CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: inbred coonhounds.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I too would like to hear an answer to this question. I don't have the hunting experience of you two, and it's nice to read two old houndsmen shootin back and forth, but i have never hunted with a good redbone. I've hunted with a lot of dogs, mostly walkers are predominant in my area, but at hunts you come across all breeds. I prefer blue but have owned some very good walkers as well. My problem with the walkers is that they have a tendancy to jump a tree too quickly sometimes. My blue dogs may not have ran the fastest track but the accuracy was barnone better than my walkers on the large scale. I too like to hunt my blue dogs with walkers, especially younger walkers due to the ability to get the young dogs on a good track.

It's nice to see some experienced houndsmen who are willing to answer questions in a manner that does not demean new hunters. In my opinion, if more hunters had your attitudes toward hound hunting more new hunters would not be so intimidated to try and get into it.

As my signature says, "don't matter the breed, as long as it's treed". I'm just a newer hunter who's lookin to gain the experience over time that the two of you have.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I raise redbones but i did have some blueticks and a plott a one time, im not color blind when it comes to good coon dogs. I just perfer reddogs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Cricket was a pr redbone. She was bred by Kevin Shirley in Kentucky. She was bought by a man in Wisconsin. He raised her sold her to me when she was 4yr. I've hunted with all breeds but a blue. I don't no n e body that has them around me. My buddy had a English that was out of michigan swamp rooster and was a good dog but that old red would mop the floor with her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

TC or sarge have either of you read the book how to breed dogs by Leon F. Whiteney. No pun intended ive just recently picked it up and its very interesting bout every kind of dog you can think of this guy was breeding all sorts of crazy stuff to produce any new dog or hound.

I personally thnk half sis half bro is to close i wont ever do it intentically, but you better be perpaired if pups come out wrong. All houndsman need to know when to give up on a pup. So many devote to much time in a hound that they could of deposed of, raised a pup shot out a 100 coons, before the other one would stick to a tree.

Far as my coonhounds there linebreed not close but enough. Our running coyote hounds are croggin bred tight. Our best dogs are composed of a nephew aunt cross that has took place several times but we only have pups out of two crosses now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It was just a accidental breeding. But from what i seen so. Far we may have something with these two. But i will keep this breeding from happening again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I will let u know and keep yall up todated on how they turn out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hmm what about a father daughter cross? I have two now and really like the one female, enough to go get her baby sister.

MSG Farley Ret. the leatheman ring dog in your females pedigree is that a rankin's blue lead bred dog? How was the track speed on that female?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ive had a few red bones never liked the way the ran im not a fan of a dog that boowhos around stickin its nose in every track .....i hunt walkers and i love em but i train a pair of blue dogs outta smokey river this summer and i have to say i LOVE how dritty those dogs were they hunt totally different then my walkers who chase every track like hes gonna catch the damn thing but i must say i enjoyed those blue dogs too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It all depends on the line of red dogs you run. just like some walkers don't like to circle the tree to make sure they got the goods. Some english don't like cold tracks and never seen a walker that could start one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My dog strike can move a cold track fairly well, his dad will check himself. My female shes a little quiet on track til it gets better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

btt

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:53 pm 
IP:
Shaggy wrote:
It all depends on the line of red dogs you run. just like some walkers don't like to circle the tree to make sure they got the goods. Some english don't like cold tracks and never seen a walker that could start one.

You've never seen a walker that couldn't start a cold track?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Seen about every breed have cold nosed dogs some just more than others.I live in the mountains of east tn I tend to see more cold nosed blue dogs and black dogs,but I know of some walkers that are cold nosed too.Inbred dogs can make some of the best dogs depending on the parents.Just my opinion but I call it like I see it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:45 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Buckets wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

You've never seen a walker that couldn't start a cold track?

Nope as a matter of fact. Not like the other breeds. Around here they have a hot nose and they tend to be tree happy. And if you find one thats not tree happy they babble constantly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:27 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have only hunted with two walkers that could move a cold track around here .. those are the only walkers i would i would of owned it depends on what u like. A good coondog is a good coondog no matter what color.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next