CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: inbred coonhounds.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Maybe thats whats wrong with all the dogs around here??There inbreed!!!!No wonder there so ugly and tree so many blanks!!JKJK.I ant heard many cold tracks get moved due to dogs being silent on the track.If inbreedin dogs makes them better go for it.As far as breed everydog ive seen round here that ant a walker ant worth shootin.Im glad to be in the woods with a good dog no matter the breed.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I hear ya soon as this shutdown is over im gonna start those redbone pups training.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with hunting what ever dog gets in there and gets it done. Doesn't really matter the color. I've just never come across a walker that I liked enough to own. Not sayin I wouldn't own one but it would have to meet all the requirements just like the other breeds to eat feed here. Where I live if your dog can't run cold tracks you're not gunna see much. There are thick and thin spots but Where they are thick I can't get permission to hunt. So here is a question for you guys. Do you shoot out your coons for training or just praise your dogs with an occaisonal coon?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I shoot out coons to a young dogs to put some fur in his mouth. When he gets where he trees regular and has coon consistently. Then the coons stop and just praise him pet him up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

also seems like everyone has they're own technique on training too. I refuse to shoot out a coon unless the pup does mostly everything right. For example I was running my old dog with my pups(1 at a time), and unless the pup helped track and tree it didn't get fur.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Im getting ready to start taking these pups to the woods,first in the day then ill move on to the night, ill be doing drags too, just going to use stuff i have used over the last 15yrs, might even try some different things, we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:57 am 
IP:
Iherd it was very good to line breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:00 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

it is if u have traits ud like to keep in ur dogs

Post subject: Inbreeding siblings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My two dogs are siblings and accidentally bred. The female is now pregnant. Does anyone know if the puppies will have health/physical defects or if they'll die? My vet seems to think that, but I had read they'd be fine. Does anyone have experience with this?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Post subject: Re: In-breeding
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Athompson,

They may be fine. Don't give upon them too soon. Give them a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i dont know much bout coondog line breeding but fox pen dogs and deerdogs you can get one or two really good dogs and the rest of the pups will be wild and crazy like humans inbreeding and having hadicap kids the dogs can patentional turn out the same way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:46 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

In one of John Wick's books he mentioned crossing litter mates, for six or eight generations, and had zero physical or health abnormalities. He said that the litters really got to looking similar in their markings and their hunting styles.

Personally, the best coonhound I have ever seen or heard of is from a litter mate cross. She might have a screw loose from time to time, but is a lot of fun to be around and you will never find a hound with more heart and drive then she has.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the responses. I researched it online and also read that chapter in John Wicks book, and I decided to keep these puppies and then get my female spayed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Dave Dean was a man a head of the times when it came to breeding. He was written letters from ukc about his breeding tactics in the 60's, they told him he was going to ruin the bluetick as a breed. He made brother/sister crosses, mother/son and many other real close crosses and he has proven that it has worked for 26 generations in his Hammer line. Most of our stock is line bred off from the Original Northen Blue Hammer. Grandpa picked up Hazel Hill Hammer from Dave in 1962. I have a male and a female out of Hammer 26 and different Hammer 18 females. I found it fitting to bring the Hammer line back in after 50 years of Hazel Hill breeding. We have been able to hold onto the desired traits generation to generation from inbreeding and line breeding. It has worked for us since 1949.

A young man brought his bluetick over and wanted to breed her to my male. I asked him the lineage behind her and she seemed to be bred up good. We talked about the way she hunts and her faults, thats when the can of worms opened. She slicked treed a lot, treed possom at times and often would not start any tracks on her own. I could have taken $250 for the stud fee, but I asked him if he wanted a dozen like her and he said well no. I said than dont breed her. We hunted with a male of mine and one of our females that night and after our hunt I told him if he wants a good dog I can find him one. He took home a 6 month old pup in the morning and he said it has been the most natural, hard hunting, accurate dog he has ever owned. He said the female went back to his uncle and the pup started on it's own doing it right the first night in the woods. He said he just worked it on a drag for a few week and turn one cage coon out in front of it and he was ready to go.

All I can say is know what the linage is and make sure the dogs you breed have the desired traits evn back in the pedigree. All it takes is one bad cross to ruin the next generation. Good luck!

For the betterment of the Bluetick breed,

Brad & Alison (Wilcox) McGill
(660) 833-3180

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

There is a guy around here got some old line walkers he has inbdeed line breed for years. The good ones are awsome but the ones that turn out bad is as bad as the good ones are good. But im talking about hunting skills. For as defects never heard of him haven any problems. Just the bad habits are times 10 on the bad one but same for the good.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire