It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:39 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

tony foley wrote:
i am no legal expert, but this is my experience. I bought a gun via internet from Mi., the seller did research and sent it through the mail, he removed the bolt and wrapped in a non-discript (brown paper) wrapping, mailed it priority mail, costs me 6 dollars shipping, i had it in 2 days.

When I was applying for my license, I was interviewed by an ATF agent and one of the first thing he told me absolutely that I could only ship a receiver to another FFL holder.

anything else would be designated an illegal transfer and would result in revocation of my license and possibly more. I didn't ask, but I got the message.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:53 am 
IP:
VACOON wrote:
I have a guy who wants to trade me my muzzle loader for a tracking box. I can't figure out how to ship all the places i call says it has to be from dealer to dealer. If anyone knows a way to do it please post.

I have my FFL. A muzzleloader does not have the same rules as a regular firearm, hence being able to buy off the internet with out paper work. There is no requirements of paper work to be filled out,(form 4473). Shipping rules are also different. If the muzzleloader is unloaded, no powder,cap,or bullet, it can be legally shipped from one person to the next. Perfectly legal. Regular firearms do have to be shipped via licensed dealer(FFL).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:13 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If yall have really been shipping guns thru the mail and UPS like that and haven't gotten into trouble, consider yourselves lucky.I promise you (I used to work at a friend's gun shop) that the ATF ISN'T Barney and Andy, and if you get caught, you are DONE.What Bubba said is dead on, and I also am pretty sure that if the crap hit the fan, those people at UPS ,Fed Ex, and wherever that are handing out all this wisdom wouldn't know what you were talking about and would get a convenient case of amnesia.A writer for Field and Stream even had a story about going on a hunt far off and instead of going thru the hastle of flying with a gun,he mailed it to himself to a gun shop local to where he was hunting,and STILL had to fill out the proper paperwork simply because the gun had been shipped.

Muzzleloaders are different, though.I was told BY an FFL dealer that you can ship a muzzleloader straight thru as long as you don't send powder or primers with it., as they are hazardous materials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:08 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thsnks for all the replies I am getting ready to call the atf now. If they won't let me ship the reciever I will just send the guy the money to get a new one which is like 40 bucks. After I talk to them I will let you all know what they say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:02 am 
IP:
glad i read the post i mean luckily i didn't get in any trouble but won't be shipping guns from now on! glad i don't have to now! like i said $400 plus the cost of my brother to get a ride 8 hours away.. i mean i guess if i got caught that $ 800 wouldn't have been so bad but got lucky! thanks for all the added info on this topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:20 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

OK just got off the phone with everyone. The ATF doesn't consider it a firearm because it cannot be converted to shoot anything but black powder, so that left it up to the post office. The post office will ship a muzzleloader as long as it isn't in firing condition, which mean taking the fireing block out and shipping it speeratly. So i will take the barrel off and send it by itself and then send the stock and firing block later one. Took me a good hour to figure all this out with most of the time being with the ATF and he looked it up just to make sure it wasn't considered a firearm. Adn after 5 calls to the post office with different people each time just to make sure they said the same thing. But i do know it is not permitted to send anything that is centerfire or rimfire or a muzzleloader that can have different barrels put on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

VACOON wrote:
OK just got off the phone with everyone. The ATF doesn't consider it a firearm because it cannot be converted to shoot anything but black powder, so that left it up to the post office. The post office will ship a muzzleloader as long as it isn't in firing condition, which mean taking the fireing block out and shipping it speeratly. So i will take the barrel off and send it by itself and then send the stock and firing block later one. Took me a good hour to figure all this out with most of the time being with the ATF and he looked it up just to make sure it wasn't considered a firearm. Adn after 5 calls to the post office with different people each time just to make sure they said the same thing. But i do know it is not permitted to send anything that is centerfire or rimfire or a muzzleloader that can have different barrels put on it

you did the smartest thing. I know alot of so called muzzleloaders can be converted, so it is always best to check. Believe it or not, I have found the ATF to be very helpful in anwering your questions. When in doubt, ask.

before I even applied for my license, I spent six months learnign the rules to make sure I was able to follow them. they are complex and written by politcians masquerading as lawyers and lawyers masquerading as politicians.

if you have any more questions, please don't be afraid to ask. One of the reason why I got into this business was to help people with their firearms and I also know that Buckshot will never ever steer you wrong.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah I really didn't want to get put in jail. So I called them and got transfered about 10 times. But finally ended up with the local field office and he looked it up for me. The hardest part was talking to the post office. Had to call around till I found someone that has done it. Thank everyone for their help I will be shipping it monday.

Mike