hot 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
cold 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

which is the best for coon hunting?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:30 am 
IP:
I voted cold nose because that is what I like. I do not think there is a correct answer to this quetion because it all depends on what a person prefers. Both types of hound have great value to the right person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:29 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

coldnosed just means theyre able to smell a track that an average nosed dog cant- it dosnt mean that theyll pass up a hot trail to go find a cold one. a dogs not gonna hunt any harder than it has to, and theyre gonna try to find a coon. it dosnt mean theyre gonna run a hot track slow either- some dogs run a hot track just as slow as a cold one, and some will burn up a cold track just as fast as a hot one. even if youre gonna comp hunt having a cold nosed dog isnt a bad thing- because theyre still gonna run a hot track like a hot nosed dog will...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:33 pm 
IP:
i perfer a hot nosed dog if u hunt and dont want to be out late then u dont want a dog that runs all night and uaslly u have to walk a long ways just to see a hollar tree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:25 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The problem with a cold-nosed dog in a comp hunt is that you can't count on a hot track being the first one the dog runs across. If he hits a cold track he will follow that while the hot-nosed dogs go right past it, hit a fresh track and tree a coon and move on to the next one. It depends on your hunting style, if you compete, if you need to get home early, etc. Also, the more modern hot-nosed dogs are usually smaller than the old-fashioned cold-nosed dogs. I've always preferred big dogs over little dogs for no particular reason. Hopefully, when the pup grows up we'll have hot and cold running dog noses.

Post subject: hot nosed. good or bad?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my young dog will run a track really good. problem is my old dog treed and she was the other way. she came into him and acted like she couldnt smell it. she has barked up the tree on other trees. i want to comp hunt her. is it bad shes hot nosed or good.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:07 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i want my dogs to be able to run any track there is, i wanna tree coons when there moving around good and i wanna tree coons when there not moving good, and so far thats the kind of dogs i got, i would not trade them for the world, for a dog to stay at my house he or she has to be able to work out a cold track

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:35 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

WALKERMAN , MOST PEOPLE WANT A MEDIUM TO HOT NOSED DOG FOR COMP. BUT I HAVE SEEN ALOT OF CASTS WON BY THE DOG THAT HAS THE BETTER NOSE WITH THE BRAINS TO USE IT.
NO MATTER WHAT ITS NOSE IS A DOG HAS GOT TO HAVE THE BRAINS TO GO WITH IT. ALOT OF PEOPLE HOOK SLOW WITH COLD NOSED. IF A COLD NOSED DOG IS SLOW, ITS BECAUSE ITS STUPID TOO. NO BRAINS TO USE THE NOSE IT HAS.
AS FAR AS YOUR YOUNG DOG, A DOGS NOSE IS NOT COMPLETELTY DEVELOPED TILL AFTER 2 YRS OLD.
I WOULD THINK THE BIGGEST REASON YOUR OLD DOG TREED THE COON AND YOUR FEMALE DID'NT TREE ON IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE OLD DOGS EXPERIANCE TO DO THE JOB WITH LESS SCENT. ACTUALLY SHE PROBLY COULD SMELL IT AS GOOD AS HE COULD, JUST NOT ENOUGH EXPERIANCE TO CONVINCE HER WITHOUT THE STRONG SCENT A YOUNG DOG NEEDS. SAME REASON ALOT OF YOUNG DOGS ARE MORE ACCURATE WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG. THEY GOT TO KNOW ITS THERE TO TREE ON IT.

Last edited by toe cutter on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

oh okay thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Cold nosed! I like a cold nosed dog that will move a track not stand on its head. Where I hunt in central missouri in the hills the coon travel long distances And are thin. Even corn feild coons are likely to run half mile or farther if they get a jump on dogs. I would spend alot of time hunting with no action around here with hot nose dogs. Now in the north all corn, small patchy woods and lots of coon hot nosed pop up coon dogs win alot of hunts but wouldn't tree many coon here.