CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Slick!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im having a problem with my yound walker....she gets in there and runs the track....but she is pulling up treeing to fast....and alot of her trees are slick!? what should i do?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

sound like a treeing machine if done right. what i would do is pull her off the tree circle the tree with her a few times geting wide with circles and cut her back out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Make sure when she trees and has the coon you are giving her the coon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for the input i sher will try it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:03 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

alot of people think a slick treeing dog is a dog with too much tree power. a slick treeing dog is a weak track dog, period. the track is the math, the tree is the answer. if you can't do the math your not gonna get the right answer.when you pull a dog off , walk him around the tree and turn it loose. your trying to get it to rethink the track (the math).or if you pull it off and work on it and turn it loose your making it rethink the track or math. it don't matter how hard or how loud a dog trees if it ain't got the coon.you can get a dog to tree harder or stay treed longer but you cannot teach one to track better then what is bred into it.you can make it rework the track and try it again.but alot of tree happy idiots cannot be broke of treeing slick, because they are weak track dogs.some dogs can be corrected. a recent world champion was a slick treeing idiot when he was younger. he was retrained and it worked ,but some cannot be broke of it................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:46 pm 
IP:
toe cutter wrote:
alot of people think a slick treeing dog is a dog with too much tree power. a slick treeing dog is a weak track dog, period. the track is the math, the tree is the answer. if you can't do the math your not gonna get the right answer.when you pull a dog off , walk him around the tree and turn it loose. your trying to get it to rethink the track (the math).or if you pull it off and work on it and turn it loose your making it rethink the track or math. it don't matter how hard or how loud a dog trees if it ain't got the coon.you can get a dog to tree harder or stay treed longer but you cannot teach one to track better then what is bred into it.you can make it rework the track and try it again.but alot of tree happy idiots cannot be broke of treeing slick, because they are weak track dogs.some dogs can be corrected. a recent world champion was a slick treeing idiot when he was younger. he was retrained and it worked ,but some cannot be broke of it................TC

Yep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:29 pm 
IP:
I thought I was a pretty good trainer until my recent humbling experience. I have a 19 month old male that up until about the last month or so was a "COONDOG DELUXE". He made most dogs look stupid when he hunted with them and that's not just me bragging. I have been offered LARGE sums of money for this dog by people who have hunted with him, and have even had a few phone calls from total strangers that had heard about him and wanted to buy him. Needles to say I didn't sell him, but am now thinking that might have been a mistake. He has always been an EXTREMELY hard tree dog and as such I have been VERY careful not to over encourage him on the tree. He has only been petted on the tree a couple of times at most, and only when he first started treeing. Until recently it was RARE to find him under a tree that didn't hold a coon, leaves or not. He had a better percentage of coon seen with the leaves on than most dogs do with leaves off. Recently though he has been a slick treeing idiot. Now I would tend to agree with Toe Cutter on the weak tracking ability being the cause most of the time, I've had that kind of dog in the past, but not for very long, but that just simply isn't the case with this dog.To date he has caught 11 coon on the ground and they weren't all young ones either. He opens alot on track also so being silent has nothing to do with him catching them either. He is just a track driving machine, plain and simple. My question is what do you think may be causing him to start slicking on me all of a sudden, and what would you do to fix it. I have my own theories but I'm wanting to hear some other opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

leaves are gone. change in weather, coons won't climb just because a dog is on their track. a dog has to force them to climb. keep hunting him and let him adjust to the changes before you work on him for treeing slick. the easy coon are gone. now is the time a dog the age of yours can actually learn something toward being a complete coondog.coons are full of tricks to leave a dog sitting empty while they split for the high timbers.the young dumb coon have been thinned out by this time of kill season. this is when the coons show you what a real dog is and when a young dog will learn the most.if he is slick .recast him to try and finish what he started. give him a little help by saying nope ,try it again buddy...............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:10 pm 
IP:
A year ago at this same time the leaves were gone, as were the easy coon, and the weather was about the same. He was only 7 months old at the time and had only been running and treeing for about a month. He never had a problem slicking on me then even though he was inexperienced. Now mind you he did have alot of unfinished tracks at that time, but considering his age and experience that wasn't a problem. Jump ahead about three months to where he was about ten months old. No easy coon, frozen ground, and no leaves. Slick trees were still not a problem, and he was finishing most of his tracks. All through summer even with the leaves on I still managed to find a coon in at least 75% of his trees. I haven't had any problem until just about the last 2 weeks. He rarely has the meat anymore and I hunt about five nights a week for about four hours a night. In that time I will make 4-5 trees. I hunt in the mountains ALOT so walking to empty trees is getting old really quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:56 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

