CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: .223 on deer?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Has anyone every heard of shooting whitetail deer with a .223?

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ive killed a few with a .223..shoot them in the neck..shoulder decengrates the bullet...

bawlin choppin treein..that is a walker for you

Boomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Not sure about other states, but im pretty sure its illegal to use 22 caliber for deer in Michigan. Would be fun with a .223 though, get some long shots. That's why i like my 25-06 :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i seen a few deer shot with 223 and 22- 250 does a decent job with proper placement and a good bullet...use reloads not that factory crap. i wouldnt use one i like knockdown power and if i did get a bad shot least i would have a decent blood trail...overall its too lite fer deer

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:03 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Im gonna stick with my 12 gauge, muzzleloader or bow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'VE SHOT 1 WITH MY 222. HAD 2 SHOOT TWICE. FIRST 1 EXPLODED THE HEART AT 185 YARDS. HE DROPPED AND GOT BACK UP AND STRTED FOR THE WOODS. 2ND SHOT HIT THE SPINE AND THE BULLET WENT AND DESTROYED EVERY BIT OF BACKSTRAPS THERE WAS :shock: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:53 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Let me ask ya'll this question. I here alot about knockdown power from deer hunters. Our miltary uses the .223 bullet to kill an average size man of about 175 lbs. Most deer i see killed are close to that weight, yet we think we have to use a .300 Rem Ultra mag to kill it. Why is that?

Home of:

NITECH Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie

CH Whitey's Stylish Samantha

Triple X-Rated

Rank's Stylish Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have hunted deer with a Rim. 22_ 250 for 25 years I have had lung shoulder and head shots only lost 3 deer in 25 years you dont need an ELEPHANT gun to kill a deer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:05 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The .223 is a light, fast load and if you can hit the heart/lung shot you got the deer usually. The military uses this load for the range and the fact that a hit can kill or severely wound the enemy and that wounded soldier will distract his comrades attention if they give a rip about each other. The North Vietnamese army used light rounds on our guys and exploited our dedication to not leave wounded troops on the field. They would only salvage their wounded if they saw that they might make it to fight again. I would rather use a 12ga. with good quality slugs. It punches them hard and long shots are not the normal shot in my hunting area.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:49 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

willseeyalater wrote:
The .223 is a light, fast load and if you can hit the heart/lung shot you got the deer usually. The military uses this load for the range and the fact that a hit can kill or severely wound the enemy and that wounded soldier will distract his comrades attention if they give a rip about each other. The North Vietnamese army used light rounds on our guys and exploited our dedication to not leave wounded troops on the field. They would only salvage their wounded if they saw that they might make it to fight again. I would rather use a 12ga. with good quality slugs. It punches them hard and long shots are not the normal shot in my hunting area.

I agree with what you give as to the use of small caliber bullets, but i thought the Vietnamese used 7.62 ammo. That would almost be equivelent to a 7mm or .308, would it not?

Post subject: That maybe so Russ
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

All I remember from studying it is that lots of their bullets hit guys in one spot and spiraled internally doing some wicked stuff to our guys. I am not such a ballistics expert as I am a history student. My deepest respect to those who have faced and are currently facing enemy fire and explosives. We will not forget those who paid the highest price for our freedom.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:54 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

willseeyalater wrote:

Funny you mention that. I was reading where a number of Marine units are resurrecting M-14's for the Iraq war. They are being retrofitted with synthetic stocks and newer sites. Apparently, the terrorists are so high on opiates that they can take multiple hits from .223 ammo that they can keep on fighting. a 7.62mm round I guess drops them alot faster.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member