CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Scent
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Is there a certain type of coon scent I could buy to put on an old rag to make a drag out of? I have some coon urine mask scent for a deer hunting but coon don't really smell like urine except when they come outta their den. I'm not having any luck finding a true coon scent, anybody know?

Chetek Bulldogs- Playoffs Level 4

Calkins- #11 on Coondawgs post list.

Home of:
Calkins' Northern White Raider

Signature Edit by Admin and Reason Account is Now Banned.

A dog is only as good as the man's word that's selling it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:40 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Clip the belly hair off a coon and soak it in water. Then dip your drag rag in the water. Then use the rag to make your drag.

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:20 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I've got Cronk's scent that is as good as you can get. 1-800-584-5490 Thanks, Kenny :!:

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:36 am 
IP:
I use and sell Pete Ricards. I have trained several dogs with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:19 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Nite Lite also sells training and breaking scents.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:13 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

you can just trap a coon and kill it and make a drag out of the tail. and for the breaking part of it set the dog up and let it run after whatever y9u are breaking it of and correct it with and E-collar

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:13 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Anybody ever use Rickards before? I bought some of that from Bear Paw a local sporting goods store. Came with a drag, scent, whistle, and training instructions for $15 and change. Pup finds the drag everytime but I just hope it's a good coon scent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:19 pm 
IP:
I posted earlier here, I have used and sell Pete Rickards scents for years with very good results. I have been training with the there scents for 20 years. VERY good product. PM me and we can talk more about them.

Post subject: Coon Scent
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

For Training your coon dog with coon scent does anyone know if coon urine would work, or are there other types of scents you are suppose to use?

Post subject: Re: Coon Scent
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:28 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Whacks'Em wrote:
For Training your coon dog with coon scent does anyone know if coon urine would work, or are there other types of scents you are suppose to use?

I don't think there is anything on the market that will smell like the real thing JMO. I think the stuff that you can buy is a bunch of bologna. JMO

Post subject: Re: Scent
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This has a variety of trailing scents. well trusted store. http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Hunti ... ng+Scents/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

get you a coon then put a towl or any thing like a drag in its bed something you can get out any time . then cut in strips get you a rolling tapmeasue so you know the rang your pup gos. put the cut strips on the rolling tapmeasuer fix the strips so you can take them(( off and on))) so its fresh every time and it is real 100% coon your pup is runing you can wet it or any thing you wish if you hunt wet lands well most of the coon you hunt r wet!! i have did this for a long time it works .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've got a question...Kind of need some opinoins...Is it better to use a scent drag with a dog or a caged coon...I would think that caged coon would make the hound hunt with sight. Is that true or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My personal feelings is that there is nothing better than natural scent. In the past, I have live trapped coon from where people didn't want them, then use the cage and coon as a drag and run it up a tree, with the pup you are training out of sight. You can set it up like this for short tracks for a pup just starting out, then when they get firing on it, turn the coon out in a place you know well, then wait a while and turn the pup out. As long as the pup can't see the coon and is using its nose it will only help. You can change up the amount of time you wait before turning your pup on the track. I have also used water so the scent is really out there. I don't think you can substitute the real deal for something in a bottle, but that's my opinion. I would recommend using two different vehicles for this so your hunting rig doesn't smell like a coon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

michael.magorian wrote:
My personal feelings is that there is nothing better than natural scent. In the past, I have live trapped coon from where people didn't want them, then use the cage and coon as a drag and run it up a tree, with the pup you are training out of sight. You can set it up like this for short tracks for a pup just starting out, then when they get firing on it, turn the coon out in a place you know well, then wait a while and turn the pup out. As long as the pup can't see the coon and is using its nose it will only help. You can change up the amount of time you wait before turning your pup on the track. I have also used water so the scent is really out there. I don't think you can substitute the real deal for something in a bottle, but that's my opinion. I would recommend using two different vehicles for this so your hunting rig doesn't smell like a coon.

well said michael! Ive done it exactly like that and it worked great. never messed with bottled coon scent, just took live coons trapped in the city and turned em loose in a field. if you turn coon loose in the timber it just climbs the closest tree and there isnt much trail to run. I turn them loose at least 100yds from the woods, then go get the young dogs and lead them close to where i turned loose.