CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: leash trainin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i need tips on trainin my dog to do good on a leash like not pullin comin out of the woods or to jump up on the tailgate. any tips on helpin the train go faster or easier. thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:23 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is part of the training that should be done BEFORE you start hunting a dog.

I leash train all my dogs on one of those retractable leads.......It gives them room to think they are in control.........especially those that have issues the first time they are put on a lead and start acting like a fish out of water flopping around. THen you have some that have real serious issues the first time on a lead.

I have a 75 foot dog line that dogs that have real issues with a lead for the first time that I put them on to get it out of their system..........Once they wear themselves out realizing it's a non winning situation....Then I put them on the retractable lead.

With the retractable lead, I am able to control how long the lead line is. It only take a few days to get my dogs lead broke.

I also move them around through trees and other things such as logs to get them use to what they will experience.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:29 pm 
IP:
I've never had a retractable lead, but I've got some leash-trained dogs so there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.
I start around town where things are quiet, use a choker, and have it up high around the base of their head (most sensitive spot). Every time they tug they get a quick jerk and "heel!" When they've caught the drift I add distractions, barking dogs, etc. When we moved into the woods I had to enforce commands again, and once in a blue moon I've shocked my dog for pulling. He's only shocked because he knows how what is expected of him. Having a dog pull you in the woods sucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

man...my dog was getting out of the pen (digging,jumping,ect) so i tied her in the pen and you would believe how that has affected her leash training!!! She pulls a little bit, but she has learned how to manipulate that leash the best ive ever seen. shes not even 2 yo. i wont ever not tie one up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use a choker,,but as the above stated post says,,saying heel when you enforce correction is totaly wrong,,john wick also says do it this way,,but i'm telling you it is wrong.
Start off with dog by side give command,heel and start walking when the dog gets ahead of you ,use the choker with a quick jerk and say NO then imiedataly say, Good Dog,reason ,no stops bad behavior,and since they quit doing the bad behavior praise ,good dog,,then evry command you teach your dog ,when you use the choker,,whether its sit, come or stay ,you use the word No when you enforce the choker.
I call this putting a No in them,,after 3 weeks of this obediance training,,they will Know what the word No means,Meaning stop what your doing,,and it will go a long ways in other training down the road.

Post subject: Re: leash trainin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:08 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

me and my buddies have always done it the way our grandparents taught us. when they start pulling you when you are not in the woods you pull the lead hard and if you throw them for a flip you have done it right after about a week of training them that way they will never do it again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

you need to teather a dog out for awhile after this you take a lead and a choker put on the dog high on the neck put the dog to your left side and start to walk if he tries to go behind you give him a quick shot with your right heel keep walking tell him heel if he keeps going just turn and walk the other way thats enough pressure to get the point across to him he will catch up to you do not say heel again until he does than praise him after a couple of times within 5 minutes you will notice your hound paying attention to you as you walk you can turn left or right but i would start every turn to the right just get him on it right.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:36 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

kycooner1 wrote:
I use a choker,,but as the above stated post says,,saying heel when you enforce correction is totaly wrong,,john wick also says do it this way,,but i'm telling you it is wrong.
Start off with dog by side give command,heel and start walking when the dog gets ahead of you ,use the choker with a quick jerk and say NO then imiedataly say, Good Dog,reason ,no stops bad behavior,and since they quit doing the bad behavior praise ,good dog,,then evry command you teach your dog ,when you use the choker,,whether its sit, come or stay ,you use the word No when you enforce the choker.
I call this putting a No in them,,after 3 weeks of this obediance training,,they will Know what the word No means,Meaning stop what your doing,,and it will go a long ways in other training down the road.

No is used when you never want to see an action again. There for you wouldn't want to use it in this case. You recommand the heal. BUT to start out you don't use any command. You just want to teach the dog he has to go were you do. Get in a place were there are 3 trees or somthing about 50 ft. apart in a triangle or 4 in a square. Use a choke chain and a15' leash. Don't say a word just walk to one of the trees. No matter what the pup does just walk(even if you are draging it up side down). Then stop when you get to the next tree and wait about a minute to let him think and go to the next tree. Two days and he will be watching you to see were you are and if you are leaveing. The rest of the weak try to catch him not looking and trot off. He will learn to watch you.
At the end of that weak do it on a 8' leash. You will find that you have his attention. After that weak on the 8'. Then bring him to your left side and tell him heal. If he gets out in front of you turn to the right and trot off. He will learn that the only way he can avoid you troting off and him getting a jerk when you do it is to stay back were he can see you. After he learns that but still is a little to far ahead. You start makeing left turns and bumping your knee into his head. Before long he is down there were you want him and watching your every move.
Then walk him close to a pole and teach him he has to drop behind you instead of going on the other side of the pole. You do that by letting him go on the wrong side and standing with his head up next to that pole chokeing a little till he figures out witch side he needs to be on. It don't take many. On a soft dog you can modify a little and use treats. OK that is for a pup that nows nothing.
SPEED TRAINING a dog that just pulls.
Put him in a choker (is best) collar will work. Bring him to your side. Tell him heal drop the slack in the leash. When he takes off turn and walk the other way and give a good jerk just about the time he hits the end of the leash. He will start your way and go right past. Do the same thing. A few minutes of this and he will see things your way. From then on never hold a tight lead. Give him slack and if he gets close to the end of it yank. This only takes a few minutes. :D

