CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Food Aggression
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a young blue dog that when i try to move its bowl, pet it anything like that it will growl at me. I have been taking its food away and giving it a smack when it does it and its helping. Is that right or is there a better way? I have a little beagle that runs around and it sometimes gets in his food and trys to start stuff with him should i keep it away when he is eating and tie it up?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

technology is a wonderful thing

get u a shocking coller and just do everything he normally growls at u for and when he growls give him a little zap not bad just a small one not much at all if he is young and he may even be too young to shock

how old is the dog exactly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:12 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i use to have a pair of redbones that were this away ... if its a puppy ... my papaw use to light them up either with an e collar or he would grab them by the nap of the neck really fast and pull them about 5 foot off the ground and yell something in a deep voice like "NO NO" and put them down and act like nothing happen... the one pup i think tried it again ... he did the same thing... a few follow ups i swear you could stick your hand in the food bowl and the dog would pull his face back and let you pick up the food ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

he is 9 months old

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Most aggression starts at a young age.It has to be stopped as soon as possible..With real young pups..What I do is grab the back of the pups neck and pick them up...I look them right in the eye and yell stop..It works on most dogs..BUT pups keept together toooo long.Can become aggressive just over feed..I like to split mine up as young as possible...A must if they get growly at all..One pup can ruin a whole litter.Just by making them aggressive also..Or making them un- aggressive ..With older pups a shocking collar is needed....You have to shock them whenever they show aggression....Dogs that are not broke.Can become face barkers or just flat out mean...Nobody likes hunting with dogs like that..........

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

use a switch on him keep doing it intil he stops he will get the point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Pick the dog up off the ground (to remove him from his element) then put him down and roll him over on his back and hold him down until he becomes calm submissive. You have to show them who is the pack leader is,and that is always you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:04 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I agree with Chet and Mt. Man ..... For one this behavior must be put to a stop as quickly as possible. I in my own opinion don't believe a shock collar would be nessisary in this situation........ One thing that I see that you are doing wrong is taking his food dish. Yes .. you are right in smacking him and correcting him. However don't take his food ..... that is the whole reason he growled at you in the first place "Because he was afraid you were going to take his food" .. and then you did .. proving him right!! So my suggestion is .. DO NOT Take his food ... Instead follow this method. ..... As Chet said you need to grab the loose skin on the sides of his head firmly,giving you full control of the hounds body. Then as Mt. man said take the dog out of his element! While you have ahold of the loose skin on the sides of his head quickly and forcefully put that hound over on his back and get right in his face and YELL "NO" and hold him there .... What this is doing is showing this hound that you mean business and you ARE his boss "Pack Leader" ...... I will now explain this method. Have you ever seen an aggressive dog jump on a timid dog? The timid dog will roll over on his back "belly up" ... what he is doing is submitting to the agressive dog. .... When you roll your hound over and get in his face ... you have just forced him to submit to you "His pack leader" Hope it works for you .. good luck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i spilled some food on the ground so i let him and another pup out to eat it up. well he snapped at her so i whooped him.i have had them side by side barking at a cage coon and he didnt act ill. some after that i put them in the same pen and let them eat together he kept doing it when the other dog was trying to eat at the same time. every time he snapped i whooped him pretty hard the last time. eventually when the other dog came over there he sorta just leaves it to her. does this mean i got him started out of it?? does a dog snapping over food mean he is going to snap over other things too. or is it just food is food. soo of al this would he be considered unfixable or just not a huge deal just keep whooping him every time he does it? hes 9 months old so hes still pretty young. Please help.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

Post subject: Re: Food Aggression
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:25 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

if it was me i would never trust a dog that growled at me over food, ive had em like that and every time i feed them i always had to watch them pretty close and ive had the crap bit out of me by a dog that was ill around food, ill never own another one. maybe you can break him but i never was able to, good luck with him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i hope you can get him cured of that problem. i couldnt tell you anything that hasnt already been said, except how this problem starts. it is terrible that it has been let to happen til the age of 9 months. this usually is from pups being allowed to eat together, and being allowed to fight each other over food. after weaning they need to be seperated, or they can be fed together if you stay right with them while they are eating. that is how i do it. the least little growl earns a pup a good smack upside the head. they learn pretty quick that a growl equals a beating and soon 2 or 3 at a time will eat from the same bowl, faces right against each other, still aggressively trying to get all they can as fast as they can(an instinct that nothing can be done about), without any unacceptable conduct. you've already been told how to fix it, now let's hope that the guy who raised em reads this thread and learns how to prevent it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

that waa the first time he had done anything like that. but ive been beatin him for it and lettin him know he dont need to be doin that and today the other dog went to eat and he just let her eat and left it to her.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:15 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the food agression is a natural reaction, just don't put up with it and it should stop. not letting there be an opportunity for it, i.e. not feeding dogs together is a sure way to avoid it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

okay so just because he dont want another dog takin his food doesnt mean hes gonna do it on a tree?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

no. i would not worry about that. if you already had him barking at cage with another dog and he was not agressive then he is probably ok in that department.