CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:06 pm 
IP:
i have a redbone/bluetick and he will come if i dont call him he will see what i am doing than leave but when i haller at him he comes 50% of the time how do i make him come 100% please help me.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

take him out on a long check cord and work with him on obedience and coming to you. call him to you- if he comes reward him, if he dosnt give him a good jerk and call him to you again. keep working with him on all kinds of obedience in all kinds of situations. put a good handle on him and hell listin alot better, and be easier to be around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i take my dogs out to the garage with me and have a bag of biscuits.ill be in there working and every ounce in a while i will call my dog to me and when he comes i while give him a biscuit and pet him up.couple days of this and he should mind good, it has worked for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

how can i get my dog to come back to me when i call him. as soon as i let him go he is oing hunting and not going to stop until he trees or you run him down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Your dog really does want to please you, he's just not sure what you want form him yet.

Time to go back to step one with the obedience training. Try short but often training sessions, 3 or 4 a day. Call him by his name and give him a command, like " Barney Come" and only do this one time. When he looks at you, use other jestures to make him come to you, patting you knee, hold your arms out, use a happy facial expression, use a happy tone of voice, get down on one knee etc. The trick is to get him to come everytime with having just called his name with the command once. Now when he comes, reward him, pet him, hug him, tell him he's a good dog, spoil him for 30 seconds or so. Don't scold him when he does not come to you, end the session and try again later. Only use positive praise. Exercise patience and don't get upset with him. Like I said, he really does want to please you. You can try a food treat like a small peice of cheese or something when he get's it right, but, eventually you'll need him to come with the praise for a reward. He will catch on.

This has worked for me. Perhaps others will have some ideas for you as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks i will try that out

Last edited by B&T coon hunter on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

tie a big rope on his collar and let him run..when you call him tug the rope....keep doing that and it will work..i have done this to many dogs..shock collar works well too..

bawlin choppin treein..that is a walker for you

Boomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ive messed with alot of young dogs and when you get one with alot of hunt drive its hard to get them back. alot of people like dogs like that but it drives me crazy. i have a 2 year old female black n tan that i cant catch her until shes treed. she comes to me in the day but when its hunting time forget it. ive never laid a hand own her but the funny thing is if im hunting with a girl she will come to them when we are close. a shock collar doesnt even faze her so i will keep an eye on your post for ideas. GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A shock collar works for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Okay, I have this dog that likes to stay out all night hunting. I have stayed out literally all night several times because she won't come in till daylight. I have hunted her with dogs that will come in and she won't stay with them when they start to come in. Any ideas on how I may be able to solve this problem???

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:14 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

how old is the dog? she may be afraid of the lights at night... i know of a guy in our club that will not come in if you have your light on... just a consideration... either that or get an e-collar

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

She loves to hunt???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:22 pm 
IP:
Put her on a rope one day out in the yard, with her e-collar. Go inside..come back, go somewhere were she can't see you, but if you called her she can get to you. Call her *or get a horn, like the ones you use when you fox hunt...and blow it, they will be able to hear that real far off* if she comes give her a hot dog or something, if she don't bump the e-collar on, then call her, keep bumping it up untill she comes. Thats what i do, works great everytime...it sucks sometimes cause they can be hardheaded as all get out..but hay patience..lol...good luck, god bless and safe hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok, she is 2ish (I'm not sure just off hand), I haven't thought about the lights thing, but she really doesn't even get close enough to see the lights...

Yes, she apparently just loves to hunt...

And she will come to me on her own during the day out in the yard or out running in the woods, just not after being turned loose after dark. I don't have an e-collar, but I guess thats about all the choice I have... I guess I'll being working an extra day at work instead of hunting so I can get the $$$ for one.

Thanks guys, if anyone else has a good idea let me know. By the way, I also put a bell on her a couple of times, I was told that it would help me to hear where she is, but I could only hear it for about 15 seconds after letting her loose.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:11 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Can she run and tree a coon???????????????.Does she run trash..She could be running silent on trash.Ive known many dogs that do that..How about a tracking collar.Do you have one....Is she the only dog you own??

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW