CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: In-breeding
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What do you all think of in-breeding a bloodline and does it seem to have affects on the dogs or is it no big deal if it is done??

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:23 pm 
IP:
To me in-breeding is a BIG no no, any brother sisters, mother son, father daughter cros or other closely related dogs is in- breeding in my book an should never be done JMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

From what I understand in-breeding is a method used to keep certain qualities in hounds going. You have a brother and a sister, or diffrent mixes with great qualities. A rattle mouth, cold nose, ect. In-breeding these dogs gives you a better then good chance of this being passed on. However, it is touchy, you will also be passing on the flaws possibly a few times fold. If you think you've got two GREAT dogs to in-breed, make dam sure you fully know these dogs qualities, flaws, and personalities before attempting. Just my two cents, i'm sure alot would disagree with me.

ATTENTION!! WASHINGTON/OREGON RESIDENTS: Interested in attending Coonhound events in your area? Visit www.wscaonline.com for an event schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:03 am 
IP:
milbourn1911 wrote:
From what I understand in-breeding is a method used to keep certain qualities in hounds going. You have a brother and a sister, or diffrent mixes with great qualities. A rattle mouth, cold nose, ect. In-breeding these dogs gives you a better then good chance of this being passed on. However, it is touchy, you will also be passing on the flaws possibly a few times fold. If you think you've got two GREAT dogs to in-breed, make dam sure you fully know these dogs qualities, flaws, and personalities before attempting. Just my two cents, i'm sure alot would disagree with me.

I belive You are thinking about line breeding, there is a deference in-breeding does nothing but make culls, I guess you could say If you have to great dogs you want to breed, breed them outside of the family tree nothin in a three gen. should have two of the same dogs. IN-breeding dogs are like in-breeding people, the ending is not gonna be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I know what I ment. I found verification of what I advised taken straight from the UKC website:

It is generally not a good idea. A brother/sister breeding is considered inbreeding. While it can be used in some cases to solidify certain traits in the puppies, it also can reinforce faults that can be very hard to eliminate for generations.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/BrdFAQs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I apologize, that wasn't ment to sound rude. I just don't talk with my head up my ##*%*. Most times if I do say anything, I usually know something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:55 am 
IP:
I wasn’t trying to undermine you what so ever. When I read your post it sounded to me like you where describing line-breeding.. It doesn’t matter what we talk about. Everyone is going to have different opinions. Does that mean we can't all get along? No. Does that mean we can't hunt together? NO. We all have different views, and I am sorry if you thought I was undermining your opinion. And I don’t want you to think I was talking just to be talking, I was just voicing my opinion. Nothing against you or any body else that thinks in-breeding is ok. I personally would not do it. Wouldn’t buy an inbred pup. Now I’m not going to say I wouldn’t buy an inbred dog. If it had every thing I thought a COONDOG should, I would pay good money for it. But from past experience in-breeding has shown nothing but the bad trait’s the parents had , and few of the good. For me! It might and probably is the best thing to do for you and your dogs, Who am I to say it isn’t. But I do apologize if I offended you or any one else .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

off topic a bit but here goes.....there was a family near here that the mom and dad were first cousins. The sons had some learning issues but when they went to get tested the picture viewer machine that the technician was going to use in evaluating them wouldn't work. So the tech. goes to look around the clinic for another one. In the meantime these two boys break down the machine and fix whatever was wrong with it. They later became auto mechanics and made a decent living at it, just couldn't do anything with their own bookwork or add stuff to save their life. Anyhow, thought that was funny and it sort of was on topic. We are all a mix of good and bad traits, some from the neck up got it and others got it all down a little further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hey i have two inbred walkers right now and it seems that they are gonna make fine coonhounds. The dad was bred back to the daughter and the guy that bred them said he talked to the vet to make sure it was ok , he told him that it is ok if the dad is bred back to the daughter , he said that is the same as pure breeding if you only do it one time , said you never know what you are gonna get if you bred them pups back to the same male again, That is just what the vet told him though I don't know for sure myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:49 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

you will find a post topic titled in breeding or line breeding with a debate on the subject . but: ALL pure bred dogs are inbred and line breeding is a term invented to describe a milder version of in breeding.i always have and always will use inbreeding and line breeding......................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

"IN-breeding dogs are like in-breeding people, the ending is not gonna be great"
That is absolutely untrue. Dogs are completely different. People suffer all kinds of disabilities and learning problems when inbred. Dogs are not so susceptible to those problems. Breeding dogs at all is a bad idea if you do not know the traits of the ancestors of both dogs. Breeding dogs in a proven line makes it that much easier to know the traits the pups are likely to inherit. Breeding unrelated dogs is a complete gamble unless you know all about the dogs in both lines. Inbreeding and linebreeding are some of the most responsible ways to breed if the breeder is careful to cull any dogs with undesireable traits and to restrain themselves from breeding again any dogs that had pups with bad traits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:34 pm 
IP:
arachyd wrote:
" Breeding dogs at all is a bad idea if you do not know the traits of the ancestors of both dogs. Breeding dogs in a proven line makes it that much easier to know the traits the pups are likely to inherit. Breeding unrelated dogs is a complete gamble unless you know all about the dogs in both lines. Inbreeding and linebreeding are some of the most responsible ways to breed if the breeder is careful to cull any dogs with undesireable traits and to restrain themselves from breeding again any dogs that had pups with bad traits.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:35 am 
IP:
all good line breeding programs need to have alittle inbreeding about every 4th or 5th gen,if you don't youy have no control over anything,out crossing is way too big of a gamble,you start over with a totaly new set of genes,both good and bad,i wont own a dog that aint line breed,i'm waiting for a pup out of a brother sister cross right now,waited for 2 years for this cross,one more thing,the breed German Jagdterriers were concocted out of 4 littermates in the 40s,so to imply thatline and inbreeding is not good yall need too do a little more research live stock is totaly diffrent than humans,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:05 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

joshua wrote:
To me in-breeding is a BIG no no, any brother sisters, mother son, father daughter cros or other closely related dogs is in- breeding in my book an should never be done JMO

I am going to agree to disagree. No I don't want to get involved with a argument. But In my opinion if you don't Line breed or in breed all we are doing is using a melting pot and flip a quarter. It all depends on the hound that you have and were that hound comes from. If the hound you have comes from a melting pot IMO, how are you going to ever know were the traits that you like came from?????????? Not all hounds are equal. I am faced with a similar problem. I am breeding back to a full brother to the sire and yes I will have to fix any that come out with bad traits, but I will be going back to the well that was started by someone with vision. after breeding back to this bloodline three times, I will have to out cross to a hound not of that bloodline but a great hound that may have traits that compliment the Bloodline I have. JMO and everyone has one. If you out cross to the next greatest thing that comes down the pike, you lose the hound that you have. JMO. I give credit for my train of thought to my seniors and LCK great hound men one and all

Just a word of advice, Know your hound and never breed a unproven hound, otherwise you are hurting our heritage.

Sarge

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 am 
IP:
what would you say?????

I gave my freind 2 walker pups, a male and female, they are both out of NTCH GRCH Briar Cliff Battle, But off of different Females.

he wants to breed them, and Sassy(the famale pup) might already be pregnant, was this a good idea to do??? i told him not to do it but he didnt listen, will the pups be weird or something?? let me know

~Becky~