CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:43 pm 
IP:
houndcrazy wrote:
I wanted to thank LCK for this thread. I have learned a lot reading it so far and look forward to learning much more as this thread continues!

Thanks LCK!

Thanks for sayin thanks! :D It has been our intention to demonstrate a more conservative and less risky way to build a solid young hound who with proper handling and thought will give MANY years of enjoyment and service. I am glad it is helping.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: LCK training project
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK how about a little report on your dog

Post subject: Re: LCK training project
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:43 am 
IP:
country boy wrote:
LCK how about a little report on your dog

Well, she is still growing up and trying hard to be a big dog LOL. Summer training season for bear starts here tommorow so I will be pretty busy with that and she will be on hold for the next few weeks.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

hey LCK i just read all the threads and man was i amazed ive got a 13 week old walker and i plan on taking him thru all the steps youve just mentioned. One thing i was wondering was if u could make out a thing like from 1 month old to when ever you stopped of what u did during that month of the puppys life i think that would be very helpful!

http://myspace.com/dhsathlete7

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa92 ... than-4.jpg[/img]
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa92 ... than-1.jpg

My blue and red dog and christians english treeing!
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa92 ... than-6.flv

Post subject: Re: hey
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:19 pm 
IP:
Nate7 wrote:
hey LCK i just read all the threads and man was i amazed ive got a 13 week old walker and i plan on taking him thru all the steps youve just mentioned. One thing i was wondering was if u could make out a thing like from 1 month old to when ever you stopped of what u did during that month of the puppys life i think that would be very helpful!

I will work on that Nate. It is pretty simple really. When they are puppy's I let em just be puppy's. I let em rip and tear and roam and play to their little hearts content. I make sure they are around a lot of other dogs and people and are comfortable going for walks. This builds confidence. Confidence translates into boldness in the woods and gives them the ability to handle pressure when training.

Post subject: hey!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ive been doing that everyday jus lettim him out and let him play! another question do u play with ur older dogs or even pet em or wat?

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK,
I would really like to thank you for taking the time to do this,as someone that is just looking at getting into this type of hunting I found it VERY educational. I have quite a few friends that are houndsman and I have thought several times about getting into this type of hunting,the thing that has always kept me from jumping in and getting a dog is that I HATE a dog that doesn't handle good...and have been told by friends that I wouldn't "like" hounds then. After reading this thread I am wondering if all of this BS I've been hearing is not due to poor training more then anything else??

I would also like to know what your opinion of the Leopard Cur is? Do you have any personal experience training curs? If so what are the major differences between them and hounds?

Thanks for your time,

Catchdog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:19 am 
IP:
I would agree with the statement that a poor handling hound is do to poor training and not the dogs capability. If I have a dog that won't listen its going down the road. If I have a dog from a puppy its going to listen.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:44 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hows stinger doing?

Post subject: Re: hey!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 pm 
IP:
Nate7 wrote:
ive been doing that everyday jus lettim him out and let him play! another question do u play with ur older dogs or even pet em or wat?

Every day. Without exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:25 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

hows the puppy doin?

Post subject: Re: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:27 pm 
IP:
Catchdog wrote:
LCK,
I would really like to thank you for taking the time to do this,as someone that is just looking at getting into this type of hunting I found it VERY educational. I have quite a few friends that are houndsman and I have thought several times about getting into this type of hunting,the thing that has always kept me from jumping in and getting a dog is that I HATE a dog that doesn't handle good...and have been told by friends that I wouldn't "like" hounds then. After reading this thread I am wondering if all of this BS I've been hearing is not due to poor training more then anything else??

I would also like to know what your opinion of the Leopard Cur is? Do you have any personal experience training curs? If so what are the major differences between them and hounds?

Thanks for your time,

Catchdog

Teach them to handle young and enjoy them for life! I have one Leopard Cur. I absolutely love the dog. Handles like a Corvette and is fast and gritty as all get out. I am very certain to have more in the near future. Very easy to train and when they turn on they are all on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:32 pm 
IP:
Stinger is really starting to grow up. Her stamina and persistance is starting to show now. She is not botherd by all of the "confusion" surrounded by hunting and is able to just focus on hunting. She has been slumming around with the bear dogs this Summer and it seems like she is enjoyng the whole deal LOL. She has been taking her turn on the rig hood and has managed to rig a few bear for us. She has shown good homing instinct and is pushing for the front of the race. I am very much looking forward to getting her back in the coon woods this Fall where I think she will do a good bit of improving. She is in need of a little more trash breaking right now and she is fixing on getting it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey LKC, this step by step walk through has been a huge help, thank you. You say to pull the dog off the tree or cage or whatever it may be that he is focused on at the peak of his excitment then put him up for two or three days. I understand your reasoning but in the break period should the dog be handled at all for a walk just to get out and horse around? Also my ten week old redbone barks on the chain, but as soon as he sees me he immediately hushes and sits, i dont know how to disapline him without giving him the impression that hes get in trouble for sitting and being quiet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:12 am 
IP:
arh030 wrote:
Hey LKC, this step by step walk through has been a huge help, thank you. You say to pull the dog off the tree or cage or whatever it may be that he is focused on at the peak of his excitment then put him up for two or three days. I understand your reasoning but in the break period should the dog be handled at all for a walk just to get out and horse around? Also my ten week old redbone barks on the chain, but as soon as he sees me he immediately hushes and sits, i dont know how to disapline him without giving him the impression that hes get in trouble for sitting and being quiet.

When the dog is being "put" up for a couple of days I generally don't do much at all with them other than maybe a couple minutes patting up when I feed. The barking dog who shuts up when he see's you is a smart dog. I would put an e-collar on the dog and "tap" it lightly every time it barks. This will help the dog associate the correction with the barking and not you. The Tri-Tronics no bark collars work real good as well. I am willing to bet the dog figures it out real fast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next