stayed. he knows he aint supposed to be at a hole and his body language tells me that he knows better...not sure if my buddy shocked him off holes or just told him NO! or what...hard to break a dog for chasing game they are supposed to chase...

but its a good idea to try something to let them know they arent supposed to do that...my dog was too old and hard headed to get the idea...took 4 different skunk blasts in the face before he learned not to chase them...he broke himself from them..last time he got a little sick lol...he was a decint dog, but if he ran into a skunk he chased them just to chase them i think...and he used to chase cats just to chase them...he was a kill dog and fast...i think thats why he liked to chase stuff...he caught more coon on the ground than any other dog i hunted behind...good thing he wasnt a competition dog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I know that my neither I nor my hound has any control over where a coon goes, but they now understand that if it goes in a hole then they go on about their business. I would rather them pass up one in a hole coon than get caught underground and die from starvation because I cant find them. But thats just me. They have caught coons on the ground and fought them and that's just fine but I better not catch them with their heads in a hole digging, and they are smart enough to know that.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

okiesawyers wrote:
. But 9 out of 10 dogs is going to get mixed messages, and get confused and might be scared of running the prefered game all together!

I know a ton of dogs that are hole broke...And a couple are night champs, and one is close to grand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My hounds are doing great, I hope you always have good luck finding yours when they are several feet down in the ground... thats a bad way to go.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:31 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

If your dog has any brains he will quickly figure out that everytime he pokes his head in that hole he's gonna get some juice and he needs to go find another one FAST.

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:37 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Another thing to prove holes are no good AT ALL.

If you're a hide hunter/pleasure hunter:
You aren't gettin any skins unless you brought your shovel.
You can have fun looking for your dog when he's buried 8ft underground.

If you're a competitive hunter:
I want plus strike points AND plus tree points if I'm wasting my time treeing in a hole and you rarely ever see the coon in a hole...
The worst thing to have happen to a cast is lose a dog bc it's 8ft underground!

Bottom line is the only thing that can result from holes that could be considered good is YOUR dog "finished that track" that killed him to brag about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:47 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

normally in new york porkypines go into holes and logs but if it was cold enough a coon could go in for the warmth

home of Owens'
PKC CH Woodstock Dot
Funky Freckles (Freck)(the project dog)

Post subject: Re: holes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:12 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

okiesawyers wrote:
I guess we're talking about different size holes. I'm talking about a hole where your dogs butt is sticking out of it. It sounds like yall are talking about caves!! I'm not to familiar with an 8-ft hole around here nor 6-5 ft. I never had any dogs get in a hole of that size.. All my hole treeing I can walk up and grab my dogs tail and pull her out, and tie her up and see the coon in the hole!!

You never had a dog in a drainage pipe under a roadway? ...many holes may start out as a ground hog hole etc... and by the time your dog is done digging before you get to him, he is 8ft underground...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:25 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

evidently there are different views of hole treeing. i would say if you are a night hunter then discipline your dogs for hole treeing. but if you are a pleasure hunter i would let your dog tree holes. myself i am a pleasure hunter and i dont care if my dogs hole tree. but thats just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:57 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

my dog Ol' DUKE has only treed in a hole one time and the man who traned him let him no it was wrong. he layed the braclet to him.
He ant treed in a hole on me yet. hope he dont. 8) :D :)

'PR' ROCKEY RIVER DUKE (WALKER)
__________PRESENT_________________
'PR' ROCKEY RIVER KATIE (WALKER)
'PR' ROCKEY RIVER BLACK JACK ATK (WALKER)
'PR' STACK'EM UP JILL (REDTICK)
LIFE TIME MEMBER OF THE FFA

Post subject: holes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had a friend that let the dog put its head in the hole and then pressed his foot on the dogs back and stood there for about five minutes, then led the dog off and circled the dog back and when he put his head in it again he did the same thing. It didnt do it a third time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i train my dogs to be TREE dogs ( barking UP ) at coon anything else or barking down ( in a hole) they got a beatin comin . they are smart enough to learn