alot of young pups that will tree coon are more accurate because THEY WON'T TAKE THEIR BEST GEUSS,THEY HAVE TO KNOW FOR SURE THEY HAVE THE MEAT BEFORE THEY WILL TREE. now that he is older he may be guessing more and not putting the work into checking the tree good for tracks going on. it will slow him up on how fast he will locate and tree off the end of the track,but i would let him know he is not right and you are not happy and send him on to finish it out right. a switch to his rear or a whipping and send him on.i can't stand a slick treein dog. like you said alot of walking for nothing.be careful on how bad you work on him, i have overdone it on some. the problem was the dog was doing the best it could and was just a dog that missed alot. i tried to whip them into being accurate. they got so if i shinned the tree and started to walk back toward the tree ,they would split . they thought i was gonna whip their butt again.some got much more accurate and some just were not ever gonna get it right .make sure you check out every thing around the tree and look for how the coon may have just beat him on it. a lone tree that is definatly one the coon would of had to fly away to not be there. make him go on and get it right. whipping him and sending him on should make him check his self better.like i said it may slow him down on locating ,but he is treeing too fast on em now................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:28 am 
IP:
Good point about young dogs being accurate toe cutter. I myself have always said a dog has to learn how to lie to you. That is why I think this is a training problem with this dog not a genetic problem. Something I learned a long time ago about training these hounds is that first and foremost you have to be honest with YOURSELF about your dog's abilities. I think I am doing that here. He's shown me that he has plenty of brains and nose to get it done right. Now here is my theory, tell me what you think. I have given this alot of thought and lost alot of sleep over it and I can only come up with 3 things. I think he's either treeing squirrels(alot of his slicks don't even have a track he just falls treed), or he is trying to tree layups and lacks the experience to be accurate on them yet. One other thing I have considered is that shooting coon out to him has contributed to this. This is the first kill season where he has had alot of coon shot to him and we are a little over a month into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:45 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

squirrels will usually only run at night if the moon is bright.frost will cause dogs to fall treed with no track.and be slick...................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:35 am 
IP:
Well last night he made 3 trees in 2 hours and I couldn't find any of them. One I could give him the benefit of the doubt but the other 2 were slicks. I made him go on and he didn't seem to pick up any nearby tracks. Tonight he made 4 trees in 3 1/2 hours and had all 4. One was even an old boar that ran him FOREVER and he hung with it and finished with the meat. I can't figure him out. I was hinking about it again tonight and I realized one thing that I hadn't factored in yet. I was working dayshift up until 3 weeks ago and hunting from about 7-12. Now I'm on second shift and hunting from 12 till 3 or 4 am, so he is getting older rougher tracks and is probably coming across more scent than he was before. I do know one thing for sure, this is killing me worrying about it. He was looking so good. I had a REAL WORLDBEATER several years back that got hit by a car, and have been trying to find one that could replace him ever since. This dog is the first one that had even looked like he was going to even come close. Now I would be ashamed to let somebody know I owned him. I certainly can't brag on him anymore. I guess thats what makes this sport so "interesting", you just never know how things are gonna turn out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:50 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

hunting later may take him some time to get back into sync. he has to learn to pick the tracks he can do some thing with. just keep putting him in the timber and he will probably come out to be a better dog because of it.the old boar tracks will surely make him a better dog...................TC

Post subject: Re: Slick!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You're not the only one in that boat!!I've got a 2 yr. old Walker male that up until the start of coon season could put it on most anything.He is slicking bad,but it's not due to track power as he could slam the door on an old boar in bad conditions in Jan. or Feb. here in Ohio.I'm reworking his thought process by running him with an older dog that is as accurate as they get when he falls treed and the old dog don't as long as they are running the same track I juice him.He's starting to get it,but you can't light up Chicago when you do it though.You'll either get a more accurate dog or break him,and personally i don't care either way as long as I'm not walking a mile to a blank.