CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What is the best way to get a coon out of a live trap and into a roll cage? Are there any secrets? I've been studying on it and it just don't look like no easy job.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

get yerself some welding gloves. then place the doors of the two cages as close to each other as you can. carefully open each door so the coon can go from one to the other but not escape. You'll probally have to prod it with something. A freind of mine has had one for a long time and he handles it like a pet and transfer's it with his hand's. would'nt try it myself and don't advise anyone else to do it either. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:00 pm 
IP:
I have found no easy way. I built a tunnel (did not know what else to call it) out of wood that goes tight around the trap and butts up tight against the rolling cage. Works pretty good. It didn't take too many coon getting out and jumping on my feet to think of this. I have had a coon for about 2 years and he is just as wild now as he ever was. I have also heard but never tried that you can put them in a trash can with a lid on it and spray ether in it until they pass out and thansfer them fast. Never tried it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the tunnel think sounds like a pretty good idea....i think i'll try rigging up something along those lines. thanks alot

Post subject: TRAP TO ROLLING CAGE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

GO THE CO-OP AND TELL THEM YOU WANT A PIG NOOSE. IT'S A PIECE OF 1/2 PIPE WITH CABLE THRU ONE END AND A ROD THAT HAS A LEVER ON IT. WHENE YOU GET THE NOOSE OVER HIS HEAD JUST PULL IT TIGHT AND THE PRESSURE LEVER HOLDS HIM IN THE NOOSE TILL YOU RELEASE HIM. IT WILL FIT THRU A SMALL OPENING AND YOU CAN WORK IT OVER HIS HEAD FROM OUT SIDE THE CAGE. YOU GUYS ARE WORKING WAY TO HARD. IF I CAN GET SOME PIC OF MINE AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST THEM I WILL. THE CO-OP NCAN GET THEM AND THEY ARE NOT VERY EXPENSIVE AND A LOT MORE SAFE THAN WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:02 pm 
IP:
Whatever method you try be SURE to have someone standing by with a video camera. Chances are you will get some pretty intersting footage :D . I don't use a roll cage, I just use the live trap I caught them in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:22 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i use a plastic square bucket with the bottom cut out of it. its a 2 man job if you want it to end up right :lol:

the last time we switched a coon over from my trap to my cage my boyfriend jamie asked "what do you want me to do if the coon gets out? you want me to get a stick or somthin?" and said "run- id suggest tward the dogs" :lol: :shock: :lol:

Post subject: Re: TRAP TO ROLLING CAGE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:48 pm 
IP:
rackentracks wrote:
GO THE CO-OP AND TELL THEM YOU WANT A PIG NOOSE. IT'S A PIECE OF 1/2 PIPE WITH CABLE THRU ONE END AND A ROD THAT HAS A LEVER ON IT. WHENE YOU GET THE NOOSE OVER HIS HEAD JUST PULL IT TIGHT AND THE PRESSURE LEVER HOLDS HIM IN THE NOOSE TILL YOU RELEASE HIM. IT WILL FIT THRU A SMALL OPENING AND YOU CAN WORK IT OVER HIS HEAD FROM OUT SIDE THE CAGE. YOU GUYS ARE WORKING WAY TO HARD. IF I CAN GET SOME PIC OF MINE AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST THEM I WILL. THE CO-OP NCAN GET THEM AND THEY ARE NOT VERY EXPENSIVE AND A LOT MORE SAFE THAN WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING. :shock:

yer right these folks are workin way to hard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:37 am 
IP:
LCK wrote:
I don't use a roll cage, I just use the live trap I caught them in.

The coon can't roll in a square cage! I like to see them bluedogs chase the cage when the ol coon starts to roll around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:49 am 
IP:
bluetick1982 wrote:
LCK wrote:

The coon can't roll in a square cage! I like to see them bluedogs chase the cage when the ol coon starts to roll around.

Your right. The thing is you can accomplish the same thing with a square cage as you can a roll cage. OH, I FORGOT! I thought working a dog on a cage was for training, NOT ENTERTAINEMENT. Please excuse my ignorance LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:04 am 
IP:
It just seems like if the coon is moving and rolling everywhere that it would be better for them since they can see him trying to run and get away. Thats what I have always thought.

Last edited by bluetick1982 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Another Tip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

One trick I have used is: Coon's retreat to darkness. So were ever you want them to go, wrap something like a trap or a towel around it to make it darker than what they are in. Open both doors, give them a minute and they should just walk right in. Always works for me. Hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I ordered a catch pole from Huntsmart for around $25.00 and I love it. I tip the trap on end, slide the pole in the trap around his neck and pull him out. Then I have the roll cage on its end put the coon in it and have another person shut the the lid and I slip the cable off his neck and pullout the pole. Usually the other person keeps his foot on the lid until I tighten it down with a rachet. I hope this helps you out some.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if u put the cage with the coon on bottom and put the roll cage on top with doors open and the coon should go up in the roll cage on his own all u should have to do is shut the doors i didnt believe it neither until i tried it and thats the way ive done it ever since good luck

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK wrote:
bluetick1982 wrote:
LCK wrote:

Your right. The thing is you can accomplish the same thing with a square cage as you can a roll cage. OH, I FORGOT! I thought working a dog on a cage was for training, NOT ENTERTAINEMENT. Please excuse my ignorance LOL.

Wait, I think I'm doing it wrong. Let me go tell my dog to stop being so damn entertaining! I'm sorry, but I thought coonhunting was meant to be entertaining.