CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got a new 1 yr and a half old walker male. . . hes a good dog that will bark trail and tree good... until the shot fires from the rifle... hes so terrified he lays on the ground or runs off, even to the point of not wantin to fight the coon... is it at all possible to break this dog or should i not waste my time? ... id love to keep him if i can break him, id love to hear some advice from some people who have dealt with this same problem themselves or who know what i could do.... and do you think he will want to fight the coon after hes broke of the shyness? Thanks a whole lot

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:41 pm 
IP:
i tryed this and it worked if it does not there is always the old fashion way take a can and fill it with screws nail put the lid on it and go out to the dog house and stand out by him and shake it do that 7 days a week for 2 weeks if that does not work tie him up and stand by him fill a round of 22lr shell and empty it that how i did it try the can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have just finished reading Walk With Wick and he covers gun shyness with hounds. He says to shoot a round while you are feeding them.If you live in a neighborhood then this won't be a thing to try. You can use the method above. He says to do this about 2 weeks every month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks ill definately try both methods.... what exactly does that can do for them? just curious, as long as it works i dont care what i gotta do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The best way and fast to break them..You beat metal pans when you feed.If he wont eat take the food away.Day two do the same thing.If hes does not eat take the food away.(try 2-3 times on day two)...Most dogs eat on day two...If not try again on day three.....Ive never had a dog go more than 2 days......Just make sure the dog has water....It wont hurt them at all and it works great.....(((The last thing))) I would do is shoot a gun around them until I did this first......You can also use cap guns,starter pistols......All dogs should be gun broke when they are little pups..Its the best way........

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:17 am 
IP:
Chet McCreary wrote:
The best way and fast to break them..You beat metal pans when you feed.If he wont eat take the food away.Day two do the same thing.If hes does not eat take the food away.(try 2-3 times on day two)...Most dogs eat on day two...If not try again on day three.....Ive never had a dog go more than 2 days......Just make sure the dog has water....It wont hurt them at all and it works great.....(((The last thing))) I would do is shoot a gun around them until I did this first......You can also use cap guns,starter pistols......All dogs should be gun broke when they are little pups..Its the best way........

This is without question the best way to fix a gunshy dog. I have done many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:23 pm 
IP:
the can help em get over being gun shy it a loud noise like a gun shout i forgot to tell u that when hes eating and u shake the can and hes does not spoke praise him if he does spoke wate till hes done eating or he will think that the can is a way to say dont eat that after a week this my be dumb but it worksrun a line from ur house to where ever ur dog is tied up and tie one end of the rope and hang it up and twice every hour skakke it like crazy and final take ur hound out in the woods when he trees be shure that u have a leash on him and have every one elase tie back there dogs and shoot the coon out if he run extend the can for one more week if he does not spoke praise him llike crazy if ur not in season take a hide at home hang it up get him to tree it and waite ur not to be shooting in the city so go out get a toy cap gun that u load the little red caps in and fire away like i saide if does not spoke praise him if he does try again in an hour hope he gets over been gun shy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:11 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The way I broke my dog is, first off make sure the dog is comfortable with you when you don't have a gun, and preferable come when you call it, and if you have it on a chain just walk out to it and let it come to you and hold the chain to where it can't get away and in the other pop a bullwhip just quietly at first and pet him up real good and gradually get louder. I don't know for sure how many dogs this will work on but it worked for mine. Best of Luck to you.

Dylan Crabtree

Post subject: gun shy dogs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:29 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I shoot around my dogs from the time they are pups. I do have one that is gun shy but i got him as an adult. He don't seem to be breakable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:11 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i had a bluetick that was gun shy so what i did is put a choke chain on him and a short chain then shot a round out the gun after that i let him smell the shell and it worked real well and he was never gun shy again also after you shot tell him good boy that also helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:35 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D I agree with Chet!! That is the best way to break a hound from being gun shy!! It works.. doesnt take long & they remember that the shots are a good thing!! :wink:

Post subject: not gun shy?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

all this talk bout bein gun shy got me curious... i had never tried shootin a gun around fancy but i went outside a few minutes ago and shot off a .22 long rifle round and she just started lookin around..not cowerin or anything just held her head in the air sniffin and lookin...does this mean shes not shy...or should i shoot one off a day for the next coupla days?

'PR' Shadrick's Fancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I would guess that Fancy came from a breeder that made lots of noise and banged the pans together when he feed her!! If people would just subject pups to these noises when they were young.. no one would have a gun shy dog.. They would be use to loud bangs.. and would realize that the loud bang means reward! Glad Fancy is not gunshy!! :wink:

Post subject: GUNShy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:00 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

sounds like she isn't gunshy. I'd still tie her back at the tree till I knew for sure. My male runs away so bad he'd prbably be in the next county and I'd have to wait two days for him to come back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:37 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

welp... i was too quick to reply... tried what parkerhills said and shot again today at feedin time... she couldnt get far enough into her house... dang...