CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:55 am 
IP:
WELL IT IS TIME! Stinger is now one year old. She has had about as much socialization and exposure to all of the trappings surrounding hunting as any young dog can possibly get. She has been hauled with numerous dogs of all breeds and types. She has been handled in the field sense she was but a puppy. She has been introduced to coon. She will open on a good track, run it and tree by herself and with company. Her actual hunting has been limited to very short outings only lasting at the most two hours in area's that have a lot of coon maybe three times a month. She has been corrected from showing interest in off game. She will find her own way through fences, creeks and difficult obstacles. She will check in and come when called. She is properly conditioned to the e-collar and looks forward to being collard up. She will stand patiently in the dog box awaiting her turn to be dropped out. She is conditioned to the gun and has learned that if the gunshots happen good things follow. She heels on lead and loads without issue. All of these things she learned one step at a time instead of just throwing her out there and crossing fingers hoping it all just kind of takes hold. All of the things involved with a normal day/night in the field have been introduced to her in a planned out, patient and methodical way. If she exhibited any confusion or problems it was very easy to figure out the cause and work on it. This little dog has only seen one caged coon and has never done a drag. She has never been allowed to sight bark at anything with the exception of the one caged coon and that was only for about 30 seconds and then she was pulled off and the coon was released for her to track. She found it and treed it for about 15 seconds and was then pulled off and put up for three days. Every other exposure to coon that she has had has been wild coon in their natural environement. She has gone with a pup trainer a few times and has gone on her own a few times. She has hunted with strange dogs, rough dogs and trashy dogs. She has shown she can handle hard corrections without shutting down. She can also bounce back and seems to be "forgiving" of handler mistakes. She has been hunted just enough to ensure she knows what it is we are after. It is now time for her to go hunting. Stinger will be hunted and hunted hard for the next several months. She is one year old now. I firmly believe that she is mentally and physically mature enough to handle the pressure of whatever it is we encounter along the way.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

congrats lck! sounds like this little hound is turning out pretty good. Will u be hunting her in comp any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:57 am 
IP:
EastTexasBoy wrote:
congrats lck! sounds like this little hound is turning out pretty good. Will u be hunting her in comp any?

Alone some and in company some. Tonight she is going out with a couple of two year olds who do a pretty good job. It is really all up to her now. It has been difficult holding her back these past few months. I am pretty excited to finally get to the point where I can indulge in hunting her a bunch. Now we can see what issues come up and work with them. Hopefully there won't be many, but you never know til you get out there and see. I am looking forward to getting back in the coon woods hot and heavy. We will be doing a bunch of it til Bobcat season opens in November. By then we should know just what kind of hound she is going to make. I got a new camera and am hoping to get some good pics to go along with the hunts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:47 pm 
IP:
hows your dog coming along?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:32 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I'm sure you've been asked this a million times LCK but I'll ask again for myself. Do you accept any pups for coon training? I know by reading this article I've learned a vast amount about how to build a dog's character and foundation alone. One of the last things I ever wanna do is take a dog into the woods that has little to no respect for the handler. I did that a little lastnight and it made for a very long walk and a few curse words lol.

Chetek Bulldogs- Playoffs Level 4

Calkins- #11 on Coondawgs post list.

Home of:
Calkins' Northern White Raider

Signature Edit by Admin and Reason Account is Now Banned.

A dog is only as good as the man's word that's selling it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:58 am 
IP:
It depends on how much room I have at the time.

Post subject: DOG'S
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'AM A TRAINER IN EAST TENN IF THESE DOG'S HAVE BEEN TOGEATHER SEANCE THEY WERE PUPS IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO HUNT THEM BY THERE SELF'S AND WITH THEM SNAPPING IN THE BOX JUST MAKE SURE IT'S YOUR DOG DOING IT AND IF IT IS WHEN HE DOSE IT IF YOU GET HIM OUT RIGHT THEN AND BUST HIS BUTT AND PUT HIM RIGHT BACK IN WITH THE SAME DOG HE DID THAT TO THEN HE SHOULD GET THE PIC AND STOP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:28 pm 
IP:
A little update on Stinger. She has been earning her food this last several weeks for sure. Stinger is becoming a nice little tree dog that handles well and is getting pretty serious about running coon. I think at this point in her training all that is left is woods time, woods time and more woods time. I do not consider her finished as she is still progressing every time out. She gets a little lost on some of the more difficult tracks and is still working on locating and staying treed. These things can only come with time and patience. She is hunting about 2 nights by herself and 2 nights with other dogs. She is having a few days off as she caught a coon on the ground the other night and ended up getting a pretty good infection as a result. Once that is cleard up, she will be back at it and hopefully learning more and more as she goes. If all goes well I suspect she will have "graduated" from this project and will be added into the pack as a contributing member come December or thereabouts. I will do a re cap of her training at that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:15 am 
IP:
Well folks this has been a fun deal. I have enjoyed sharing some of my training and handling philosophy's with others. Stinger has done a pretty good job throughout this project and is doing a great job in the game catching department. Some of the ideas I hoped to convey were these.

Start with proven breeding.
Be patient, meaning there are many things the dog needs to be exposed to before being exposed to game.
Don't be afraid to start over. We ended up going through two other young dogs before we got to the end result with Stinger. Remember Smoke and Clyde?
Doing drags and hang ups are not needed.
Having a plan for the dog EVERY time you go out with it is a must.
Putting the dog up for a few days or even a week after every good outing is the key.
The raising and training of a hunting hound is really not as tough as many would make us think. The difficult part is having patience and having a plan.
I hope that forum readers have found some of this helpfull.
Stinger is now living in Colorado where she will be very well cared for and hunted and hunted and hunted for many many many years.

Thanks for reading and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It has been great reading and learning LCK thanks again.I am into the 8 month with my pup(Shadow)it's hard not to overwhelm him with going to fast but all will come with time.

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK -- Thanks for taking the time to post your training program. For new trainers like myself it has helped alot and it makes for a good read to see how your dog progressed over time.

Thanks again,
Train

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:19 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

THANKS FOR SHARING

IT TOOK ME ALITTLE BIT TO CATCH UP WITH READING BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE SHE TURNED OUT JUST FINE
GOOD JOB

MEL MALONE
TO HECK WITH SAVING SOME FOR SEED...THATS MOTHER NATURES JOB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:11 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Sounds like a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That sounds like a good idea.Just post the progress and let everyone know how thier training is going and what methods you used to train them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK,
I may have missed it but i have a ?....Why do you pull the dog off when he/she is at her peak of aciment and then put up for a few days?

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next