CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:58 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

A natural way is to put 2tble spoons of vinegar in your dogs water.I seen it and tried it.It works.You can also put 3 tble spoons in regular human shampoo and bath your dogs in it.And also if you srub your carpets yourself.Use 1 cup of white vinegar to a gallon of water.And scrub your carpets.It kills the fleas and helps bring them out of the carpet.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: How to get rid of FLEAS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have bathed, dipped(Happy Jack kennel dip), and put flea and tick gel down their back......when i go to my kennels i get fleas on my boots and pants before i go into the kennel. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to use to get rid of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you find out let us all know been fighting with fleas all summer, I've spent over $100's on things to go on my dogs and in the pins and my yard even paid someone to spray!!!! Don't get as many off me as I was but there still here! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:37 pm 
IP:
Try Diatomaceous Earth.

Its a powder form that kills fleas when it touches them. It literally cuts them open and kills them. The fleas all die with in 48 hours. Its truely an amazing product.

Its all natural and you can use it directlly on the dogs, pens & they can even inadvertlly digest it with out harm. You can buy it from natural garden supply stores or even Lowes. Make sure you get the food grade and not pool grade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I bought this citronella type spray that works great for flies and does alright with fleas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:42 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

First of all, anything you see with Happy Jack or Sargent's name on it is watered down crap.I dust my pen with sevin dust and spray the dog down with Adams spray.Adams also makes a dip that works well.When you spray it on, you have to rub it in by hand,but it washes off easily enough.I haven't tried any of the Frontline or Bio Spot, but I guess that will be an option if the Adams ever fails me everybody I know that has used it says it works.I've also heard that Dawn dishwashing soap will get them off the dog, but I don't see haw it would keep them from coming back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:57 am 
IP:
take a gallon of off rode diesel and mix it with motor oil and mix it up real good and por it on them and pore it in there house that will kill all the flies and ticks and it will keep thim off of them for a long time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:43 pm 
IP:
well i use frontline plus and swear by it it works on my hounds and house dawgs great :P :wink: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:45 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I also use frontline plus. I have found that going to you local feed store and asking for a bag of farmers salt is a cheaper alternative to haveing the ground sprayed or sevendusted. works in any kennel floor including dirt (may kill grass not sure) and is not harmful to your dogs It will keep the fleas out. just spread it in and around your kennels wet it lightly. it also helps sanities the kennels to keep germs down.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks for the info, but where can you buy Frontlin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:58 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Our local farm supply store sells frontline in the little tubes you use one a month, so does our vet. the vet also sells a large spray bottle of it that is nice when you have lots of dogs. You may want to check pet stores in your area I am not sure if they carry it http://www.1800petmeds.com/ has it as well

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

carolinacooner71 wrote:
take a gallon of off rode diesel and mix it with motor oil and mix it up real good and por it on them and pore it in there house that will kill all the flies and ticks and it will keep thim off of them for a long time

burnt motor oil fixes everything lol its the truth though

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

any oil base liquid will work, kerosene is No 1 diesel No 2 Diesel has more oil in it, I would leave out the burnt motor oil unless you have Mange.

Some say you can put a table spoon ful of Clorox in 5 gal of drink water and they will stop the fleas, My dog drank out of a pool in Calif all the time and never had fleas.

Dawn dish water soap works if you keep bathing them you will soon rid the fleas.

Frog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

but wont they come right back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:08 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

We use Frontline about twice a year. It isn't supposed to last anywhere near that long but so far, on our dogs it does. It keeps the fleas from gaining a foothold and doesn't wash off right away if the dog gets wet. New fleas will show up every time you go somewhere that has them (they'll just hitch a ride on you) and every time a flea-infested cat, squirrel, or coon goes through your yard or where your dogs run. Nothing you can do about new fleas coming in just keep them dying as soon as they arrive. We also used Advantage in the past with good success. Both are expensive but I swear by them and I've got 4 pretty good-sized dogs in the house so it's not like we wouldn't notice if the dogs got fleas. I agree about a lot of the over-the-counter stuff. If you can buy it in a regular food store it is going to be weak. Frontline and Advantage you have to go to a feed store, pet supply shop, or vet to buy it around here-the food stores don't carry them. You can also get them online. We tried Bio-spot and it did not work at all but I later heard it doesn't hold up if it gets wet and our dogs got wet right after we tried it so I can't honestly say it does not work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next