CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I'm looking at a Ruger M-77 in 7 x 57 caliber.Anybody know anything about it?The bullet is identical to a .270, and the action is Mauser.Any goods or bads will be appreciated.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:36 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

As much as I love Ruger's the M77 in 7mm does not have the bet reputation for accuracy. the original M77's had an oversized bore that actually shot BETTER after it got dirty. you'd often get groups that ranged from 1-3 inches at 100 yard. Now the MkII's are another matter. Ruger corrected the many problems and people who have purchased one seem to be happy with them. They generally get groups of about 1.2 inch at the same distance.

check it see if it is a MkII and good luck!

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:46 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thanks, Bubba.The gun is an MK II.What drew me to it is that I've never heard of the caliber, and I like to try different stuff out, plus,it's a Ruger, and I've wanted to try a Ruger for along time.I've owned about every rifle Remington makes,but I just want to branch out a little.The gun is also on sale for $450.00 with a Swift scope, Claw sling, and a box of shells, so if I don't like it, I can always get my money back out of it-it's not like I won't have my trusty old 700 .270 in the safe just in case.By the way, have you ever used a Swift scope?In the gun shop, it's one of the clearest scopes I've ever looked through, but that doesn't mean much in the real world.

Post subject: The 7x57 aka 7mm Mauser
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It was originally developed for the Model of 1893 Mauser. This was the rifle that the spaniards on San Jaun Hill were armed with during the Spanish-American war. It was at that time one of the most technologically advanced weapons in use. It was superior to the 30/40 Krag-Jorgenson in use by the regular army of the United states and and light years ahead of the 45/70 blackpowder trapdoor springfield, which was a single shot, in use by the reserve and guard units that made up the bulk of the expeditionary force in Cuba.
It was this rifle and cartridge that was the almost sole reason for the development of the Model 1903 Springfield rifle and it's original 30-03 cartridge. In 1906 a change in bullet weight and slight shortening ogf the case gave us the now legendary 30-06 Springfield.
Back to the 7x57, the cartridge case is very similar to the .308 Winchester case in capacity and size (57mm vs 54mm). Due to this the 7x57 should generate velocities very similar to those generated by another 7mm based on the .308 case, the 7mm-08. This is rarely the case though in factory ammunition. Due to the number of 1893 mausers still extant the ammunition factories have wisely chosen to load this cartridge to lower chamber pressures than the more modern 7mm-08. The 1893 mauser is not as strong as newer and more modern actions such as the later 1898 mauser with improved safety features.
None of this is a problem for the handloader armed with a modern strong action (the ruger is one of these) or if one has a source of factory ammunition from europe. The european factories operate on the assumption that the user of a rifle understands the type of action he/she has and will purchase accordingly. They even post the type of pressures expected on the box.
The 7x57 is a grand old round that can do anything the 7-08 can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

coleman wrote:
Thanks, Bubba.The gun is an MK II.What drew me to it is that I've never heard of the caliber, and I like to try different stuff out, plus,it's a Ruger, and I've wanted to try a Ruger for along time.I've owned about every rifle Remington makes,but I just want to branch out a little.The gun is also on sale for $450.00 with a Swift scope, Claw sling, and a box of shells, so if I don't like it, I can always get my money back out of it-it's not like I won't have my trusty old 700 .270 in the safe just in case.By the way, have you ever used a Swift scope?In the gun shop, it's one of the clearest scopes I've ever looked through, but that doesn't mean much in the real world.

I like Ruger products, I own and Alaskan Super Redhawk in .480 Cal trim and it feels great in your hand and you just cna't beat their .22's either rifles or pistols. They have their own foundary not too far from me in Southwest NH so everything is all American made. They are totally dedicated to hunting and shooting, Bill Ruger once told is employees "you can take all the time you want to go hunting, but if you ever take any time off to golf, you are fired". Anyway, the Mk II uses a real mauser claw controlled feed action, which makes it a good value for the money.

Never used a swift scope, but I hear they are a great value for the money. and make sure you get that scope leveled and bore sighted! Sounds like a pretty good deal for $450! Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thanks for the info, guys.The lady at the gun shop just called and said the gun is ready(I had them bore sight and thread -lock the scope).I'm camping this weekend near a rifle range, so I'm sure there'll be caps a poppin for the next few days.God, I can't wait for Oct. 15(opening of rifle season for deer).

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:37 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Whack em and stack em coleman. R U like I am the night before opening day I'm like a kid at chistmas. I get all ecited and kan't sleep. Then on stand I just wanna take a nap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:28 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Outstanding Coleman, good luck and enjoy your new gun!!