CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If you had a coondawg, that had everything you wanted in a coondawg but one thing, what would that one thing be that you would give up? Voice,Tree power,independence, tracking ability, starts young etc. etc.

For example I hear a lot of guys talk about big mouths, but if a dog can't track, whats the point? Just curious to see what you more experienced hunters value most and least in a dog.
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'd give up early starting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:07 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'd give up tree power. It doesnt matter how hard they tree as long as their under a coon and if they have a big mouth then it shouldnt be a problem anyways when it comes to hearing them and calling them

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't really like dogs that open on track alot, just a handful of locates and start blowing the tree top out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I guess I'm with Walker117, tree power. Don't get me wrong, I want a switch over, and I want a dog to stay treed when he commits, but I don't have to have 150 barks a minute to get to him. I think moer than whats overrated, you should look for whats most underrated, SMARTS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Tree power

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would have to give up....... packing with other dogs. I want a hound that's going to throw dirt in your face when he leaves gets struck fast moves the track fast and just slam dunks a tree with a coon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

That was kinda what I was thinkin, tree power, or voice, I mean obv you want a hound you enjoy listening to, but none of that doesn't matter if he can tree a coon.
If we had to come up with a list what would be the top 5 most desirable traits.

I think my list would go something like this.

1. Drive
2. Smarts
3. Track
4. Speed
5. Accuracy

I wasn't sure if I wanted to put down accuracy or not, because I think that kinda goes with a smart track dog. I chose not to include treeing because it seems almost like any walker hound these days will tree.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think my top 5 would be like this
1.SMARTS
2.Track
3. Accuracy
4. Tree
5. Independance

1-3 kinda go hand in hand, I picked tree next not cause I want a dog to blow the tree down, but I want him to stay treed when he commits. I want enough independance so my dog will do his own thing and not follow the other dogs around, although I don't mind if my dog trees on the same tree as another dog if the coon is there. Unlike up north where there are alot of coons, a dog thats too independant will get you shut out down here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

negariverrat wrote:
1.SMARTS
2.Track
3. Accuracy
4. Tree
5. Independance

1-3 kinda go hand in hand, I picked tree next not cause I want a dog to blow the tree down, but I want him to stay treed when he commits. I want enough independance so my dog will do his own thing and not follow the other dogs around, although I don't mind if my dog trees on the same tree as another dog if the coon is there. Unlike up north where there are alot of coons, a dog thats too independant will get you shut out down here.

I think you are confusing North with Mid West. Pennsylvania is a North East state. Around here most of the hunts I've been to one coon can win your cast. I've seen cast tree 3 or 4 but one is more common. Now places I've deer hunted Ohio,Illinois and Missouri I can tree coon with a stick and a flash light.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Jef Futscher wrote:
negariverrat wrote:
1.SMARTS
2.Track
3. Accuracy
4. Tree
5. Independance

I think you are confusing North with Mid West. Pennsylvania is a North East state. Around here most of the hunts I've been to one coon can win your cast. I've seen cast tree 3 or 4 but one is more common. Now places I've deer hunted Ohio,Illinois and Missouri I can tree coon with a stick and a flash light.

My bad, I live in Ga, so most everywhere is "up north" from here lol. I have never hunted anywhere besides the south, I just see on here alot of folks looking for a "competition hound" and one of the requirements seems to always be a dog that won't tree with another dog. Just because a dog will tree with other dogs don't make him a me too dog. Around here a dog like that will not do much winning, cause if the other dogs tree a coon in 200 yds, he may go 2 miles without striking another track. IMO if the coon is there, I expect my dog to be there, if not I don't see it as he ignored the other dogs, he ignored the coon.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

So it seems that smarts tracking ability and drive, seem to be the top desired traits. As a walker fan, I guess im crap out of luck...jk lol

No seriously, I'm strongly considering getting another pup here soon. However everyone talks there stud dogs up so much, its like wading through a manure pit.

What line of walkers in your opinion are known for there smarts?

Do you find smarter dogs, tend to not take too kindly to strangers?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would give up tree power I think most dogs that are overpowering tree dogs do the most slick treeing. I don't care how hard they tree just as long as I know they are treed. I have hunted walkers all my life and am switching to english walker breeders have gotten out of control on tree power that has led to in inacurracy. To much line breeding has led to this also. We need to get back to coon dogs and not tree dogs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:32 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I want a dog that don't go back another dog up I like being split treed and I could care less how hard it treed as long as it stays at the tree and has a coon up it I want a loud mouth dog so I can hear it trackin and treein cause I don't use a track system

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think one of the most unrated traits is a dogs heart and love for doing the sport. A dog that just loves to be off the chain and is excited everytime he gets in the box. Nothing like having a dog you can just tell that they love doing what you want them to do.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14