Now On the dog that pulls like last one above. The easiest and fastest way. You put a e-collar on him and his regular collar. Hook a leash to his regular collar. Tell him heal. Give him slack and as soon as he gets ahead or behind you start a nick to the rhythm of your heart. Just enough electric to make his neck flinch a little. Keep repeating the work heal over and over. When he gets in to the sweet spot were you want him to stay. Stop the nick and tell him good. You may have to use just a short part of your lead so you can pull him back into the sweet spot to show him were it is for a while. BUT in minutes you can have him staying in heal possition and with very little work or discomfort to him you can have him do it off lead.

You can teach him to load the same way. The sweet spot is the box or tail gate. A tree climber the sweet spot is with the back feet ong the ground.
Now if they know were the sweet spot is and how to get away from the nick. Then they may get stuburn every now and then. At that point you can pop them hotter. BUT turn it back down and keep the less nick going till they comply. They can't think while scared or hurting. You may have to go back and help them find the sweet spot. If they look confused THEY ARE help them. Just don't stop the nick. You can turn it to were they can't hardley feel it but to make them die hard obeident don't stop till they comply with the command.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST ALWAYS TELL THEM GOOD AS SOON AS THEY COMPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have used this on about every breed you can imagine with success.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would say Dawg has it nailed down!!!! I would fallow his reply to the letter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:58 pm 
IP:
When the dog is leashed then it pulls you sort of whap them on the back. It took my old stubborn dog about 2 weeks of hunting 3-4 times a week to fix him of that.-Old timer taught me that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

one of the ways i learned if they are pulling you every where keep the leash snaped on the collar run it down the back and wrap it around behind the ribs and go back thew the leash when they pull it gets tighter ,there hind end comes up and dont have any pulling power and a male dog realy dont like it with his junk tied up and all. i also have tied them up to a tree limb about 5-7 foot one what you can swing from got alot of wip to it with a 8-10 foot cain and worked pretty good they will tug on it and it will tug back this might help but you sill got to give verbal comands and work with him

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:50 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

blackntan101 wrote:
one of the ways i learned if they are pulling you every where keep the leash snaped on the collar run it down the back and wrap it around behind the ribs and go back thew the leash when they pull it gets tighter ,there hind end comes up and dont have any pulling power and a male dog realy dont like it with his junk tied up and all. i also have tied them up to a tree limb about 5-7 foot one what you can swing from got alot of wip to it with a 8-10 foot cain and worked pretty good they will tug on it and it will tug back this might help but you sill got to give verbal comands and work with him

If you peirce there nose and put a ring threw it they wont pull either. You can lead a bull like that but they don't ever learn to walk beside you.
If you simpley give them slack and when they get ahead of you. You kerk them back into possition. The only way to know how much slack is in that leash is for them to watch you. Witch makes them pay attention to YOU.
The tree linb thing will teach them not to run and hit the end becouse it will yank them back. BUT it will teach them the harder they pull the further they can get. THUS teaching them to pull harder. That is why I put a spring on the chain when teaching agitation or bite work. They learn to pull like heck to get a bite and it takes the jerk out of the chain. They get good at it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:36 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I will tell you what and I am not pulling your leg. That Boomer dog I got he was born knowing how to come and already broke. I never taight him once to come ever and never once tought him to lead. He just does it and does it very well. He is the first dog I have ever had that required little if any training. Oh I have had the dogs that do not come and do not lead well and man can they test your patience enough to make you just throw in the towel. But when you get a dog like Boomer it will turn everything around.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The best way to break a dog is with a simple choke chain and your dog lead.You just put the choker chain collar on your dog.SO the chain makes a nosie when pulled.You let it hang loose.When you snap the lead real quick it scares the dog and it might hurt just a little.It scares them more than anything.You try walking the dog.If they pull you just snap the lead and close it quick around the dogs neck.It gets there attention real quick ((((if done right)).You try walking them in a strait line first.Correcting the dog when needed.Soon even with the worst dogs. You can walk the dog pretty good within a 1/2 hour or so.Then you start changing directions like left or right OR back the way you came.Snaping the chain when needed.This works.....I keep a choker chain collar in my hunting coat....Even the best dogs will act up from time to time....LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:40 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I do not use choke chains. I use a prong collar if I need to.