CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:35 am 
IP:
Which of these two traits do you prefer over the other and why?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:53 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I like the track speed where I live.. the trees here are few and far between.. so if you got a fast track hound.. you can get them up the tree faster.. and they usually are close enough that they dont need the tree power!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:41 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I like tree power because we've got a bunch of trees and usually as soon as that ringtail hears a dog let out on track they'll go up the first thing they see. So you need a good treeing dog to tell which tree he has went to and we've got mountains so he has to tree hard to hear him.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Good Tree dog. It isn't good to have a fast track dog that you can't hear when he trees.

Dylan Crabtree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Im with bigbendhunter its not good to have a dog that you cant hear on tree.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:46 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

depends....

pleasure hunting i would rather him be fast on track, i can track him on a system. plus the faster he tracks the more drops i can get in a night.

comp hunting i would like more tree power. when getting your pluses you will need to be able to hear him over the rest so i would like him really really loud. in the same breath though if you are comp hunting you want to get to the tree first so you can get the most points.

it's a quagmire. i personally can tolerate a fast tracker with a smaller voice than a slow tracker with a big voice...from what i've seen of my boy so far he is a pretty fast tracker with a big voice...lucky me...:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:40 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I am not a competition hunter, more of a fur hunter and I prefer hounds with some other qualities, some brains and comman cents! I want a tactful hunter not a mechanical acting hound. I want crtters in the back of my pickup and no vet bills from dum hounds!

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:21 pm 
IP:
track speed. a dog that drives a track makes a coon climb and many times puts enough pressure on him to make him take any tree instead of making it to a den. it's also been my experience that good track dogs tend to be more accurate tree dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if you comp hunt you want a dog to do everything fast- fast to strike and fast track so youll get first strike and first tree. as long as he stays at the tree your good- he dont have to be pretty doing it but hes gotta stay there barking... i havnt started comp hunting yet but im going to learn the rules and everything but personally i like a TREEDOG. i like nothin better than a nice ol bluetick strikin a good track gettin there to the tree with accuracy and really raisin hell at the tree... i like one to be able to track a good cold tack and tree a layup if thats the only thing out there. so really id like my dogs to be balanced and have a good nose but i love to see a hard treeing dog. i dont want one to go nuts on the tree and bark at everything and face bark and chew on anything his mouth touches but i want em belly up tellin me with all their heart that theres a coon up there and he wants it...

Post subject: I
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:47 pm 
IP:
I got to have alittle of BOTH and a WHOLE LOT OF CONSISTANCY !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

have to beable to TRACK it before you tree it!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I like for my dogs to have smarts and girt with a medium to cold nose. I dont really need a dog with alot of mouth on the tree to bear hunt cause its always more than one dog so there is not a problem hearing em treed. Smarts are good cause they always know how to work the track and dont mess up and girt is needed to put em up lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:51 pm 
IP:
I'm a hobbie hunter and I would rather a dog that can work out a track. I cant stand to be sitting on the road listening to a dog go round and round running every little track it smells. If a dog can stay on one track and hurry a coon up the tree quick then it wont have to tree as hard till we get to em. Then we have time to turn it loose and try to get another before it gets to late in the woods.
We got one dog thats a dang good treeing dog but he takes forever to tree and by the time he's treed hes a million miles away and deep in the woods.Good thing hes a good treeing dog because he seems to always be where its hard to reach. We also got a gyp that will track every little trail and go round and round not wanting to settle on one lead and by the time she settles on a track the coon is long gone. So I can tell you I dont care for a dumb dog either! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:50 am 
IP:
jeff anderson wrote:
track speed. a dog that drives a track makes a coon climb and many times puts enough pressure on him to make him take any tree instead of making it to a den. it's also been my experience that good track dogs tend to be more accurate tree dogs.

ill 2ed that

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:40 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

LCK wrote:
Which of these two traits do you prefer over the other and why?

A fast dog with grit works best for me with the bears. Ususally, I run five to eight hounds on a bear and there are ususally hounds on the wood with a good, loud voices. My Ike dog can ususally be heard first from a distance. However, none of that tree bark happens unless you have a hard runner or two in the pack while after western bears.

Keep'em treed!
ike